Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
75%
20%
2%
1%
1- Worst
1%

Total votes: 142

Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

Post by Steph22 »

One of the most introspective of the Floyd albums. Getting to the very dark period of Animals and The Wall.
Shine on parts 1-5 is classic Floyd. Absolutley flawless and sophisticated. A complete song.

Welcome to the Machine had to grow on me a bit but i now understand its full power. The opening guitar riff is so amazing and my favorite parts are Nick's tympani flourishes and Rick's organ solo bit at the end.

Have a Cigar is my throwaway track on this album. Not so fond of it, but as a true Floyd fan I appreciate it for what it's worth.

Wish you were here- the Floyd's only sing along track and probably their most recognizable melody.

Shine on parts 6-9; This is my favorite part of this album. I have to say I like this more than the first part of the song. more moody and it really showcases Rick which is a good thing all the time. Very squealy slide guitar from David if you can stand it. I love it.
vera
Knife
Knife

Re: Discography - Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here discussion...

Post by vera »

Stephen wrote:This was the first time I'd been disappointed by Pink Floyd and I still feel the same way about the album today. I bought it on its release date and went straight home to listen to it with a friend of mine who was also a Floyd fan. The only track I was familiar with was Shine On 1-5 from hearing it on the radio so I was expecting great things from the rest of it, being a bit hyper on Floyd at this time. When we had listened to it we both felt that it was a huge let down and that there was something missing, apart from Shine On of course. I've listened to it again of course but there's nothing in it that grabs me and I'd say that chronologically speaking Shine On was where my interest in Floyd came to a sudden stop, only partially revived by sections of The Wall, although I didn't listen to that until about 15 years after it was released. I voted it a 2.
](*,) Everything you said here made lol.For me this album maybe except The Wall,Animals and Meddle is fuckin best.Id say they were at their peak back then.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Vera, some people just like the "liter" Floyd and don't really get Roger's darkness.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Very good Floyd album, but not i rang with Animals and Dark Side Of The Moon. 4/5
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

jtull wrote:Very good Floyd album, but not i rang with Animals and Dark Side Of The Moon. 4/5
Agreed. Solo of Shine on makes me lizzy, have a cigar chill. tripping wormies, hop hop on the bed top :D but very slowly...
Gravy train..... i understood Cigar and baby boy mission, but Train? Fantastic. I love this album.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Faint wrote:
jtull wrote:Very good Floyd album, but not i rang with Animals and Dark Side Of The Moon. 4/5
Agreed. Solo of Shine on makes me lizzy, have a cigar chill. tripping wormies, hop hop on the bed top :D but very slowly...
Gravy train..... i understood Cigar and baby boy mission, but Train? Fantastic. I love this album.
Moom's brother, by any chance? :lol:
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

ddebil wrote:Moom's brother, by any chance? :lol:
almost, we both are Balticans, BALTIC United we stand, United we Fall.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

Does everyone else think that Roy Harper's vocal on Have A Cigar sounds exactly like a cross between Davids and Rogers?! I can hear elements of both their voices in it, it's quite strange. Or is it just me?! Listen to it... you'll see!
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

siderealxxx wrote:Does everyone else think that Roy Harper's vocal on Have A Cigar sounds exactly like a cross between Davids and Rogers?! I can hear elements of both their voices in it, it's quite strange. Or is it just me?! Listen to it... you'll see!
Really can be that they looked something very similiar, to their voices.
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

siderealxxx wrote:Does everyone else think that Roy Harper's vocal on Have A Cigar sounds exactly like a cross between Davids and Rogers?! I can hear elements of both their voices in it, it's quite strange. Or is it just me?! Listen to it... you'll see!
Totally!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

ddebil wrote:Moom's brother, by any chance? :lol:
...I was thinking exactly the same lol.

The Baltic Brothers.
Thats is all this place needs.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

ddebil wrote:
Moom's brother, by any chance? :lol:
Not att all, I think!

Moom was ignoring this BB(Baltic Brothers) thread http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... ia#p536128 so far, as it's warm potato! :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:Vera, some people just like the "liter" Floyd and don't really get Roger's darkness.
I wouldn't say it is so much not getting it as not liking it. I've never liked the idea that not appreciating something means you somehow don't understand it, otherwise we'd all be celebrating the complexities of AMLOR
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I would like this album more if they didn't bring in Roy Harper to sing Have a Cigar. Never mind how much I try, I just can't like his performance on that song, even though I appreciate the actual composition (it's great live).

For that reason, I've changed my vote to 4/5.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

PublicImage wrote:I would like this album more if they didn't bring in Roy Harper to sing Have a Cigar. Never mind how much I try, I just can't like his performance on that song, even though I appreciate the actual composition (it's great live).

For that reason, I've changed my vote to 4/5.
Same for me.

I never really accepted Roy Harpers singing on Have A Cigar.
I don't know exactly why, TBH. His performance is relatively Ok, but I just can't like it that much. :?