Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
30%
31%
24%
14%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 88

Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I love this album, though the awful Corporal Clegg kind of mars it for me. And, I know this is very unfashionable to say, but I never really liked Jugband Blues that much either. The rest of the album is fantastic though, and has some of my favourite PF material on it. So, I'll give it a 4/5.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

4/5 for me, with See Saw as my least favourite track. I love Syd's guitar work in Remember a Day. Let There Be More Light and Jugband Blues are great too, and of course it stands as the only 5 man Floyd album.

What chance do you think of a Piper style extended version, with Scream, Vegetable Man and the other outtakes from the mysterious Syd/Dave transition period? It would be interesting to hear the whole album in mono too.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'd say zilch. 2008, the 40th anniversary of Saucerful, came and went without a mention. I guess because Piper was a seminal album, it merited a re-release. :(
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Ron Toon over at Y said he had heard whisper of a 1969 boxset being made. TBH 1969 was far more seminal for the band than 1968, though more 1968 footage exists (damnation).
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Maybe they could amalgamate some 1968 stuff into it. 1969 is just a state of mind. Numbers on a calendar. :D
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

TBH? What's that?

It's my understanding that Piper's boxset was only released to conmemorate the 40 anniversary of the so called "official birth" of the band; given the love Gilmour and Co. feel for their transitional albums, I highly doubt they have any plans to release similar boxsets to conmemorate those anniversaries; but still one can imagine how great it would be to have boxsets for Saucerful, More, Zabriskie Point, and perhaps a 3CD Ummagumma with the live Interstellar Overdrive, Embryo (studio) and The Embryo (live) on it... :smt055
MrMustard
Axe
Axe

Post by MrMustard »

TBH-to be honest
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

my breakfast. wrote:Ron Toon over at Y said he had heard whisper of a 1969 boxset being made.

Yes, but he can't confirm anything, while Col T suggests that PFM says we can expect nothing anytime soon.

If something is released, I bet it would be an initiative of the record label, rather than the band - besides, with PF in a legal battle with EMI over royalties...

Still, it could happen. 1969/1970 is fantastic period!!!!!
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

This is not one of my favorites of the Floyd. However i love the opening bass on Let There Be More Light. Set the Controls is Roger starting to get dark and mysterious.
PinkFloyd69
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloyd69 »

Let There Be More Light--a fantastic way to start the album, great bass riff, cheesy lyrics but sung very well by Roger, Rick, and David, and an amazing end solo
Remember a Day--one of Rick's best songs. Shame he didn't like it
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun--it's almost hypnotic, with great drumming too. Putting this on one of the CDs I put in my car wasn't a great idea though, as it kind of puts me into a trance
Corporal Clegg--the album starts to lose me here. It's a nice throwaway novelty song, and it's always fun to try to figure out what's weirder--the kazoo or Nick Mason's voice. Not really "good", though, and kind of a waste of that great opening guitar
A Saucerful of Secrets--I'm not a big fan of this version, I much prefer it live (especially on Live at Pompeii, the image of Roger murdering a gong really make it better)
See-Saw--one of the few Rick songs I have to say I'm not a huge fan of, it's not bad or anything (and far from the most boring song I've ever heard bar two) but nothing I really have the itch to hear that often
Jugband Blues--if you heard this song knowing nothing about Syd Barrett, it would be almost impossible to really like. However, if you know his story, it really gives a nice emotional pull. Shine on

Overall: transitional album with three great songs, a throwaway novelty, a semi-successful experiment that would be improved upon onstage, a mediocre pop song, and a sort of epitaph to Syd. A low 4/5
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

I've got to stand up for this album as it's taking a bit of a bad rap here so far!

When I first heard this album (probably after hearing most other albums except Ommagodma and AHM) I straight away knew it was the psychedelic PF album I'd been missing.

The production quality (whilst not amazing) has a fantastic feel as if they captured a melancholic English autumn day on record. It has all the elements that Pink Floyd became famous for (melodies/eccentricity/experimentation/lunacy/nostalgia etc) and was far better than PATGOD. As far as I'm concerned, the next few albums up until Meddle totally missed the point.

This album captured true psychedelic pop at its best (and perhaps rawest) and is a fantastic document of an era, and a band discovering their sound. There's a feeling to this album that I don't get from any of the others... think I'll go and put it on now :o
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.
nothing else to say... It could be a name of CD, not only the song. It's amazing. How human could create such title. still thinking.... :-;
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

Faint wrote:Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.
nothing else to say... It could be a name of CD, not only the song. It's amazing. How human could create such title. still thinking.... :-;
Who is the man who arrives at the wall?
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

Tbonetyler wrote:
Faint wrote:Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.
Who is the man who arrives at the wall?
Sorry, didn't understood the question.. :( poor english.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

PinkFloyd69 wrote:Let There Be More Light--a fantastic way to start the album, great bass riff, cheesy lyrics but sung very well by Roger, Rick, and David, and an amazing end solo
Remember a Day--one of Rick's best songs. Shame he didn't like it
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun--it's almost hypnotic, with great drumming too. Putting this on one of the CDs I put in my car wasn't a great idea though, as it kind of puts me into a trance
Corporal Clegg--the album starts to lose me here. It's a nice throwaway novelty song, and it's always fun to try to figure out what's weirder--the kazoo or Nick Mason's voice. Not really "good", though, and kind of a waste of that great opening guitar
A Saucerful of Secrets--I'm not a big fan of this version, I much prefer it live (especially on Live at Pompeii, the image of Roger murdering a gong really make it better)
See-Saw--one of the few Rick songs I have to say I'm not a huge fan of, it's not bad or anything (and far from the most boring song I've ever heard bar two) but nothing I really have the itch to hear that often
Jugband Blues--if you heard this song knowing nothing about Syd Barrett, it would be almost impossible to really like. However, if you know his story, it really gives a nice emotional pull. Shine on

Overall: transitional album with three great songs, a throwaway novelty, a semi-successful experiment that would be improved upon onstage, a mediocre pop song, and a sort of epitaph to Syd. A low 4/5
I agree with near enough everything in this post, although i am not such a fan of STCFTHOTS, although i do feel it became something special when done live.