Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
78%
16%
4%
1%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 159

malusienka
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Post by malusienka »

It's my favourit album, it's perfect, this is what other artist should follow.
But I want to say sth about "Great gig".
I used to love it, I even tried to sing it :shock: (poor neighbours, it was really bad idea).
But now... it's too irritating.
I wonder how it would sound if they hadn't taken Clare. Then David could sing it, like he did in "Saucerful of secrets" in Pompeii. I think that it would be something amazing.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I don't think Dave would have had the vocal range to do a good job of "Great Gig". If Clare Torry wasn't singing, I think I would prefer just an instrumental version, the like of which can be heard on some earlier bootlegs. Some of these are pretty cool, but for me the Clare Torry version on the album is far superior.

I never liked the "Pulse" version of "Great Gig"; the vocals were so underwhelming.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

malusienka wrote:But I want to say sth about "Great gig".
Then David could sing it, like he did in "Saucerful of secrets" in Pompeii. I think that it would be something amazing.

Yes. Amazingly bad. <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.> <.8.>
malusienka
Knife
Knife

Post by malusienka »

I didn't say he would sing like Torry... no, THAT would be horrible :lol:
He would just make something different with it...

I love great gig without vocalization, like 9.12.1972 - it's even more dramatic than Clare's verion, which I also like.
psychocandy
Axe
Axe

Post by psychocandy »

it would be a perfect album if it wasn't for money.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

This is when they finally "made it". After years of trying to find their way in the fickle world of rock n' roll, and let's face it up until DSOTM Pink Floyd were not exactly playing top 40 radio friendly hits. They had stopped putting out singles years before and had alienated themselves from the music press. As someone mentioned in an other thread this was a marked departure from their days as a soundscape/jam outfit. David even said that Any Colour you like was their excuse to jam out and pay a little respect to their old ways.

I am a fan of early Floyd, particularly the era after Syd and before DSOTM, not to say I don't like the hits, I love it all.
As for DSOTM, Any Color you like is probably my fave tune along with Time. There's nothing like Nick's drum solo in Time! Love the early versions of On The Run when it was the Travel Sequence jam number.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Steph22 wrote: As for DSOTM, Any Color you like is probably my fave tune along with Time.
There's nothing like Nick's drum solo in Time!
Love the early versions of On The Run when it was the Travel Sequence jam number.
1. When I listen to ACYL, I imagine watching kaleidoscope :D - the thing is just like that.
2. They say Nick is not a good drummer, but then, he should get a lot of credit for this drumming alone.
3. Me too :)
YetAnotherFloydian
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnotherFloydian »

Quite simple: the best album I've heard in my life so far (I'm 24 (nov. 12)).
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thb-5KfcmK8
Any Colour You Like - Pink Floyd "BBC Archives 1974" Harvested Records (HRV CDR 033)

<.8.>
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

last time i've voted. I gave 2/5. It's such a SHAME... :roll:
I love this album so much! And i CAn'T IMAGINE my mornings without BRAIN Damage or On the Run. Now I know why this album is the most popular.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Faint wrote:And i CAn'T IMAGINE my mornings without BRAIN Damage

<.8.> <.8.>

:lol:
floyd_beatles_95
Hammer
Hammer

Post by floyd_beatles_95 »

Possibly their best, along with The Wall! <ii>
Terentek
Axe
Axe

Post by Terentek »

I suppose it would be difficult for latter day Floyd fans to truly appreciate how this album hit home when it was released.

I remember walking into my brothers room and their were all these ticking clocks and then the alarm bells all went off :lol:

I sat up all night with the headphones and played this album the whole night through.
As soon as it finished,I turned it over and started again.

In a world awash with the next greatest thing,I wonder if there will ever be an album or a time that we had with this release?
Again,in an age where the term"Classic album" is SO over used.
This is a classic of all the classics,

One track I Really want to mention that I see others have mentioned is "The Great Gig In The Sky"
How can so much have been said in that song without a single word uttered?.

Masterpiece.

Nigel
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Tbonetyler wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thb-5KfcmK8
Any Colour You Like - Pink Floyd "BBC Archives 1974"
Thanks! I had forgotten how good it was ...oh I really miss the times when they used to add some impovised flavors to this song and others.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

People will probably line up to shoot me but this has to be one of the MOST OVERPLAYED RECORDS EVER!!!! They have so much material out there & all you hear on the radio is this , The Wall & the song "Wish you were Here". Brilliant in it's own right but I am sick to death of this album. No one EVER plays any Syd or "More" or "Obscured by Clouds" & I think those albums are better than DSOTM> Sorry, just one man's opinion but if I Didn't have to hear DSOTM for a year, it would be too soon!!!!!!!!