David Gilmour Live at Gdansk - Web Content

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: David Gilmour Live at Gdansk - Web Content

Post by drafsack »

Hogtown wrote:Neil Young's Archive Vol.1 on blu-ray is way better David...as new material becomes available, those with the boxset get updates and new downloads. It came out yesterday, and already a new song was found and available yesterday...rust never sleeps...
Thing is, the difference between David and Neil is that people actually want to listen to David. Also do you post as much about David/Pink Floyd on the Neil Young forum you use as you post about Neil Young on this Forum??
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

drafsack wrote:
Hogtown wrote:Neil Young's Archive Vol.1 on blu-ray is way better David...as new material becomes available, those with the boxset get updates and new downloads. It came out yesterday, and already a new song was found and available yesterday...rust never sleeps...
1. Thing is, the difference between David and Neil is that people actually want to listen to David.

2. Also do you post as much about David/Pink Floyd on the Neil Young forum you use as you post about Neil Young on this Forum??
1. "David who?" is what a lot of people I personally know would say. Neil Young they know. Actually, I see a lot of similarities between On an Island and Harvest Moon, AND I know many people would rather listen to Harvest Moon.

2. I am only a member of two forums. Both Pink Floyd. (EDIT: You seem to post a lot about the misses' love of Bon Jovi, or is it Def Leppard?)

My post is relevant, because it is a comparison of two multi-format releases, both with the premium (expensive) box coming with the ability to download content. One IS better than the other in terms of quality of the medium.
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

I see what you are saying that, on the face of it, the Neil Young release is better, but is there really anything else that David Gilmour can or would want to release as part of the OAI project? Personally, I would not be bothered about:

- outtakes from the "On an Island" album

- any studio jams, which I would likely only listen to once or twice unless they were really stunning works (I suspect that the Barn Jams on the Gdansk set suffices for this)

- alternate live versions: with the exception of the Great Gig in the Sky (which by all accounts was weak anyway) and the Remember a Day Rick Wright tribute (available by streamed video at davidgilmour.com), there are already enough versions of all the material in the public domain already

- remixes - would anyone want a dance/trance remix of On an Island (I know there is that small clip on the Remember a Night DVD which is quite fun)? Or, does anyone listen to the 5.1 version of On an Island? Really?

- demo versions

- soundchecks - ok that Gnarls Barkley cover is "enough fun", but I think we can all live without an official release of this.

The "On an Island" project can be criticised for many things, but it is certainly comprehensive!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

drafsack wrote:the difference between David and Neil is that people actually want to listen to David
You reckon? I would think Neil Young is a far bigger name than David Gilmour is (although not as big as Pink Floyd) and has enjoyed a much longer and more succesful career as a solo artist than Gilmour is ever going to, releasing a total of 3 solo albums compared to the 30 or so that Young has. One is an utter legend and the other played for a legendary band
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

David Smith wrote:
drafsack wrote:the difference between David and Neil is that people actually want to listen to David
You reckon? I would think Neil Young is a far bigger name than David Gilmour is (although not as big as Pink Floyd) and has enjoyed a much longer and more succesful career as a solo artist than Gilmour is ever going to, releasing a total of 3 solo albums compared to the 30 or so that Young has. One is an utter legend and the other played for a legendary band
Maybe Neil Young had more material, but:-

a) David IS a legend because he basically WAS Pink Floyd (despite the Roger-lovers out there, the Floyd as we knew it would have disappeared after the 60s if it wasn't for Dave)

b) Neil Young is a class A wanker. Always has been. I can't stand to listen to anything he's ever recorded (or said) for more than a minute.

c) The only reason Dave's name isn't (quite) as well known in the "mainstream" is because he was subserviantly sharing the limelight with the Pink Floyd name all this time, whereas Neil Young has always been known as a solo act ... duh!

Just my humble opinion - not too much "Flaming" if you don't mind (ooh the puns are out in force today)

Cheers <ii>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

cskg25 wrote:a) David IS a legend because he basically WAS Pink Floyd (despite the Roger-lovers out there, the Floyd as we knew it would have disappeared after the 60s if it wasn't for Dave)
Syd Barrett was Pink Floyd. The other two went off on Syd's tangent. Fact. :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

cskg25 wrote:a) David IS a legend because he basically WAS Pink Floyd (despite the Roger-lovers out there, the Floyd as we knew it would have disappeared after the 60s if it wasn't for Dave)
As Keith said. Plus you can easily say that if Waters had not emerged as a leading song writer then Pink Floyd would never have got anything close to the heights of Dark Side through to The Final Cut.
cskg25 wrote:b) Neil Young is a class A wanker. Always has been. I can't stand to listen to anything he's ever recorded (or said) for more than a minute.
Are these two points here related? I got to say i reckon Gilmour is a class A wanker, though it's never effected how much i enjoy his music.
cskg25 wrote:c) The only reason Dave's name isn't (quite) as well known in the "mainstream" is because he was subserviantly sharing the limelight with the Pink Floyd name all this time, whereas Neil Young has always been known as a solo act ... duh!
Actually Young shared the limelight with a few groups before hand. Admittedly, yeah he left them a while ago though. Must say though that because Dave was never the chief song writer of Pink Floyd during their prime years. Hence why i say one is an utter legend and the other was part of a legendary band.
cskg25 wrote:Just my humble opinion - not too much "Flaming" if you don't mind (ooh the puns are out in force today)
Not at all sir, you're entitled to it. I've just never heard anyone say they dislike Neil Young before i saw this thread :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Has anyone checked what the last download is for September?

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... oad-update

Was it all of CD5 in the end?

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live In Venice And Vienne)
2. Dominoes (Live In Paris)
3. The Blue (Live In Vienne)
4. Take A Breath (Live In Munich)
5. Wish You Were Here (Live In Glasgow)
6. Coming Back To Life (Live In Florence)
7. Find The Cost Of Freedom (Live In Manchester)
8. This Heaven (Live In Vienne)
9. Wearing The Inside Out (Live In Milan)
10. A Pocketful Of Stones (Live In Vienne)
11. Where We Start (Live In Vienne)
12. On The Turning Away (Live In Venice)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yep that's what it was. I just popped the disk in and checked. What a wasted opportunity ](*,)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

They could have shared packages of Polly's photos backstage, video and the like. A bit boring putting CD5 up on there. Oh well. An excellent tour it was and good fun!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yeah. I bought the 5 disc set (still think it's beautifully packaged) and there's something pointless about rewarding people who've shelled out for it with mp3s of what they have already. Oh well, that's the end of Gilmour's On An Island adventure now.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

snifferdog wrote:Oh well, that's the end of Gilmour's On An Island adventure now.
Well, that is that then! :lol:

I am trying to think of what packages didnt include CD5 and what benefit it would have given to fans to have CD5 available for download. I guess it was the one and two DVD package with the audio CD. Perhaps only a small % of people shelled out for the full deal, which would actually make it a good thing to make CD5 available as a bonus download.
PinkFloyd69
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloyd69 »

Also, in the US, the 5-disc was available only online or at Best Buy
Scott M2
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Scott M2 »

Thanks for the info in this thread.

I have the 5 disc set and tried for the 1st time today accessing the "Bonus" material.
It's gone now and I thought I'd missed some interesting tracks.
Now I know it's just disc 5 and shall sleep soundly.

Cheers!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

All I know, is I listened to the album yesterday for the first time in a long time, and quite enjoyed it...my conclusion is that the marketing people came up with the silly idea of having web content available for people who bought the box set, even though only Wot's...is the only treat among the "web content"...and, even then, it is a low bit rate mp3...I guess it got people to the website...but, only super fans would buy the box, and thus know about the website...ah, marketing people...