Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Tour DVD on the way

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.

Will you buy this DVD?

Yes, definately!
73%
Yes, perhaps.
22%
No.
4%
Absolutely No!
2%
Dont know???
No votes

Total votes: 51

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Tour DVD on the way

Post by Damn!t »

Well, you're a weirdo! :lol:

That's completely a matter of personal tastes. :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Damn!t wrote:Well, you're a weirdo! :lol:
I know. :smt045
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Damn!t wrote:I'd buy it for sure, but musically, classic Floyd stuff he did on ALL of his tours where below average.
He did create most of it, but he sure cant reproduce it.
Yeah, muscially speaking his just the bass player afterall (and post-Animals main singer).

But you NEVER get the power of "In The Flesh" as an opener with Dave Floyd. That alone justifies the experience of a Roger Waters concert. Hearing those opening chords played live by Pink himself gave me shivers up and down the spine.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Everyone is entitled to listen to their spine...

How bout we set a different picture.
Imagine live 8, classic Floyd set played with Rog and his band.
And now imagine the live 8 set as it were played that evening.

Beside set the controls for the heart of the sun which was great and Rogers solo stuff which was brillant, in the flesh dvd is so-so.
The music (which is why i listen to the Floyd in the first place) is hollow, too raw and unsophisticated.
These attributes were never their main characteristics.
Once again, there is no way I'd give a whole Floyd track played by Rog and his bleedin band a better rate then a two single notes played by Dave and Rick together.
You can say and like what ever you want, this was my opinion.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The only REAL problem I have with Roger's solo concerts is the lack of Dave's voice, and the fact that Roger's voice is very weak to take up main singer duties on those songs originally sung by Dave, so he is forced to have different singers taking Dave role. I don't really miss Dave's guitar that much, after all this years his style has become so influential that it now sounds pretty generic and can be replicated quite decently by a good guitarist, and to tell you the truth I have never been able to tell apart what is being played by Carin and what is being played by Wright on PULSE, without looking at their fingers.

But I'm not saying that I prefer one over the other, I'm just saying that in the absence of a real and unified Floyd both concert experiences are essential for a PF fan than never got the oportunity to witness a concert by the complete band. Roger Waters concerts give you a cohesive show with great conceptual flow and authentic and emotional versions of songs from Animals, Wall and Final Cut (+ STCFTOTS and a singer that understands what he is singing about on songs from DSOTM and WYWH, unlike the robotic renditions of Dave!) and Gilmour's band give you the great instrumentals passages of SOYCD, Echoes and OOTD and his voice and solos, and a pretty decent laser show.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

can´t wait to get that DVD. The 2007 concerts were brilliant.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

danielcaux wrote:...
But I'm not saying that I prefer one over the other, I'm just saying that in the absence of a real and unified Floyd both concert experiences are essential for a PF fan than never got the oportunity to witness a concert by the complete band. Roger Waters concerts give you a cohesive show with great conceptual flow and authentic and emotional versions of songs from Animals, Wall and Final Cut (+ STCFTOTS and a singer that understands what he is singing about on songs from DSOTM and WYWH, unlike the robotic renditions of Dave!) and Gilmour's band give you the great instrumentals passages of SOYCD, Echoes and OOTD and his voice and solos, and a pretty decent laser show.
Nice analysis!

I do slightly prefer the Waters show, but that's personal. One of the reasons, besides the ones you mentioned,: Roger doesn't have a bassplayer who thinks he can funk up Floyd songs.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

...no, but he had a line of guitarists that think that they are a mixture of Hendrix, Brad Pitt and Elvis.
(every credit to the Snowy White)
At least Davey's prancing pony can play his instrument.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

rosm wrote:funk up
N=C to me here. 8)
floydfreak420
Embryo
Embryo

Post by floydfreak420 »

Rog did a great job with the "Dark Side" on the last tour. I was lucky to see it performed with Nick Mason at MSG... Great show! I would definitly buy the CD/DVD.

If you get the chance, listen to the "Dark Side" material from the 2002 tour, it is great. I think by then (and the last tour) the band had really tightened up and perfected it. Also listen to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from the 2002 tour, it is amazing. During the early part of that tour (99 - 2000) he played a shortened version of "Shine On 1 - 5" and changed the ending of "Shine On parts 6 - 10" (as it's played on the "In The Flesh" release). Those versions were pretty good but during the 2002 tour he put everything back together and played the complete "Shine On parts 1 - 5, even including the 2nd guitar solo, and the complete "Shine On part 6 - 10" with the original ending right down to the "Emily" tease at the very end. They pretty much played the entire WYWH album, except for ""Have a Cigar". I have to admit that I like those versions better than any of the live Gilmour versions from "Pulse" or "Delicate Sound of Thunder". (If you can find the RW show from Santiago, Chile - 3/5/02, it's one of the best). There are also some great versions of "Dogs" out there from the 99 - 02' tour. Of course I miss Dave's voice & playing on all of Rogers live stuff. I don't think there's another guitar player alive who could fill his shoes.
Just the same, listen to the "Echoes" on the Gilmour 2007 tour or the "Gdansk" release. It's absolutely amazing!! It certainly shows that both Dave & Rog each have their strong points. Plus Rick was absolutely fabulous on that tour. I certainly believe that Dave & Rick together are the closest thing to the "real" Floyd but Rog is amazing too. He's been playing with some of his current band members longer than he was with Pink Floyd and they have really tightened up over the years.

](*,)
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Hudini wrote:
rosm wrote:funk up
N=C to me here. 8)
My opinion too, but I was trying to be nice/gentle ;-)
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Roger's concert prism won some award.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Damn!t wrote:Roger's concert prism won some award.
Thanks Bran.
Well done, Roger! [-D-]
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

danielcaux wrote: Image
Thats a great picture ....
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I will definately buy the DVD when/if it comes out ... however I recently watched (or should that be "tried to watch") the In The Flesh DVD and I turned it off after about 15mins ... routed out Tripped Out In Cork and watched that instead ... I found the In The Flesh DVD too hollow ... too clean - know what I mean ?

As for Gilmour's Gdansk and Remember That Night DVD's ... yip , they're great, superb musicianship etc and I do watch them, but they don't pack a venomous , bile filled, emotional punch that Roger delivers and thats what I fuckin love.

As a mate of mine said "I love Roger Waters man, he puts his fuckin balls into it"