David Gilmour New Material with Dr Alex Patterson of The Orb

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Gilmour New Material with Dr Alex Patterson of The Orb

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... x-paterson

David Gilmour is to collaborate with The Orb's Dr Alex Paterson to work on a new album.

In an interview with The List, Dr Alex Paterson said "I’ve just started work on an album with David Gilmour from Pink Floyd which I think every Orb and Pink Floyd fan will want to hear."

The album is likely to be in the very early stages so it is not likely to be released any time soon.

The Orb remixed Richard Wright's song Runaway in 1996, crafting two different versions of the track for a single release from Richard's Broken China album which is now out of print.

The Orb

The Orb are an English electronic music group known for popularising chill out music in the 1990s and spawning the genre of ambient house. Founded in 1988 by Alex Paterson and KLF member Jimmy Cauty, The Orb began as ambient and dub DJs in London.

Their early performances were inspired by ambient and electronic artists of the 1970s and 1980s, most notably Brian Eno and Kraftwerk. Because of their "trippy" sound, The Orb developed a cult following among clubbers "coming down" from drug-induced highs.

As you can see from the album cover on the right, The Orb are very much Pink Floyd inspired! They have re-created the infamous Animals front cover by Pink Floyd as co-ordinated by Storm Thorgerson!

If you want to find out more about the album, make sure you are getting the free NPF Newsletter.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/lists/?p=subscribe
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: David Gilmour New Material with Dr Alex Patterson of The Orb

Post by snifferdog »

It would be great if it was true. It's not that In An Elevator was a terrible album or anything but it was Gilmour on cruise mode in his comfort zone. Lots of familiar faces on either side of the mixing desk. Working with different faces on different genres of music could be interesting.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I just emailed David's manager to see if it is true. I am not sure how trustworth The List is as I had never heard of it before. Is Dr Alex Paterson of The Orb a known liar also? :lol:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

will this be Gilmour guesting on an Orb album or vice versa?
either way something to look forward to
when tDB came out some of my friends who were more into electronic music thought Keep Talking was Floyds attempt to sound like The Orb
(of course The Orb wore their own Floydian influence loud n proud)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Haha love the album cover. 8)

The album is indeed being worked on too.
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

Now *this* is what I've been waiting for!! Honestly, it sounds too good to be true. On the other hand, they both need this, since both are considered to be past their "classic" period.

Of course the Orb were influenced by Pink Floyd. Check out "The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld," the duo's first (and arguably finest) album. (Also noteworthy is "U.F. Orb.") Besides the classic "Little Fluffy Clouds," it also includes the Floyd tribute "Back Side of the Moon," and the very long "A Huge Ever-Growing Pulsating Brain...," which samples the guitar riff from "Echoes" (among about a thousand other things!). (Wait, now I'm thinking it's "Shine On" that is sampled... can't remember, it's been awhile since I've heard it... Not exactly something you'll listen to very often, probablement...)

This might be an attempt to do for Gilmour what the duo formerly did for prog guitarist Steve Hillage (1978's "Green," which was co-produced by Pink Floyd's Nick Mason; formerly of Gong). The Orb and Dr Patterson in particular were instrumental in Hillage's makeover into ambient house music etc.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I hope this is true because if so I'd actually buy the CD. I love a lot of The Orbs music, especially The Peel Sessions 1 which is superb and has the following tracks :
1. Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre
2. Back Side Of The Moon (Tranquility Lunar Orbit)
3. Into The Fourth Dimension
and, as previously mentioned, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.

Come on David..DO IT!!!! :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Stephen wrote:I hope this is true...
It is true. 8)

Let's hope it doesnt take as long as PULSE! :lol:
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

So are they actively writing an album of new material together then, or just a song or remix? Does anybody know what the nature of the collaboration is?

Either way, it is excellent news and sounds like a very interesting venture.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Keith Jordan wrote:David Gilmour is to collaborate with The Orb's Dr Alex Paterson to work on a new album.
and he is a doctor in what??

Anyway if he manage to get the ************* into doing something remotely similar to Gong's "A Sprinkling of Clouds", which is very Orbish and very Floydian at the same time, I'm gonna be berry grateful. Let's cross fingers.

EDITED BY ADMIN - Do not use that term on the forum please.

OK, guess I will just stay with the Pink Floyd cannonical "Fat Old Sun" then.
Last edited by danielcaux on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

From Brain Damage

Further to the recent story reported far and wide (details here) concerning David collaborating with Dr Alex Patterson, head honcho of top ambient band The Orb, there has been some clarification courtesy of David's official website. They note that the collaboration comments are true, albeit "up to a point. David has done some recording with The Orb and producer Youth, inspired initially by the plight of Gary McKinnon. However, nothing is finalised, and nothing has been confirmed with regards to any structure for the recordings or firm details re: any release plans." So there you have it...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

The ORB did fairly nice trance mixes of Meddle. So I do see this as a great combination :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: David Gilmour New Material with Dr Alex Patterson of The

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anyone any news on this work? Anything being mentioned in Orb circles?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Matt posted a new vid on BD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rnkDPcnk44
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »