Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

kitkat
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by kitkat »

snifferdog wrote:
kitkat wrote: The main purpose of AMLOR is to show the dishonesty of the other Floyd members and hanger-onners, and Bob Ezrin, and that geek that made a living being in the right place at the right time (Storm Thurgosen) who tried to pretend that he was the genius behind the Animals album cover when he was just the gopher boy doing Roger's bidding and then TRYING to lay claim to the brilliance of the album cover and has been on tour for the last 20 years as the guy who made great album covers and woopeedooo and in 2009 is reduced to being a guy hanging out with the likes of Col Turner et al. Dear God...look at the fallen...the fallen.
I hate to tell you this but Roger has hung out with Col Turner as well. And..God help us ... Roger's son and the guitarist he uses on tour have answered questions on his site. Oh the shame, the shame :roll:

Yeah, I am aware of that. But, if Waters or his son knew how Col runs that site, they wouldve told him to F off. Dude was trying to lead an international coalition of "hey, lets all protest our belief that RW is lip synching". I mean, he just couldnt get off it... very strange. And when people would give a different viewpoint of that issue...he would threaten them with banning.

I know a lot of people that used to visit that forum and quit (or were banned) for being Waters fans.... including holding Waters viewpoint about the Pink Fraud period and the reason for the breakup. That hippie reject is a Gilmourite through and through...which is fine...but he doesnt like other viewpoints on his forum which makes his forum VERY boring and full of these trollish people who run around bashing people for not being orgasmic about On An Elevator Island or other Polly Samson albums. The result is a group of geeks on that forum.

All Waters knew was what his PR guy told him "Hey Roger, theres a guy here who runs a pretty popular PF website, can you say hello to him" and then this 75 year old guy walks in with a 1968 haircut and RW is likely thinking "uh....WTF?????"

LOL!!!
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

kitkat wrote: ...(I don't) like other viewpoints ... (am) VERY boring and ... (one) of these trollish people who run around bashing people for not being orgasmic about (everything Roger Waters).
Really, you don't need to spend your days reminding us of the genius of Mr. Waters - I'm sure everyone who reads this is already in agreement with you. :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

thehumanzoo wrote:
kitkat wrote: ...(I don't) like other viewpoints ... (am) VERY boring and ... (one) of these trollish people who run around bashing people for not being orgasmic about (everything Roger Waters).
Really, you don't need to spend your days reminding us of the genius of Mr. Waters - I'm sure everyone who reads this is already in agreement with you. :lol:
I'm not in agreement. Roger is no genius.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I personally prefer to reserve the word genius for the person who comes up with something important like a cure for cancer
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

Granted, genius was a rather strong word, but was used in context of the heights to which kitkat has been describing Waters to the dismissal of the other band members in this thread and a few others.
FUloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by FUloyd »

I love this album. This is certainly a return to the Floyd sound that I prefer. I think this is Floyd's best album since WYWH. I love every song. On The Turning Away may be my all time favorite Floyd song.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

No Sir, I don't like it. The only song that might save it is Sorrow.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

FUloyd wrote:I love this album. This is certainly a return to the Floyd sound that I prefer. I think this is Floyd's best album since WYWH. I love every song. On The Turning Away may be my all time favorite Floyd song.
Hmm, a bit strange to hear it from you... You said you love your Floyd with weed and without Wall-ish moaning, instead I see little weed and definitely some Wall moments. :?
PinkFloyd69
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloyd69 »

Signs of Life--boring, go-nowhere opening
Learning to Fly--No amount of annoying 80s production can stop this from being a great song. Miles better on PULSE, though
Dogs of War--crappy, cliche-ridden lyrics, an out-of-place sax solo, and some hilariously awful falsetto by David. I like the violin-synth thing, though
One Slip--I like it, despite the fact that the verse lyrics are mumbled randomly instead of fitting the melody and there's more of those annoying 80s drums, but the chorus has the only memorable hook on the album
On the Turning Away--Gilmour actually manages to write social commentary without embarrasing himself, and I like the guitar solo
Yet Another Movie--it features the line 'The babbling that I brook'. Nuff said
A New Machine--Floyd's nadir. Absolutely awful
Terminal Frost--decent elevator music, nothing more, nothing less
Sorrow--another decent song that is vastly improved on PULSE

In conclusion, a fairly mediocre album that would be improved upon live (when they started using real drums played by Nick Mason) that features a few good songs. The 80s production is annoying, some of the lyrics are laughable, but Gilmour can still play the guitar. 3/5
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

I couldn't have said it better myself, PinkFloyd69.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Steph22 wrote:No Sir, I don't like it. The only song that might save it is Sorrow.
The most boring PF song ever, imo.

I don't think that there's any way to improve it, either...well, maybe by taking it off the album and chucking it into a dustbin, perhaps.

Learning To Fly, One Slip and On The Turning Away (not necessarily in that order, either,) are the only songs on this album to justify it's appearance, imo.

Everything else is just dross.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

PinkFloyd69 wrote:3/5
:shock:

You are to much generous man, PinkFloyd69!

AMLOR = 1/5 . :-({|=
PinkFloyd69
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloyd69 »

Compared to other Pink Floyd albums, yes AMLOR is a 1, but when you compare it to music in general I feel a 3 is about fair
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Some Good (Sorrow) but mostly I think they did this album because they (or maybe just Rick) were broke or it was to keep the Name out there. Saw this tour. Great stage show & they closed with "Echoes" but the rest was so-so.
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

I saw this tour in Foxboro, Massachusetts at the patriots stadium there (and other locations) and the thing that sticks in my mind was that there were no Syd tunes played ( I really wanted astronomy domine) but that Gilmour was VERY UPSET on stage when one of the animals got stuck on its rails sliding down from the top of the stadium. He was visibly pissed off!!
The album is OK. nothing great.