Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
10%
12%
22%
31%
1 - Rate this
24%

Total votes: 49

mosespa

Re: Roger Waters - Live In Berlin 1990

Post by mosespa »

If I may engage in another shameless bit of self-promotion, lol:

http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine19/features.html

In the article "One Of His Bad Days," I'm afraid I take a strong stance of disagreement with you. :lol:
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

kitkat wrote:
The fact that Roger is losing his voice makes the album better.
So you mean if he would lose his voice completely one day, then he would be able to make best The Wall version ever..or?
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Yo, Mosepa is the SpareBricks guy??

That is awesome dude. No wonder you know your floyd.

I read your review of Wall in Berlin and we dont disagree on some of the finer points but we have very different conclusions.

Yeah, Ute is better than Gilmour singing the song cause she is a chick and its a chick part just like having a broad sing the Mother part of Mother is better. Ute has a better voice than Gilmour anyway..but yeah she shouldve shut up while Roger was singing.

This version of Comf Numb isnt bad it was on the Movie the Year movie last year that CIA thriller movie with Jack Nicholson. So, they mustve dug it.

Sinead is great...I dont care if its fashionable or not. I know she is an idiot but I also know that the album "I do not want what I have not got" it awesome and she was fricking great singing mother despite the fact that she pissed off Rog.

The sax in Brick 1 was great.

Brick 1 is better here than any other version.

Scorps scored and they conquered In The Flesh?

I basically think the album has these hidden gems in it. I think you are too hung up on the whole "living legend" thing. Who cares about that? You got Rog and the Wall what the holy hell else do you need dude????

Now dude...I am not as sophisticated as you...how do I get my paws on the Kaos thing that has the LA songs on it???
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

Its was ok I guess. Not the best. I still have on DVD. I really didn't like Bryan Adams version of Young Lust. It didn't suit him very well. It was for a good cause though.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

kitkat wrote:1. Yeah, Ute is better than Gilmour singing the song cause she is a chick and its a chick part just like having a broad sing the Mother part of Mother is better. Ute has a better voice than Gilmour anyway..but yeah she shouldve shut up while Roger was singing.

2. This version of Comf Numb isnt bad it was on the Movie the Year movie last year that CIA thriller movie with Jack Nicholson. So, they mustve dug it.

3. Sinead is great...I dont care if its fashionable or not. I know she is an idiot but I also know that the album "I do not want what I have not got" it awesome and she was fricking great singing mother despite the fact that she pissed off Rog.

4. I think you are too hung up on the whole "living legend" thing. Who cares about that? You got Rog and the Wall what the holy hell else do you need dude????

5. Now dude...I am not as sophisticated as you...how do I get my paws on the Kaos thing that has the LA songs on it???
1. I wouldn't quite go that far. After all, I'd rather hear Gilmour sing the "Hush now, baby baby" parts that some of the women Waters have had sing it over the years. Nothing against those women, mind you.

2. What others think about the value of a song is meaningless to me. It's whether or not I like it that matters to me (which is as it should be, really, lol.) I DO like what Van brings to the song...but I really wish that Danko and Helm had been pulled out of the mix.

3. I agree with you that Sinead is an excellent singer, but she's no living legend. Not even now, lol.

4. Well, I had to have an angle for the article, you see. :lol: Sort of like how The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album, but I pulled it apart in another issue (the "Recycled Floyd" issue) and demonstrated that nearly every single song on that album has some element in it that has appeared on another album.

But, having said that, I'd have to agree with you that maybe I shouldn't have gotten so hung up on the "living legend" angle. Especially since, as I understand it, many of the people that Waters actually wanted to play wouldn't/couldn't do so. *shrug*
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

kitkat wrote:Yo, Mosepa is the SpareBricks guy??

That is awesome dude. No wonder you know your floyd.

I read your review of Wall in Berlin and we dont disagree on some of the finer points but we have very different conclusions.

Yeah, Ute is better than Gilmour singing the song cause she is a chick and its a chick part just like having a broad sing the Mother part of Mother is better. Ute has a better voice than Gilmour anyway..but yeah she shouldve shut up while Roger was singing.

This version of Comf Numb isnt bad it was on the Movie the Year movie last year that CIA thriller movie with Jack Nicholson. So, they mustve dug it.

Sinead is great...I dont care if its fashionable or not. I know she is an idiot but I also know that the album "I do not want what I have not got" it awesome and she was fricking great singing mother despite the fact that she pissed off Rog.

The sax in Brick 1 was great.

Brick 1 is better here than any other version.

Scorps scored and they conquered In The Flesh?

I basically think the album has these hidden gems in it. I think you are too hung up on the whole "living legend" thing. Who cares about that? You got Rog and the Wall what the holy hell else do you need dude????

Now dude...I am not as sophisticated as you...how do I get my paws on the Kaos thing that has the LA songs on it???
1. David sings Mother better then Ute the version on Is There anybody out there is awesome a great solo from David.

2. Comfortably Numb is alright nothing special the solo they come across as trying too hard wasnt Van looking at a lyric sheet?

3. Sinead O Connor great is a bit far fetched she disappeared after "nothing compares 2 you"

4/. The sax in Brick 1 interesting did seem a bit out of place IMO

5. The Scorps were good on In The Flesh and RLH

The whole event comes across as a bit of cover band good cause its for i respect that. Visually its good gives a sense of scale of the event and the original wall shows
MattAShine
Axe
Axe

Post by MattAShine »

I was... generous... and gave it a 4.

Breaking it down brick by brick (or in this case, song by song), this was not a horrible endeavor.

In the Flesh? - Not bad. Scorps... not bad at all.
The Thin Ice - Great if Ute had shut up while Waters sang
Brick 1 - Would be perfect... if not for that sax portion.
Happiest Days - Perfect
Brick 2 - Uh... no. I'd say more, but the tabloids claims Cindy is a lady.
Mother - Nope. The chorus with The Band could have been worse, but once I heard the damned accordion, it was all over.
Goodbye Blue Sky - No sir, I don't like it.
Empty Space/What Shall We Do Now - Waters should have done the whole song, but... failing that, not a bad attempt
Young Lust - Sketchy on vocals, great on music
Oh My God, What a Fabulous Room - Oh My God, What a Friggin Waste of Time. And to think she was considered "hot" once.
On of My Turns - Great
Don't Leave Me Now - Great (even though Waters had to read the lyrics on the floor of the "hotel room")
Brick 3/Spare Bricks - Perfect. LOVED the modern rendition of Spare Bricks.
Don't Leave Me Now - So short, but still perfect.

Hey You - Only one good part in this version: "And the worms ate into his brain". The rest, with... Paul? Flush!
ITAOT - Great, just under perfect and even I don't know why.
Nobody Home - Perfect. Best song on the video/album. Best version I've heard by far (yes, including the vaunted ITAOT)
Vera - The Old Man voice cometh.
Bring the Boys Back Home - Weakest song on the album, and this does it no favors. Should have been half the length.
Comfortably Numb - Oh the horror, the horror! And to think this was on a Soprano's episode...
In The Flesh - Old man voice Pt 2. Not digging it.
Run Like Hell - Vocally, I'm liking it. Musically... needs some help.
Waiting for the Worms - Perfect, even without Gilmour's yodeling like on ITAOT
Stop - See "Don't Leave Me Now"
The Trial - And the verdict ain't good. Waters' parts (the "over the rainbow I am crazy", etc) saves this from Brick 2 hatred
The Tide is Turning - Really should have been the movie's version of "Outside the Wall"

Reading this over, prob should have gone with a 3, rather than a 4, but I also give Waters credit for the attempt (execution aside). He did TRY to get Clapton, Peter Gabriel, etc. And it COULD have been worse... imagine Phil Collins singing on it??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

You had to be there. 5.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

I kinda like Joni's bit.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Quick question: I saw a "new" version (to me at least) of this DVD in the stores. It was a white slim package, rather professional looking thing, not the usual black cover with panoramic picture, and has a lot of extras. On the back cover the info says that it is in widescreen format; but this was shot on regular TV format (1.33), right? So does that means this new version is just a faux-widescreen crop? like the Pompeii DVD? Haye you seen it? Is it a bootleg?

Edit: oops! Never mind, I already found the answer. I guess this one totally past under my radar! Too bad it is faux widescream, because the whole package (with extras) looks rather nice.
jschexna
Axe
Axe

Post by jschexna »

The Hooters backing vocals on C Numb make me smile everytime I watch this. Roger trying to lead them through the chorus is unworldly. C'mon man, stay in key, any freakin key. LOL There is still hope for me, I could become a world famous opera singer.....................or not.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The keyboard "solo" at the end of Brick P2 (FACEPALM) that guy is a tool way OTT
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

jschexna wrote:The Hooters backing vocals on C Numb make me smile everytime I watch this. Roger trying to lead them through the chorus is unworldly. C'mon man, stay in key, any freakin key. LOL There is still hope for me, I could become a world famous opera singer.....................or not.
I dont think thats the Hooters murdering the chorus, I think its special guests The Band (Levon Helm, Rompin Ronnie Hawkins and/or Robbie Robertson), who were also one of the opening acts, and special guest Van Morrison who once upon a time could carry a tune
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I thought that The Hooters only appeared on "Mother" and that they played some folk instruments and didn't sing at all. I might be wrong though.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

i just got a copy of this for the 2nd time and am wondering if were going to get a dvd from the wall tours. alls i have to do is watch as many times as roger performs it, in other words i want to watch it alot. right now if it doesnt come anytime soon it is the wall in berlin for me.