Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
27%
11%
6%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 105

Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Post by Idisaffect »

kitkat wrote:Piper sounds like some geeky drug music that can only be appreciated while ruining your brain on acid. It doesnt hold up for crap which is why it doesnst sell for crap.

TFC ages well...its an intellectual album. If you get it...you get it. If you dont, go back to school or something. :lol:
It holds up. I can imagine how groundbreaking it would be without the influence of acid. Like all of those other groundbreaking, drug- free albums from the 60's. :roll: This was fresh in 1967. I'm surprised TFC means anything to you. It was also written by a person who has taken acid and ruined his brain. It also does not sell that well. And we all know that commercial sales is the main criteria for good art.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

kitkat wrote:Piper sounds like some geeky drug music that can only be appreciated while ruining your brain on acid. It doesnt hold up for crap which is why it doesnst sell for crap.

TFC ages well...its an intellectual album. If you get it...you get it. If you dont, go back to school or something. :lol:
That's the stupidest thing I've read in years.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

PublicImage wrote:

Then, I mustve been on acid, or listening to Piper, when I typed it.

<ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/
mandraxhair
Blade
Blade

Post by mandraxhair »

Ha makes no sense...

yes i read you previous post...
still makes no sense
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

PublicImage wrote:

And that comes from someone who actively monitors moom's posts 24/7!
moom wrote:Do you like opera?

I absolutely love Tosca. I'd heard some bits from it in Hitman 4: Blood Money, the Paris Opera mission.
:lol:

Priceless.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

This is good but not my favorite era of Floyd. Lucifer Sam is purely great 60's rock 'n roll tune although a bit dark sounding as was Syd's wont. Chapter 24 is my favorite song on this album. Roger's noodling bass is the backbone of this Eastern ditty based entirely on the I Ching.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

Whilst I can take or leave most of this album, it has to be said that Astronomy Domine has to be the greatest bit of psychedelia ever written!

I think Syd's PF were clearly an exciting band at this time and the few live bootlegs I've heard of that era are testament to this, but sadly I think record company expectations meant that they had to conform to this album format which wasn't really suited to them at that stage.

I think this album could've been stronger with the inclusion of Arnold Layne & See Emily Play (both fantastic songs!) and perhaps removing some of the other fillers. As it is, I just can't really enjoy it unfortunately.
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

One of my discoveriations :D (new word discovered). Love all the songs, lyrics, music. "Gluekatamin" :D it's something like halluciogen. Syd's spirit, just bursts from player and make tide in your head and body.
Rest in Peace Syd.

"ouuuuuuu MOTHER... :-; "
smth more..
"action brings good Fortune..." :-;
uuuuu....
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I gave this album a three.

I like some songs on it but it doesn't compare to their later works in my opinion.
Some great bass playing though, that's for sure! He got a great tone with that Rickenbacker.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

This LP is the font from which all Pink Floyd flows, it's the source, the wellspring. The 40th Anniversary Box Set contains the superior Mono Mix and the bonus tracks, although we still haven't heard "In The Beechwoods" or "She's a Millionare". Those of you who can't appreciate the whimsy of some of the tracks of this LP don't properly appreciate Syd. This record is about potentials. Syd never could measure up to the potential that he displayed in the LP, and the rest of the band tried to imitate it with cuts like Paintbox, Julia Dream, Point Me At The Sky... it took them another 18 months to find their feet after Syd departed. It took them four years to equal this LP, they finally did though with "Meddle."
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps that would be more appropriate to post on the Dark Side of the Moon thread? :)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

This thread is like an asylum. ](*,)

Between the delusional Syd fanciers and moom talking about how Tosca appears in Hitman 4... craziness.
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

Keith Jordan wrote:Perhaps that would be more appropriate to post on the Dark Side of the Moon thread? :)
Oh, whoops.... I was excited hahaha
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Put me on a deserted island with a generator & this is the ONLY album I would ever need. After Syd did this, no wonder he started to go a little bonkers. How do you top this album? I mean, what do you do for an encore after something as brilliant as this!??! Every song reaches me in a different way & it's always good. Syd might've realized it himself: "That's it. How do I top this because all the studio honchos were ALL over him for the next single? This is a whimsical psychedelictrip into Syd's mind. There is no love or death here, no one on a soapbox spouting political rhetoric. If I could, I would live in this album as I feel like Syd did, that the world is a scary gruesome place & I never wanted to be an adult anyway. I could smoke a joint sitting next to the Scarecrow,drink wine with Grimble Grumble & get in my rocket ship for Interstellar regions unknown. To me, this is it. The BEST album ever made....period!!