Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
24%
30%
19%
19%
1 - Worst
7%

Total votes: 94

Zack
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Post by Zack »

Opinion: Live album is great. Showed them the way to DSOM and greatly improved the two ASOS cuts which weren't very good on the album. Introduced Eugene to the world.

As for the studio, Several Species and the Narrow Way are the best songs to listen to on LSD ever (with Yes' Close to the Edge second). Rick's and Nick's parts are crap. Grantchester Meadows is the best thing on the album.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Zack wrote: Several Species and the Narrow Way are the best songs to listen to on LSD ever
Factual Correction:

Don't worry Kyoko, Mummy's only looking for her hand in the snow from the album Live Peace in Toronto by Plastic Ono Band is the best song to listen to on LSD. Over and over. Make sure to take at least 10,000 micrograms.

I'm Kidding! Please don't do it.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I like this album and the weirdness it brings. It may not be their best but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to it. Listening to it at mid-night in the dark is pretty cool.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

the live disc is great - and i liked the studio disc when i was younger but i really cant be bothered with it these days.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I like them both. The live part is the best.
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

Idisaffect wrote:
Zack wrote: Factual Correction:

Don't worry Kyoko, Mummy's only looking for her hand in the snow from the album Live Peace in Toronto by Plastic Ono Band is the best song to listen to on LSD. Over and over. Make sure to take at least 10,000 micrograms.

I'm Kidding! Please don't do it.
No worries. My tripping days are long over. Not sure about the Yoko experiment in any case.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Apart from Grantchester Meadows which I like very much. The rest of the studio recordings are very poor. As for the live recordings there simple awful. Grantchester is on my hard drive. I haven’t listened to the LP in years.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Some differently mixed stuff from the live album has just shown up. Also has an uneditted ASOS from the Mothers show.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

The live album is the jelly of the whole thing. The studio stuff could not stand up on its own. The Narrow Way is the only one that is worth listening to, even then it is a bit rough but enjoyable in spots.
Careful with that axe, Eugene is near perfect on the live album as is Set the controls...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Yup. It's still SOOOOO ahead of time that only extremely few people, including me, really love the studio part as well (a bit of giggling, but mostly serious).
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

For me the only rough spot in the studio album is Mason's section. I really enjoy Sysyphus, especially the second and third part where that beautiful piano melody disintegrates into the chaotic "prepared piano" noise, it always gives me images of an ancient ship wrecking amid a storm deep at sea; it feels kinda like those programmatic pieces where the music is representing the journey of the character and ultimately his death. Waters' part is the most accomplished, in my opinion, with the perfect clash of folk and concrete music of Grantchester Meadows and the proto-Jungle tape experimentation of "Several Species", perfectly 25 years ahead of its time. Gilmour's Narrow Way is the other highlight; Part 1 is like a mirror image to Waters' Meadows but with more inventive guitar work and favoring weird "otherwordly" ambient electronic noises over concrete sounds. Part 2 is a little boring at the beginning with the constant repetition of that dark and brooding pattern, kinda reminicent of Part 1 of Sysyphus; nonetheless is an ominous piece of music that does well its job as a bridge between the two main parts, and at the end it becomes more interesting with the rising prominence of the electronic noises, giving the track a Quicksilver-esque quality. Part 3 is pretty good "normal" song that incorporates some of the best elements of the previous two pieces. Finally Masons' part, well, two tracks are the same piece of flute nonsense, so that leaves the album with one long and quite uneventful drum solo, with an upbeat and very energetic spot lost somewhere inside all the void (one thing I find interesting while listening to it right now is how the intro of Part 2 resembles and foretells the "caching" registering machine Money effect in DSoTM a few year laters. That part is then followed by a quite relaxing Eno-esque ambient part that I didn't even remember existed! Nice, not so bad afterall).

UPDATE: I am listening to the whole album right now. Forget all I just said about Waters' and Gilmour's parts being the highlihgts, Sysyphus is the sh!t! especially part IV. Put on your headphones, turn the lights out and listen to it right now! It's like a quick trip to Dante's inferno and back.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Yep, headphones on and I'm not liking it much - from Astronomy Shmonimy...( rather listen to my mum squeeze out a nobbly sausage, if I'm honest), through the rest. :?

(Apart from Granchester Meadows, of course. 8) )
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Your brain needs more acid then :-;

All the album is topnoch, with the right amounts of acid.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The Live side is great i dont care much for the studio side

2/5
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

danielcaux wrote:Your brain needs more acid then :-;

All the album is topnoch, with the right amounts of acid.

Nah, I really have had enough over the years. :D

(... should have included a lickable patch on the album...) <ii>