Australian Pink Floyd Show 2010 UK tour

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Australian Pink Floyd Show 2010 UK tour

Post by NickC4555 »

Tickets are now on sale for the Australian Pink Floyd Show 2010 UK tour. The links below take you to the Ticketmaster page for each show.

22-Apr-10 - International Arena - Cardiff, UK
23-Apr-10 - The O2 - London, UK
24-Apr-10 - The Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
25-Apr-10 - Trent FM Arena - Nottingham, UK
27-Apr-10 - Odyssey Arena - Belfast, UK
30-Apr-10 - SECC - Glasgow, UK
01-May-10 - AECC - Aberdeen, UK
02-May-10 - MEN Arena - Manchester, UK
02-May-10 - MEN Arena - The View Experience - Manchester, UK
04-May-10 - De Montfort Hall - Seated - Leicester, UK
04-May-10 - De Montfort Hall - Standing - Leicester, UK
05-May-10 - International Centre - Bournemouth, UK
06-May-10 - New Theatre - Oxford, UK
08-May-10 - Pavilions - Plymouth, UK
09-May-10 - NIA - Birmingham, UK
11-May-10 - Metro Radio Arena - Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
12-May-10 - Sheffield Arena - Sheffield, UK

Tour discussions are on the forum at tapfs.com
Last edited by NickC4555 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Australian Pink Floyd Show 2010 UK tour

Post by Keith Jordan »

Are they touring a particular album? I watched them at Liverpool Summer Pops a few months ago doing The Wall and was an excellent show!
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

They are playing extended selections from Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall, plus a few other such as Fletcher, Gunner's Dream, Set the Controls. It's a stunning show.
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

Dublin has been added to the Spring tour schedule 28 April, O2 Arena. On sale next week.

TAPFS UK Spring 2010
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

£32.50 for a covers band - i'd rather shag a spider and use that money to see a real band playing their OWN material
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

drafsack wrote: i'd rather shag a spider
Who'd get who's legs over? :lol:
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

drafsack wrote:£32.50 for a covers band - i'd rather shag a spider and use that money to see a real band playing their OWN material
This debate will run and run. There is no reason at all that the composer of a piece of music will necessarily play it better than anyone else. In the history of popular music (about 5,000 years), people have only played their own compositions for about the last 60 years. I've used this analogy several times before, and I stole it in the first place, but when the Berlin Philharmonic plays a Beethoven symphony, nobody calls them a tribute band, but what is the difference between what they do and a modern day tribute?

I think that the dismissal of tributes as second class citizens is down to our emotional attachment to the original performers, not to any basis in fact. To suggest that they are less talented because they didn't write the music is deeply flawed, nobody ever says that about leading classical soloists or virtuoso jazz musicians who never play their own compositions.

As for the tickets being £32.50, that is not expensive for a show of the size put on by the Aussies. Nobody is getting rich out of it, it is a huge show and it costs a fortune to put on. I can't think of another show on this scale for less than £75. And tribute bands receive no composition or album royalties, so live performance is their only source of income.

If we want to see modern day classics performed in live shows that do the music justice, we should stop reminding tribute bands at every opportunity that we only go to see them because the originals don't tour any more. With bands like The Aussies, The Musical Box and The Mahavishnu Project elevating the tribute phenomenon to world class status, it is time to accept that they can put on a show equal to anyone who ever played the music before them.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

NickC4555 wrote: If we want to see modern day classics performed in live shows that do the music justice, we should stop reminding tribute bands at every opportunity that we only go to see them because the originals don't tour any more. With bands like The Aussies, The Musical Box and The Mahavishnu Project elevating the tribute phenomenon to world class status, it is time to accept that they can put on a show equal to anyone who ever played the music before them.

Yes but it would be nice if they played some of their own songs
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Im in the camp that will never go to see the Oz Pink Floyd - and it's primarily because I don't like the whole tribute band thing , but when ticket prices start getting into the €50 region (regardless of size of show) it really does put the final nail in the coffin.

Original recording artists Ive seen in concert recently for much less than €50 ....

W.A.S.P. €24.50
Y&T - €24.50
The Answer €17
Doves €33
Judas Priest / Megadeth / Testament triple bill !!!! €50
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Ray, you are a one cheap bastard! :lol:

...seeing them tomorrow for the first time. ...I wonder if they'll justify the price of the ticket...which was fuckin huge.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Damn!t wrote:Ray, you are a one cheap bastard! :lol:
Nothing to do with it Bran ... it's about what you're getting for your money .. think about it ... Tribute bands are now charging more than authentic / original recording artists !! ... so If Im left with the choice of spending €50 on a Tribute Band or €25 on an artist playing their own music - to me there's no contest.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I know I know...

I payed for the ticket tomorrow around 50 euros, which is really a big amount of money for that type of band.
But the venue is an expencive concert hall in which are usually held classical concerts, and judging by the suff I'v seen on the Tube, these blokes have rather alot of equipment for a cover band. I'm not justifying them, but I guess the cost to put that show in that venue is not that small as we might think it should be. But I also agree with the fact that they didnt do anything original and that they shouldnt be charging so much for the gig and that exploating our love for the Floyds doesent need to be that expencive.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

I'm glad I didn't pay but it was certainly worth seeing it. Good show, some highlights: Gunner's Dream, TGGITS, Learning to fly...

Don't miss it if you like PULSE, the sound is great, lights too, very funny screen animation.
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

Tickets are on sale for the Aussies for 2 shows at the Liverpool Summer Pops.

TAPFS Summer 2010
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The last summer pops only seemed like yesterday! Very enjoyable. 8)

I may have to get some tickets for the next one! LIVERPOOL!!