Roger Waters - Ca Ira

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
10%
8%
30%
23%
1 - Worst
30%

Total votes: 40

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Roger Waters - Ca Ira

Post by Damn!t »

Yes, I'v seen that footage.
It looks very expencive and the production seems to be very bombastic.
But the piece itself simply doesent suit me.
There are alot of fucking brilliant operas out there that are far better in story telling and in music parts then Rogers.
It's uncomparable. Opera is a very difficult genre. I guess you cant make your first and emediatly be brilliant at it.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I read in this months Q magazine, an interview with Pixie Lott, and she says she was asked by Roger to sing on this album, news to me, has anyone else heard about that?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yes, heard about her involvement with Ca Ira back in June...

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... 23&t=20984
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Yeah, I just read that after posting, but just thought it might have been in this thread, guess not :o
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

It is the greatest opera in the history of operas.

Written by The Genius. nuff said
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

This "Opera" is a typical Roger Waters Product. Put your name on it, even when you did only the half work. If i buy an Opera written by Mozart, EVERY NOTE was written by MOZART, More even so with WAGNER who did write his own Librettos. I invite everyone to read a history of the Making of Ca Ira. I call it a "Farce". That way, even i can write an Opera.

danielcaux wrote:
Pat Albertson wrote:How many copies of this album would have been bought if it was just some new opera guy starting out on his career? Precious few, I am sure.
Soo ...what's the point of that retoric question? Are you trying to imply that good music releases can be measured by the units they move? Someone could very well release the best opera in history and still that wouldn't shift more copies than an average Madonna album.

I have never had the chance to listen to the whole Ça Ira opera, but just for having the guts to take the challenge and attemp a completely new form of music, to him, I have more respect for Waters than for Gilmour doing the same old-same old again and again with his On an Island, Remember That Night and GdansK releases.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

kitkat wrote:It is the greatest opera in the history of operas.

Written by The Genius. nuff said
no its not you muppet
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

typical BORING waters solo stuff. it sucks.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

30yrsydfan wrote:typical BORING waters solo stuff. it sucks.
calling an opera typical Waters stuff is quite something
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

typical meaning it sux regardless of what genre it is. Not that difficult to understand really.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

30yrsydfan wrote:typical meaning it sux regardless of what genre it is. Not that difficult to understand really.
still wrong
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Yucateco wrote:
30yrsydfan wrote:typical meaning it sux regardless of what genre it is. Not that difficult to understand really.
still wrong
What is, his opinion or the way you interpreted his post? It was quite clear to me. :?
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. For years people used Ca Ira as a complaint that Waters would never get it done, yet here it is. People who dislike Waters and claim all of solo stuff "sucks" and probably voted 1 simply to bash it and never bought this thing and really have not right to vote on it if they've never heard it (and I doubt many have actually listened to this in it's entirety.

To say that this opera is not a Waters work is, to me, like saying that George Lucas stole Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi because he didn't direct either movie. Nonsense. Waters was there for every part of this thing. This is HIS baby. He worked with Rick Wenworth, that is obvious. He needed to have somebody who orchestral experience.

Okay, Spinoza, you claim that Waters put his name on his when he only did "half the work". Prove it! Show me links. Post scans of books where it is written that Roger Waters is not the primary composer. He worked with Rick Wenworth, who is a composer ("a" composer) and Wenworth did the orchesta conducting and worked with Waters on the arrangements, but show me where half of the songs are credited to somebody else other than Waters.

You spout about if you listen to a opera by Mozart, you know EVERY NOTE was written by Mozart, huh? Must never have heard of "The Abduction from the Seraglio" by Mozart. The libertto is by Christoph Bretzner, though, not Mozart. Richard Wagner, it is true, is known wrote the music and libretto for all his works.

Waters had no history in this brand of music (for the creation at least). Of course he needed somebody with experience to help him out, or he'd have fallen flat on his face. Anybody else would probably used a heck of a lot more than just Wentworth for conducting and help with arrangements.

If you wouldn't need it, the congrats! Go out there, write a opera and I'll look forward to buying it. Failing that, have fun posting a response, to make yourself feel a little better.

The fact is, and a fact this is, the vast majority of the classical critics out there probably would have LOVED little more than to lambaste Waters' attempt here. They did not. Generally, it received positive reviews by the very people who are paid to give their opinions about that sort of thing. They listen to the stuff that 99% of the people on this board have no interest in listening to, and they didn't mind it. Of course, they didn't have an axe to grind with Waters, so maybe that helped.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

MattAShine wrote: Of course, they didn't have an axe to grind with Waters, so maybe that helped.
Neither do I and I'm not a paid critic either, but for my delicate ears I'd rather hear an axe being ground than this.
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

ddebil wrote:
MattAShine wrote: Of course, they didn't have an axe to grind with Waters, so maybe that helped.
Neither do I and I'm not a paid critic either, but for my delicate ears I'd rather hear an axe being ground than this.

If a person dislikes it because of what it is, that's different than disliking it because of who created it. There are some who hate Waters albums (and Gilmour albums and post-Waters albums, etc) not because of the content, but because of who released it.

While they have the right to state their opinion, to try and pass it off as "fair criticism" I disagree with, as the work is not being judged on it's merits.