David Gilmour - On An Island

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
18%
21%
27%
18%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 85

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: David Gilmour - On An Island

Post by Stephen »

I gave it a 2. To me it's a collection of very average songs that are livened up slightly by the Gilmour guitar rather than as it should be, a strong selection of songs enhanced by his guitar playing. Seems it was pretty popular and sold well but not what I want to hear from him.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

:smt015 he ought to be doing better than this
More Floyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by More Floyd »

Stephen wrote:I gave it a 2. To me it's a collection of very average songs that are livened up slightly by the Gilmour guitar rather than as it should be, a strong selection of songs enhanced by his guitar playing. Seems it was pretty popular and sold well but not what I want to hear from him.

Which is the point of the album. He doesn't care what you want to hear from him.

It's the best Solo Floyd album. It's not boring at all. It's a mellow album. You people and your unfair criticisms are hilarious.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Are you David Gilmour in disguise? :D
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I think it's quite a nice album, though not a classic. It has a lovely mood to it, unfortunately broken up by Take a Breath. If he'd left that song off the album I'd have given it 4 stars, but as such, it gets 3.
malusienka
Knife
Knife

Post by malusienka »

I don't know why so many people don't like this album. It's so calm, relaxing.
David's voice is brilliant, guitar solos too.
Especially "The blue" - when I hear it, all my problems are gone.

I gave 4, because Richard's "Broken China" was better, but I still don't know shouldn't it get 5.
thehumanzoo
Blade
Blade

Post by thehumanzoo »

malusienka wrote:I don't know why so many people don't like this album. It's so calm, relaxing.
I agree. Compared to a CD to do your weeding to, that you might pick up in your local gardening centre or listened to alongside a smooth chilled out classical music compilation, On an Island is positively brimming with energy and intrigue and there is little doubt to its brilliance.

However, the metric in this forum tends to be against other Pink Floyd albums. Guitar-solos aside, I'm afraid that it is just a little, well, dull.
rogerlancelot
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rogerlancelot »

5 stars. Really my favorite solo album ("Wet Dream" being 2nd). When this came out, I played it over and over. Very mellow and atmospheric which is what I love about the "Floyd" sound. I was really going through some very hard times when this one came out and it really helped soothe me. Great songs and great instrumentals. Dave's sax debut? Full of surprises.

I hate to see this one get slammed so much but I am totally in love it and would love to have more from the man.

5 stars because it's better to me than the other 2 solo albums (the 1st one being my second favorite).

The song "Where We Start" alone does it for me...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

rogerlancelot wrote:would love to have more from the man
Me too, but more "On an Island" and less of the rest. Basically this 3rd solo album is a PF single with 9 bonus mediocre leftover tracks.
YetAnotherFloydian
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnotherFloydian »

really sorry to hear that not so many appreciate this album. I actually think it's pretty good. Nice vocals, guitar playing..it has perfect mood (like being in holiday with someone you love). Definitely not as good as Roger's AtD (not sure if they actually can be compared), but still great album.
Terentek
Axe
Axe

Post by Terentek »

I love it.
Something about the album's overall atmosphere...
Can't really explain it.
Just like a dream state,anything untowards would break the dream.
Just a beautiful album.

Nigel
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Looks like I missed this one.

On An Island. That's exactly where this belongs on some God forsaken uninhabited island. He doesn't know what musical direction he wants to go. So you end up with a mixture of mediocre songs. The title track drives me nuts it's awful. This is the worse solo work he has done. Anymore like this and David you need to give up.
Bumr50
Axe
Axe

Post by Bumr50 »

Smile worked really well on my wedding DVD outtakes where they do a slideshow of us together doing things (nothing nasty) while we were dating, just travelling and having fum together and stuff.

I think that the album represents David and Polly's life together, in true artistic inclined form. It worked perfectly for me and my new bride.

NOT Floyd, but that's not a bad thing. I think it shows an artists that is simply representing his life through his art.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

oldhippy wrote:Looks like I missed this one.

On An Island. That's exactly where this belongs on some God forsaken uninhabited island. He doesn't know what musical direction he wants to go. So you end up with a mixture of mediocre songs. The title track drives me nuts it's awful. This is the worse solo work he has done. Anymore like this and David you need to give up.
Maybe it already IS where he wants to go, musically...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Not gone back to it very often since it came out, though i still really like the tracks Smile and On An Island. I've noticed this album definitely has more loyal fans than a lot of other solo albums (as in people who dig this seem to really dig it rather than thinking it is fairly mediocre like the Rick Wright albums). To me though, it simply isn't a very interesting listen- although granted, i would say it flows better as an album than any other solo albums by the band members do.