rick wright album that never got finished will it be release

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
johnwilliamson147
Embryo
Embryo

rick wright album that never got finished will it be release

Post by johnwilliamson147 »

hi people was just recently listening to right wrights solo albums and was wondering if the album he was working on before his tragic passing will be released as a tribute or if he didn't get that far into making it.

i really love the track breakthrough, amazing when played at the meltdown acoustic gig with gilmour :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rick wright album that never got finished will it be release

Post by snifferdog »

Nobody seems to know the answer to that from what I can see. My own personal feeling (and I could be totally wrong here) is that all he left behind were a series of noodlings that would need a lot of work in order to be turned into something coherent.
espio13
Embryo
Embryo

Post by espio13 »

yeah i was asking about this not to long ago. There hasn't been any word of it or anything but i guess only time will tell. It's to bad because he makes such amazing music, I think this would have been one of his best. Maybe we'll get lucky and roger or david will finish it. that would be sweet!
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Roger finish it? LOL

There are so many reason's why David should be the one to finish it. But knowing how long it takes him to make a record he will be dead before it happens.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

It doesn't semems to be any proper recordings of that album at all. Mr Guy Pratt said he only knew about a few sketches, and nothing more.

As I understand Mr Richard Wright was only laborating with pieces of music in an old avant-garde way.

Best regards,
Peter
Smillsoid
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Smillsoid »

Oh, I remember the 'old avant-garde' way...much better than the 'new derivative' way...
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Re: rick wright album that never got finished will it be rel

Post by 3Dasha »

I think that in order to get things clearer we should wait until this summer, as it will be Rick's 70th birthday. The right time for a compilation of his solo material to be released and, to top it off, a couple of tracks from his unfinished work to be completed and added. I mean, with all compilations of Syd's solo work after he stopped making music(+ post-mortem "An Introduction to Syd Barrett"), it'd be really nice and fair, if the same would be done with Richard's solo material.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Chance would be a fine thing I'm afraid. My own gut feeling is that Rick didn't leave an awful lot of note behind. He was a guy who worked better as a collaborator than as a solo artist. He doesn't appear to have been prolific either. I'll not be holding my breath but if I'm proven wrong I'll not complain :)
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Post by 3Dasha »

Snifferdog, I know that it's kind of unrealistic, but I leave a chance of 'who knows'.
Just a box set with Wright's solo work would be fine.
So sad that after all those uplifting interviews, that's unlikely there's any finish-able material left.
I like Rick's solo albums, and not so much the album on which he collaborated with Harris.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yes, who knows? I'd be happy to be proved wrong. As for the Zee album, I get the impression that it was mainly Dave Harris who did the heavy lifting for that.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

You know, it might at least be time for a Wright compilation album, with a couple of rare nuggets...assuming there really isn't much rumoured to exist.
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Post by 3Dasha »

And it's not the first time, when raw things are released. Like aforementioned Syd's albums. Having Barn jams, demos (I loved "Us and them" one), some piano noodlings and solo demos wouldn't be out of the blue.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

3Dasha wrote:It will be Rick's 70th birthday. The right time for a compilation of his solo material to be released and, to top it off, a couple of tracks from his unfinished work to be completed and added.
:lol: [-D-] :lol:

A compilation of Nick Mason's solo material has as much chances of happening...
3Dasha
Axe
Axe

Post by 3Dasha »

A compilation of Nick Mason's solo material has as much chances of happening...
How cruel!
greenfx
Embryo
Embryo

Post by greenfx »

Considering that the meat of Broken China was done in a few weeks, i'm guessing that the album was probably 20-30% complete.