Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by justabagofatoms »

I watched the film tonight for the second time in my life. I hated it the first time, didn't hate it as much tonight. I remember being very disappointed with the choice of Bob Geldoff, but he was okay. I must be going soft.
The one thing about the film that struck me was the absolutely delightful way that British children who are so subdued and chaste in their pristine uniforms can suddenly go stark raving mad and smash the smack out of everything in sight. Exhilirating. Reminded me of the forum actually.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Even though "The Wall" doesn't quite measure up to the previous three PF releases, it is still worthy of a five star rating (the last PF album to get that from me). By far the best version of "The Wall" is the original studio album, and it hangs together amazingly well as a complete piece of music.

When "The Wall" originally came out, it had a huge impact on my fourteen-year-old school-child self, and I can still remember hearing the mighty industrial-strength introduction to "Run Like Hell" for the first time.

The movie was a complete letdown for me, and Bob Geldof was not well-cast as Pink (plus his vocals were awful on the re-recorded tracks). A purely animation or concert film would have been much better.
Last edited by Sonic Destruction on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

justabagofatoms wrote: The one thing about the film that struck me was the absolutely delightful way that British children who are so subdued and chaste in their pristine uniforms can suddenly go stark raving mad and smash the smack out of everything in sight. Exhilirating. Reminded me of the forum actually.
I understand that Parker told the kids to just smash the set and didn't tell them that the camera would be rolling while they did so. :lol:
stan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stan »

This album is very special to me, I got to know pink floyd in about 1996 introduced by a friend (she didn't realise what she was unleashing) The Wall has got me through many periods of darkness and depression, it's the one I choose when i just want to wallow in my own self pity!!

My other half doesn't just understand "oh your listening to pink floyd you must be depressed" is what i get but it goes so much deeper than that

Going to see Aussie Pink floyd tomorrow with the friend who introduced me to them all those years ago..can't wait....
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

stan wrote:The Wall has got me through many periods of darkness and depression, it's the one I choose when i just want to wallow in my own self pity!!
Emo! :lol:
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

stan wrote:This album is very special to me, I got to know pink floyd in about 1996 introduced by a friend (she didn't realise what she was unleashing) The Wall has got me through many periods of darkness and depression, it's the one I choose when i just want to wallow in my own self pity!!

My other half doesn't just understand "oh your listening to pink floyd you must be depressed" is what i get but it goes so much deeper than that

Going to see Aussie Pink floyd tomorrow with the friend who introduced me to them all those years ago..can't wait....
Isn't it great that "The Wall" has got you THROUGH the dark times, rather than just INTO them? It is strange (and beautiful) how music that is so melancholy at surface level can also be so uplifting.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I know it overrated but its still a great album. I think at one time or another we all have built a wall.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Te culmination of it all. What they had been working toward was some magnum opus but unfortunately it had to be Roger's. Nonetheless it is brilliance. I am not a fan of the movie, though i have seen it i prefer not to watch it as it depresses me.

My favorite songs are Mother (beautiful solo), Is there Anybody Out There?, Goodbye Blue Sky, Comfortably Numb, What Shall We DO Now, Must the Show Go On, The Trial.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

Well - why isn't there a thread for the live version 'Is there anybody out there?'

For me the live version is chilling (in a good way) in a way that the album version lacks a bit. And it's missing some songs too (not to mention the awesome medley at the end of the first half).

I've gotta say that listening to the live version nearly brings me to tears every time. It literally sends shivers down my spine... Roger sounds possessed! Awesome.

As for the film... it's not bad, but I never understood why Pink turns into a Pizza at the end in the back of a cab or something?!
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

siderealxxx wrote:..but I never understood why Pink turns into a Pizza...?!

Wasn't that worms, actually? :-k

You know siderealxxx, waiting for the worms and such stuff.. :o
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

jtull wrote:
siderealxxx wrote:..but I never understood why Pink turns into a Pizza...?!

You know siderealxxx, waiting for the worms and such stuff.. :o
Oh is that what was going on <.8.> ! Right... I've not seen it in a while - oops. Still, I always thought the effects looked a bit dodgy there and I didn't like it. But now I like it a bit more ;-)
Faint
Blade
Blade

Post by Faint »

jtull wrote:

waiting for the worms and such stuff.. :o
oh.. u got to be detective, have talent to discover such a... <.8.>
loved that film, over and over again. :D sounds funny, but it isin't :twisted:
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

A few good tunes but this album will always remind me of Waters booting Wright from the group,how it went from a 4 man band to God knows how many. The main thing about this album is that it's a bombastic pretensious piece of garbage that like Dark Side is all rado stations EVER play. Isn't ANYONE else sick of "MONEY" & "Another Brick in the Wall"??? How many times will we suffer thru this!?? Great reviews & album sales do NOT equal Art! THIS is not Art but one man's obsession with his father & a friend he Blew off 11 years earlier that he doesn't even care about!? Feel bad that he lost his father & it's a horrible way to go but PLEASE, find something else to write about.
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

I wanted to give it a 5 SO bad, but.. I can't change it now. It's not even really about the stuff "on" the album, so much as it is the stuff that's not. If they did a re-release, including What Shall We Do Not in addition to Empty Spaces and the movie version of Outside the Wall.

For what's on the album itself, Vera/Bring the Boys Back Home hurt it quite a bit. In the multiple times I saw Waters live between 06-08, I clapped and cheered just like everybody else when they were played, but it was forced. I also happen to think that the movie version of Mother, with it's soft lullaby music at the beginning, is better than the album version.

I think if they had a few extra weeks or months to work on it, if not in the push to get it out for Christmas, it probably would be a better work.

As it is, with Hey You, CN, Run Like Hell, etc, what we DO have is great and if not for the remixes done for the movie, I happily would have given it a 5 not knowing any better.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I must disagree with you, the album version of Mother is way better than the movie version, which is weak and boring. Being first expoused to the movie, I used to hate that song, until I heard the album version. Same goes to Vera/BTBBH, for me that segue is one of the emotional high points on the album, side 3 is the best overall for me. Young Lust, One of My Turns and Don't Leave Me Now are the tracks that fail. I agree on the lack of WSWDN, it really hurts the album.