Did i tell you the name of the game?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I'm cool. I just found it extremely odd to see such high ratings for Profiles and FS. I'm sure almost everyone in here agrees that it is not every day you see words such as EXCELLENT and CLASSIC put next to those two albums...
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Don't be absurd, people. RPITI isn't being rude or doesn't need to chill out, he's just shocked that some would choose those literally horrible records over Roger's records. You people are just wanting to start an arguement. I don't even know RPITI that well but I can tell he was merely shocked and nothing else... not like he's trying to start a war.

But those records can't even compare to Roger's solo works. LIE FOR A LIE??? gimmie a break..

It's equal to people saying The Wall is worse than Devo's debut album.
Last edited by NewEarthMud on Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Perhaps we could use this thread as a space for album reviews? In case someone wants to air their views on an album in a more rhetorical way? Just a thort. :o
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

We got one, it's listed under the name A Constructive View or something, and it was going very well before people stopped posting on it. Worth going to though so post away on it.

That is if my meaning of the word rhetorical is correct
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Edited by moderator

I like Broken China and TPACOHH the most. And NO, i won't start to sum up some rational arguments to prove my case. For the most part it's only subjective . Everybody here knows that for me the music comes first, if the lyrics tell you something well that's fine, but if i really want to learn something, i take a good book ( by Spinoza or someone else :wink: ). What i like in Roger was his vision to produce and create albums focused on one thought, combined with some great musicianship by Gilmour Mason Wright. I don't like the music of KAOS and the music and concept of ATD is very loose.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

I can't understand the reason my post was edited. I wasn't rude, i did not use bad language, i did not insult anyone ! Please explain.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I bought The Delicate Sound Of thunder the other day, partly based on the review on this forum.

Anyway, i was disappointed, see, i never went over the track listing in the shop because i was in a rush. Now if i had i would have noticed that every song of it is either on AMLOR (which i don't like) Pulse (which i have) or is titled One Of These Days (which is quite good on it actually.)

Why couldn't they put a different track listiing on Pulse? And why isn't shine on part 2 on it?

Damn rip off!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I love One of These Days on Delicate Sound of Thunder, its the highlight of the album, besides the cover, which is very cool
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I can't say i see the point in the cover, but it is quite nice.

For me the highlight has to be Us And Them, or of course WYWH which just sounds brilliants. Especially as the radio intermission doesn't appear at the start, although it does work well on the album i just always wanted a raw recodring of the song without all the effects and this is the closest i have.

On the Pulse video they ruined the song by sending out loads of lazer beams, can't they just do an intimate session of it? Bloody light shows.

Oh and by the way i don't hate the divison bell. My opnions on it change all the time and last time i properly wrote about it was either in the "constructive view" thread or the "who says Division Bell sucks?" thread (something like that anyway), can't even remember what i said, but no i don't hate it.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

la carrera panamerica **
What the hell is la carrera panamerica?
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

David Smith wrote:
la carrera panamerica **
What the hell is la carrera panamerica?
Not 100% but I think it is a video ofNick Mason driving in a race ( la carrera panamerica) from Mexico to south america or something like that, with Dave as his Co-driver. I believe that Dave also composed some music for it with Nick mason.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

the La Carrera Panamerica video (released in 1992) is a complete travesty. it is without a doubt, Waters' worst nightmares about the uncaring, cynical abuse of the Pink Floyd brand name come to life. Not my words, for a review and critique, visit: http://www.frostwarning.com/~pfov/title ... merica.htm

as everyone else is doing this, here's what I think about Pink Floyd's output:

**** = classic stuff!
*** = pretty good
** = It's ok - a few good moments
* = mostly awful
(no stars) = garbage - an album for losers

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn ***
A Saucerful Of Secrets ***
More **
Ummagumma *
Atom Heart Mother **
Meddle ****
Obscured By Clouds **
The Dark Side Of The Moon ****
Wish You Were Here ****
Animals ****
The Wall ****
The Final Cut ***
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason *
Delicate Sound Of Thunder *
The Division Bell (no stars)
P.U.L.S.E. *
Is There Anybody Out There? ****
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I have to say I like TDB, I decided to listen to it without this Dave V Roger thing hanging over it.I just took and listened to it for itself (not putting any bull on top of it),just for the sound and I have to say it is better than most people give it credit.Poles Apart is Dave's song to Syd, at what he had become and that he never expected Syd to loose his mind.In which he could not communicate.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

NewEarthMud wrote: ATM ***

SOLOS
RoGers
PACOHH ****
Radio kaos *
Wall in berlin **
ATM ****

So, both Roger AND Floyd did songs about cash machines??

This just shows the visionary nature of the group as, apparently, Automatic Teller Machine came out first around the same time as Atom Heart Mother...long before ATM's actually showed up.

The fact that Roger recycled the title shows little imagination on his part, but maybe he was just trying to relive a past glory.

I've never heard these two lost classics, though. Has anyone else?

By the way, the artwork for Delicate Sound Of Thunder has two gentlemen who are supposed to represent the twin Floydian totems of "Light" (hence the guy with the lightbulbs on his suit) and "Sound," (I think this guy is surrounded by birds...indicating birdsong...indicating sound.) This came more or less from Storm himself, so I'm pretty certain that he's a reliable source. During the first ten seconds of my first encounter with the album (I thought they'd already released a new studio album in that first ten seconds, I didn't know it was a live album) I thought the two guys on the cover were a photographic sequel to WYWH's artwork.

Did anyone else catch that?
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

The very highlight of The Delicate Sound Of Thunder is reggae part in Money wich is more better than on PULSE. It's a shame that PF didn't perform Echoes on AMLOR or TDB tour. It would be very unusual to hear.