Floyd Survey - Pt3 - Favourite Era, member and best musician

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Floyd Survey - Pt3 - Favourite Era, member and best musician

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... pink-floyd

Big Pink Floyd Survey - Part 3 - Favourite Era, Member and Best Musician of Pink Floyd Favourite Era

The hotly debated question of whose era of Pink Floyd was the best is one that has been debated with a passion on the internet forums! People have sunk to new depths to defend their Syd Barrett, Roger Waters or David Gilmour led era! Others have casually observed that they just like the music and couldn’t care less who “led” the band during the time their favourite albums and songs were released.

Another thing to be said is that all members of Pink Floyd brought something to the table (most of the time, except when Rick got fired temporarily during the Wall Sessions and beyond) throughout all three eras regardless of who “led” the band.

The soaring padded melodies of Rick Wright, the far out innovation of Syd Barrett, the musical brilliance of David Gilmour, the throbbing base lines and intellectual integrity of Roger Waters and the sparse drumming from Nick Mason who left “space” in his music for other notes to flourish all led to something brilliant.

It was thus a treat to hear and see them all together (including the memory of Syd Barrett) at London’s Live 8 event in 2005 after 24 years of being apart.

And the winner is...

For those to whom the question is important, it is the Roger Waters led era which was the best according to NPF site visitors! He scored 82.6% of the vote which is overwhelming. David Gilmour, with his Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell got 11.2% and Syd Barrett’s Piper at the Gates of Dawn era got 6.2%.

Favourite Era by Gender and Age

Download: Chart above as PDF (455kb)

I am sure there will be hardcore Barrett fans out there who will not listen to anything post-Barrett. Likewise, there are probably David Gilmour led Pink Floyd fans who don’t even know who Syd Barrett is! Of course, most are Roger Waters era fans who probably don’t mind the whole journey from beginning to end. We will see later in the survey how fans rate the individual albums and what their favourite songs are.

Anyway, now that the three simple facts of this article are out of the way, the rest of this article is concerned with looking briefly at what happened in those eras.

The Barrett Era – Start until 1967 [6.20% of total]

Links > View Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd Photos

Pink Floyd was very much Syd’s band in the early days in the years before Piper at the Gates of Dawn was released in 1967 up until he experienced his mental breakdown due to excessive drug use and his probably underlying mental health issues. The album has whimsical lyrics about space, scarecrows, gnomes, bicycles and fairytales, along with psychedelic instrumental passages.

There was a brief time when Pink Floyd was a 5 man band with Syd Being left at home like a “Brian Wilson” figure (5 man Floyd photos). Even Davy O’List from The Nice stepped in for one show when Pink Floyd were supporting The Jimi Hendrix Experience as Syd was too much under the influence to play through his excessive drug use.

Shall we pick Syd up? No.

It was decided one day that the band would simply not pick Syd up to go to the gig they were travelling to. Thus David Gilmour joined the band and Syd Barrett went off to work on his solo albums. His own band left him behind to pursue their professional music career.

A larger percentage of women (9.52%) than men (5.79%) preferred the Syd Barrett era out of everyone who took the survey. Perhaps because Syd was a smooth little heartbreaker back in his day! It was mainly younger respondents to the survey that preferred the Syd days which is surprising: I personally thought it would turn out to be more mature women!

The Waters Era 1968 to 1983 [82.58% of total]

Links > View Roger Waters era Pink Floyd photos

Although Roger had some songs on Pink Floyd’s debut album, it wasn’t until he was thrown in the driving seat on the second album, A Saucerful of Secrets [1968], that Roger became the lead songwriter and thus leader of the band. Saucerful does not rate highly with Pink Floyd fans as will be seen later on in the survey for some reason.

Roger continued to develop as the main songwriter over the coming years with the albums More [1969], Ummagumma [1969], Atom Heart Mother [1970], and Meddle [1971]. Although the albums are littered with Gems (a good amount of which were written by Gilmour, Wright and Mason view here), it was not until Obscured by Clouds in 1972 that Roger’s Pink Floyd really started to gel and take off. It was after this that four of the best known and highly rated albums were released thus making Roger the true “creative force” behind Pink Floyd.

The Big Four

In 1973, the epic Dark Side of the Moon arrived which dealt with the theme of “life and the pressures of life”. It launched the band to a new level of fame and popularity. It was extensively toured and brought many new fans to the band. It was perhaps this new level of fame and subsequent treatment by their record company that brought feelings of remoteness and resentment to Roger as he then went on to write Wish You Were Here [1975].

The third album of the big 4 was Animals [1977]. It was on the Animals tour in Montreal on 6th July 1977 that the infamous “Spitting Incident” occurred where a fan was climbing up the netting between the fans and the band on the stage and Roger Waters spat in his face out of frustration. You can hear on Bootlegs recorded from that day people setting off fireworks to which Roger objected over the microphone. Download it from this page. This incident was a catalyst in the creation of The Wall [1979].

The Wall was a very self-indulgent album with Roger Waters and his ego firmly at the centre of it. Many people found it excruciatingly frustrating and painful to work with Roger during this period. The tension between Roger and the rest of the band caused The Wall to be the last of the “great albums” the band would record. Of course, The Wall spawned great caricatures as developed by Gerald Scarfe, a phenomenal stage design my Mark Fisher, and The Wall movie starring Bob Geldoff as directed by Alan Parker with screenplay by Roger Waters.

In 1983, The Final Cut album was released which would be the final album Roger would work on with Pink Floyd. Indeed, this is the only studio album in the Pink Floyd catalogue that keyboardist Richard Wright would not record on having been fired from the band by Roger and others during the recording of The Wall. Rather amusingly though, The Wall shows made a massive loss financially due to their mammoth scale and complexity. This loss was borne by everyone except Richard who worked as a paid musician on the tour! Ha ha charade you are Roger!

Of people whose favourite Floyd era was this one, more men (83.25%) than women (77.06%) preferred the Waters era out of all survey respondents. With male fans making up 89% of the voters, it is quite clear that the typical Pink Floyd fan warms more to the “classic” history of the band.

The Gilmour Era 1987 Onwards [11.22% of total]

In Roger Waters mind at least, The Final Cut was to be Pink Floyd’s final album. Roger’s belief system at the time did not consider the fact that Pink Floyd could continue without him after he left the band in 1985.

The 1987 Momentary Lapse of Reason album and tour must have come as quite a shock to poor Roger! This did not go down without a bitter legal dispute in which a settlement was finally reached whereby Gilmour could continue using the name Pink Floyd. Roger was able to negotiate the end of his previous management contract with the late Steve O’Rourke and secure the rights to various things including The Wall and The Final Cut.

The album A Momentary Lapse of Reason [1987] was generally not received well by Pink Floyd fans and the music press. The album was considered a David Gilmour solo album in all but name. As you will see later, fans have rated this album well below average. It was a poor album, had generally weak pop songs, had “of the moment” 1980s production “done to it” to put it nicely and was generally not very good. None of the songs from it feature in the people’s top 20 Pink Floyd songs!

The Endless River...

The Division Bell [1994] was more warmly received by fans which featured lyrics by David Gilmour's wife Polly Samson. The song High Hopes is in the top 20 songs from this survey and was voted above average in fan ratings! Amongst other places, it was recorded on David Gilmour’s Astoria Houseboat Recording Studio which is moored on the Thames to this day.

Several shows from The Division Bell tour were recorded to video tape and released as the P.U.L.S.E live album CD as well as VHS and later re-mastered and remixed (audio and video) for the DVD release. Indeed, Wish You Were Here from the Pulse CD was the first Pink Floyd song your humble author here heard around 1994!

As with the Barrett era, the Gilmour era is slightly more heavily weighted towards female fans [13.42%] than male fans [10.95%]. The fact this era did not do near as well as the Waters era is of no great surprise as the “great 4” albums of Pink Floyd were released during Waters’ era and mostly written by him too.

Favourite Member of Pink Floyd

For those of you who are more passionate about the David Gilmour led era who are feeling a little annoyed about David only scoring 11.2% in the favourite era vote, rest assured that David Gilmour has been overwhelmingly voted as the favourite member of the band with 52% of fans holding his as their favourite member, with Roger second with 29%, followed by Richard Wright with 9%, Syd Barrett with 8% and poor Nick with just 2%!

Best Musician in Pink Floyd

It is without any great surprise the order in which the results came out below. 75% of you think guitarist David Gilmour is the best musician in Pink Floyd, followed by keyboardist Richard Wright with 14.9%. Some of you are obviously bass players yourself as Roger Waters managed 6.5% of the vote! Guitarist Syd Barrett got 2.4% and Nick Mason (who is light years better that Roger Waters on bass) only got a disappointing 1.1%. Other musicians got 0.1%. Bob Klose on guitar from very early Floyd rocks!

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Floyd Survey - Pt3 - Favourite Era, member and best musician

Post by Keith Jordan »

So, favourite era was the Wates one, Gilmour is the best musician and favourite member.

Anybody disagree with this?? Should the Gilmour era be best? Roger the favourite member and Richard Wright the best musician??
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

I agree totally except i would put syd higher than roger as a musician unless we were counting lyrics too
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yes, I would sdefinitely put Syd above Roger. I found that result to be quite surprising. Perhaps many people who voted do not know what a bass guitar is! :lol:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

hahaha and perhaps many didnt know that in the early years syd sorta just told him what to play...
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Keith Jordan wrote:Roger the favourite member and Richard Wright the best musician??
Exactly my thoughts! :D

Roger is my favourite Floyd member, and Rick was(is) the best musician in Pink Floyd!

Just my 2cent! \:D/
CHR15
Axe
Axe

Post by CHR15 »

Well Roger is my favorate member of the band. I'm surprised it wasn't closer. I expected David to win, but I thought it would be closer between him and Roger.

As far as as musicianship I think it's not surprise that Gilmour came first and Wright second... That's probably the way it should be or vice versa. The other 3... it's a tough call. Yea Syd was really good. Roger was a good musician aswell... and he often gets undervalued as a musician. He's a pretty good bass player, and decent guitarist, and he's obviously very good at hearing notes and writing music, since he wrote most of the floyd tunes, so it depends largely whether you include song writing abillity in with being a good musician. And of coarse Nick was a good drummer, but people tend to not care about drummers as much unfortunately for him, and he wasn't obviously the best drummer in the world, but his playing was exactly what the music needed. Likewise Roger's bass playing was exactly what the music needed, except for the couple of times david played bass on the record like in Pigs and hey you... that was the right decision there... when roger played guitar on the records or live instead aswell that worked... But if you listen to their the last performance of CN for example or breathe; beautiful bass playing... each of their playing complimented each other very well actually...

The era results are no surprise either.
wnylindablu
Axe
Axe

Post by wnylindablu »

<ii>

favorite pink floyd era: post roger waters with david gilmour at the helm. Favorite band member: FRom the movie Ghost: "DITTO" --hands down David Gilmour and the same for the musician as well as Richard Wright on keyboards and i have to add nick mason on those drums and Perry on SAX. Guy Pratt also on guitar.......God I love Pink Floyd & David Gilmour.........dare i add Polly Samson here for her piano playing and background vocals on SMILE? I COULD GET SHOT FOR THIS ONE. :o

linda
wny,usa
skipton01
Embryo
Embryo

Post by skipton01 »

Trouble with this survey is that for me, there is an option missing: there was a period when NO-ONE 'led' the band - after Syds departure, and once David had relaxed into the role, there was a period when the 4 members worked in total (or as total as you can get in Floyd) harmony.

The lines and dates are blurred, but from very late 1969 (post Ummagumma) to around 1974, the band produced probably their best work. It is only from 1974 onwards that the true Waters-led era starts for me, with the self-indulgent and grandiose ideas that culminated in Animals, The Wall and Final Cut. Wish You Were Here was a product of that period of harmony, but the strains were showing in the way it was recorded.

I really don't think that the 80-odd % for Waters-led is indicative of what people think. If you add in a fifth category: No Overall Control, then I think that the Waters-led era and the Gilmour-led era would be very close.

Cheers,

Mike
bazza1963
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bazza1963 »

It's gotta be post Syd and pre Dark side of the moon for me. Ok so they were a bit rough around the edges but this has to be their most experimental and adventurous period before they became too polished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9z_9cLVjE
moonrock62
Axe
Axe

Post by moonrock62 »

I gotta say it is Roger Waters I have tended to associate with Pink Floyd. Probably big influence is getting to know Floyd's music at the time of The Wall. Having said that, I then had the luxury of exploring all their music and took a special liking to the psychedelic stuff with Syd's influence and subsequently sourcing a set of Syd's solo works. Do I listen to them as much as Floyd-no but they are fascinating. The David Gilmour era is still Pink Floyd to me though in a different sense. Division Bell is a brilliant. Following Water's solo career was a bit of a luxury with another avenue of Floyd-type stuff but a bit different when solo. To sum up I love it all from go to whoa. Shine on...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote: Image
He thinks he's at least bigger than this :lol: Which he certainly is, judging by his looks.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

skipton01 wrote:Trouble with this survey is that for me, there is an option missing: there was a period when NO-ONE 'led' the band - after Syds departure, and once David had relaxed into the role, there was a period when the 4 members worked in total (or as total as you can get in Floyd) harmony.

The lines and dates are blurred, but from very late 1969 (post Ummagumma) to around 1974, the band produced probably their best work. It is only from 1974 onwards that the true Waters-led era starts for me, with the self-indulgent and grandiose ideas that culminated in Animals, The Wall and Final Cut. Wish You Were Here was a product of that period of harmony, but the strains were showing in the way it was recorded.

I really don't think that the 80-odd % for Waters-led is indicative of what people think. If you add in a fifth category: No Overall Control, then I think that the Waters-led era and the Gilmour-led era would be very close.

Cheers,

Mike
What of Wish You Were Here then? 1975 yet you didnt list it in the self indulgent Roger Waters led era.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Mine is both the Syd and (part) Waters period up to and including DSOTM after which, for me, they became for the most part bland and uninteresting.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

bazza1963 wrote:It's gotta be post Syd and pre Dark side of the moon for me. Ok so they were a bit rough around the edges but this has to be their most experimental and adventurous period before they became too polished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9z_9cLVjE
Thank you for being a soulmate of mine, and joining our community :D