50%
No
50%

Total votes: 26

Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I think it was kind of a bad idea too, I mean, the only place people have SACD players or whatever they are is in their entertainment room (at least everyone i know) and most people i know listen to CDs in their room or when theyre driving, so i think its pointless, besides, DSOTM sounds best on vinyl anyways
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Post by dearboy »

Works for me. It gives off a "Blue Light"...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

i'm not sure if i like the cover, although i'm also not sure about rereleasing the album with better sound quality. A dvd or cd rom that had documentries or something to would be so much better.

Still, i'll buy it anyway.
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

I grew up with a black DSOTM cover.It holds a lot for me.I don't think i like the blue one.It has lost that"cosmic" feel about it. :(
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Altering the Dark Side artwork is, to me, like p*ssing on a Picasso. Who's this re-release aimed at anyhow? I'm a huge Floyd fan but I won't buy it. I'm not sold on this hybrid Super Audio Compact Disk business. It sounds like money for old rope to me. it's still the same recordings of an album I've heard to death. It would be far more interesting if they could unearth and release some good live recordings or something like that.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Hear here.
NiceJangly
Axe
Axe

Post by NiceJangly »

The concept is good, as long as you can overcome your cynicism of 'use' of the Pink Floyd brand. People WILL get the most out of new formats like SACD as they are already buying into 5.1 and 6.1 sound. This surely proves the original idea of recording in quadrophonic sound - the Floyd were just 30 years ahead of their time!

I must say, however, I'm not at all sure about the new cover.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

DaveMatthewsFan wrote:... besides, DSOTM sounds best on vinyl anyways
is that a joke?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Well, considering vinyl sounds better than Compact Disc, probably not. :?
keithc
Embryo
Embryo

New DSotM cover

Post by keithc »

Don't like it. Why mess with perfection
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

FeelingVeryPink wrote:Well, considering vinyl sounds better than Compact Disc, probably not. :?
does it really though? are you just saying that to appear cool?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

it sounds more natural to me. of course, i like CD quality when im driving
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

well of course you do, DaveMatthewsFan, have you tried listening to Vinyl in the car? :lol:

Anyway - my opinion.

Firstly, I like the new cover, from a designers point of view - i think, If you actually looked at it, you'll find that its supposed to represent The Prism (yes, in capital letters!) set in lead lighting.. or stained glass...

like The Prism is in a window, letting light into a church... like a place of Floydian worship.

and every dumb idiot knows that theres no such thing as Black glass, although certainly, a darker blue would have been better.

However, my thoughts on the SACD - Its crap - its shocking.

Sont brought out their SACD format to stop piracy, and that's it. its a crappy format, which is basically exactly the same as DVD-A.

Which would have been a better format to release it on, as most people with a DVD player (who would possibly buy the album) also have a 5.1 or 6.1 Sound system, however, a lot of DVD players (including mine and those of a few people I know) do not support the SACD format.

The format will die, and the record sales wont increase this year - DSotM is still constantly selling across the world, but I'll bet my right nut that more CDs of DSotM will be sold this year than SACDs

SACD = crape
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Furious wrote:well of course you do, DaveMatthewsFan, have you tried listening to Vinyl in the car? :lol:
hardy har har, jk, i was just saying that i like vinyl, but i also like CDs, as opposed to some people who hate CD quality
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

DaveMatthewsFan wrote:
Furious wrote:well of course you do, DaveMatthewsFan, have you tried listening to Vinyl in the car? :lol:
hardy har har, jk, i was just saying that i like vinyl, but i also like CDs, as opposed to some people who hate CD quality
Who on earth would hate CD quality? Jeez, why don't we all go back to 8 track then?