Pink Floyd memorabilia from Sydney in 1971. Can anyone help?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Pink Floyd memorabilia from Sydney in 1971. Can anyone help?

Post by pinksmile »

I am looking for some photos (any photos in any condition etc) of Pink Floyd performing at Randwick Racecourse in 1971. I already have the GTK footage (including the backstage interview and the Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun promo etc). I am seriously hopeing someone out there took some photos of the band performing on August 15 1971 or any other memorabilia from the show for that matter. Thanks.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Pink Floyd memorabilia from Sydney in 1971. Can anyone h

Post by moom »

Wasn't their show in Melbourne on 13th September 1971 the first Australian show :) ?
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

Yes, Melbourne on the 13\8\1971 was their first Australian show. I am after photos etc from their 2nd show which was performed in Sydney on 15\8\1971. It was an afternoon gig played outdoors in freezing conditions as it was the middle of winter at the time.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

My point is, 8 in your dates stands for August, while the first show was in September, which is 9. So I assume the Sydney show was in September, right :) ?

I'll try to help you, though I simply am after this correction :)

How about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7p8uY9NDj8

Some comments on the whole tour leg, including the Sydney show
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 4Qani7yRDQ

All that I could Google for now.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Moom, first show was on 13/8/1971 - Mellbourne. Two days later PF performed in Sydney 15/8/1971.

Pink Floyd - 1971-08-13 - Melbourne, Australia

Pink Floyd first performed in Australia on Friday 13th August 1971, at Melbourne Festival Hall, and on Sunday 15th August at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney.

The Melbourne Festival Hall is renowned for its poor sound, but the Floyd along with their quad sound were able to overcome the hall's shortcomings. The hall was only about half full owing to almost non-existant promotion. At both concerts Pink Floyd were supported by other bands, a very rare occurrence indeed! Pirana came on first and played for one hour followed by Lindsay Bourke. Both bands were well below the Floyd standard of extreme freeform improvisation.

After a ten minute break (9:30pm approx), Pink Floyd came on stage and Roger announced "Good evening. This is called Atom Heart Mother". They then went into a sixteen minute non-orchestrated performance of the piece. After a minute or so of tuning up, Roger announced, "We're just going to retune then we're going to do two things together. The first of which is a song from the soundtrack from the film More, which I hear was banned over here, and it's called Green Is The Colour. And the second is an instrumental called Careful With That Axe, Eugene". Both songs together lasted fourteen and a half minutes. This was either the last, or the penultimate, performance of Green Is The Colour (I'm not sure if it was played in Sydney).

After that, Roger said "This next thing is a new piece, and it's called Echoes. And it's going to take us a minute or two to get it together because one of our lenses has burnt out". This was the first time it was announced as "Echoes" (and lasted twenty two minutes), but it still had the alternate lyrics for the first verse and chorus, and the quick ending without the multi-tracked choir as at the Montreaux 1971 gig.

The band then played a twelve and a half minute Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun without announcing it. They then played an eleven minute Cymbaline before Roger proclaimed "Okay. This is going to be our last tune. Thank you all for coming. It's called A Saucerful Of Secrets and we'll see you again some time". Unfortunately the original tape ran out after five and a half minutes into Saucerful. The show was recorded about fifty yards from the stage using a Sony TC80 mono portable cassette recorder, smuggled in a schoolbag, and a normal position BASF cassette (chrome wasn't available in 1971)

01. Atom Heart Mother (16:09)
02. Green Is The Colour (4:04)
03. Careful With That Axe, Eugene (10:56)
04. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (12:48)
05. Echoes (22:10)
06. Cymbaline (11:08)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

jtull, I know, and I have that boot, but the guy wants Sydney.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

Sorry to appear rude, but "THE GUY" does indeed want photos etc from sydney on August 15 1971 . I am not sure moom why you keep thinking that Pink Floyd played in sydney in september of 1971 when it was without a doubt August.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I'm sorry if my language has insulted you. That was never intended. I hope you stay on the forum :)

Ah wait, now I got it... I mistook this thing - I thought the shows were in september. Sorry, my bad.
karmania
Axe
Axe

Post by karmania »

pinksmile wrote:I am looking for some photos (any photos in any condition etc) of Pink Floyd performing at Randwick Racecourse in 1971. I already have the GTK footage (including the backstage interview and the Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun promo etc). I am seriously hopeing someone out there took some photos of the band performing on August 15 1971 or any other memorabilia from the show for that matter. Thanks.
Hello pinksmile, I found the taper of melbourne 71 nearly 20yrs ago (I wrote the article quoted by jtull), I had the GTK segment With interview on vhs again nearly 20yrs ago...

however SYDNEY has remained elusive...

Have you found any information yet? As shown in the footage there are a few cameras and looks like there should be another Film portion in existence. From Mr Butler I received the GTK and it was from umatic from ABC and there does not appear to be any unused or excerpt footage in the archives JUST the 8min45sec Axe, Int, Sun.

Would be interested in anything you find. I only have info on the Melbourne show.

I think the only Sydney thing around is the advertisement that appeared in Jon Rosenbergs "A Journey Through Time and Space with Pink Floyd".

My melbourne cassette has the ad from melbourne and ticket stub...

I just realised I have never seen a TICKET from sydney... just numerous melbourne tickets...
karmania
Axe
Axe

Post by karmania »

Since no other replies here is photo of everyone at Melbourne Airport 11th August 1971.

Good Luck finding Sydney stuff!

Here is a review of the SYDNEY CONCERT.

Report by Peter Calcroft
Pink Floyd news :: Brain Damage
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk