"Irregular Head" book

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: "Irregular Head" book

Post by zag »

I got mine today ! <ii>
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I am going to buy this book really soon. Its one version of the Syd story I think I can imagine. Syd was merely a creative genius capable of amazing feats of art both on canvas and in music, but difficult to keep to a schedule. The rest of his bandmates did not share his overtly creative streak (though Rick Wright was an amazing impressionist organ player imho, and really understood how to get different moods), and to them being in a band was a more market-led decision. Syd WAS part of swinging London, the others were not. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to be in early post-war Britain trying to convince your parents and peers that you would rather play guitar and sing than design buildings or work in a bank, or some other solid employment like that that promised a certain financial comfort and social class as well. I can see why Pink Floyd might have booted him out when he was getting too out there, as they figured their own necks might be on the line (if getting TOTP gigs and a younger audience was their thing). Listen to the shocking post-Syd fakes such as It Would Be So Nice. Its cardboard whimsy designed to sell units on the back of the whole 'Cute English band play nursery rhymes on electric guitars' image that they had. That to me is why the Saucerful album is so crazy and schizophrenic. I'm glad they ultimately went down the space/doom/psychedelic root personally.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

I can understand WHY they booted Syd from the band; I just think the WAY they went about it was bullshit. He put them on the map; Let's remember that b4 Syd got there they were garbage. One of a thousand white English bands playing the blues & not very well from what we've all read. I don't think Syd was long for the Pop world anyway & imo he was to pure an artist. He was BORN for the likes of the UFO & The Roundhouse, but TOTP's & Hans Keller,I don't think so. I'm looking forward to the new Rob Chapman book, I heard Syd's family were behind it 100%. Syd didn't help matters with his attitude & massive drug consumption but he & Waters were childhood friends & I would've thought that Waters would have tried a little harder to help. Grow some balls...if you're dumping a guy from your band, tell him or her to his face. You don't leave it opened ended like they did, bullshit in my opinion.They then took Syd's plight & made gazillions off it. They want us to feel sorry for THEM because he's not with them anymore. What a crock.. they wouldn't be around if it WASN'T for Syd!! I think we miss Syd more than the Floyd ever will; They declined to be interviewed for the book. Jealousy, me thinks. From what I've heard here across the pond, he's STILL the most famous Floyd & he's been dead for 4 years. Do the math!!
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Has anyone in our group read this book yet? If so, I'd welcome a review or your opinions on it. I just ordered it from Amazon UK & it should be here soon. The book reviews that I've read all say it's a great read, Syd's family helped out & (My favorite part!) Mr. Chapman debunks alot of the "Urban Legend" garbage that has come out for years instead of looking @ the man's music, lyrics,his paintings, guitar sounds....hell, even the cool clothes he wore. I think we need to pass this book on to every journalist that ever wrote about Syd because this book I hope changes the "Crazy Syd" stories into"Gee, you know what? The guy actually had talent & wasn't just a loon". I doubt it, but here's wishing!!
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

I've read the reviews on this book & except for maybe 1 or 2 most reviewers state that this is THE definitive book on Syd; they talk to his sister Rose & I believe other family members & I think Rob Chapman did research for 4 years before this book went into print.
My question to all of you: WHY did the other surviving Floyd members decline to be interviewed for this book? Are they tired of Syd's story, are they jealous or has it already all been said by them before? I just find it....weird? Anyone else.....opinions!?
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

oldperfume wrote:Anyone else.....opinions!?
What's left for Gilmour and Waters to say? They barely knew him from 1970 until he died. They've told their version of the Syd story a hundred times already.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

oldperfume wrote:WHY did the other surviving Floyd members decline to be interviewed for this book?
Nah, why bother :lol:

Seriously (?), I think all´s been said/lied too many times already.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

oldperfume wrote:From what I've heard here across the pond, he's STILL the most famous Floyd & he's been dead for 4 years. Do the math!!
People remember Syd as a person, whereas they remember the rest either as musicians or as people with bad personalities (Roger).
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

oldperfume wrote:WHY did the other surviving Floyd members decline to be interviewed for this book? Are they tired of Syd's story, are they jealous or has it already all been said by them before? I just find it....weird? Anyone else.....opinions!?
Have the other members actually contributed at all to any Syd books? I know they give the occassinal word in interviews, and obviously Nick talked about him in Inside Out, but i don't know that they ever help out in Syd books. I suppose there could be a number of reasons, as said previously they would have had no knowledge of him post 1970.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I just purchased this book!!! <ii>
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Bear in mind, a lot of families don't like to share bad family memories and/or secrets. Mrs. Breen has proven that since Barrett passed away, she seemed very protective of her brother (speaking for him when an old friend would run into him), I doubt you'll find anything in this book that hasn't already been covered. Its a good thing the human mind can't be removed like an internal organ. Barretts mind would be completely shredded by now.

Why won't the Floyd men discuss Syd? What else can be said? And if they DO comment about him, they're branded "meanies" just for calling him crazy. But do you really think Syd gave a rats ass what people had to say about him?

Enough books, The Gilmour is doing the best thing in the whole wide world with this latest Barrett album coming out. Why sit and repeatedly call Syd crazy when he can bless us with more Barrett work, especially if he did some RE-MIIIIIIXXXX!

Barretts music is his autobiography.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I was flicking through my mate's copy of this and it really let's rip on 'Shine On', more so than is mentioned in this topic. It's extremely biased but was definately needed.

I think the truth is somewhere in between this and the common view.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I am about three chapters into it. I am not really a fan of biographies, but Pink Floyd is the exception. I don't know why. I am not really that interested in all the details of their lives.

It is true that none of the members of Pink Floyd were interviewed for this book, however, David Gilmour is credited with reading it and offering some clarification in the final manuscript before it went to print.

I actually like what I have read so far. The author does clarify some myths.

There is a lot of use of Syd's letters to Libby in the beginning.

One book I don't have is Random Precision. But, so far, this is probably the best book I have read in terms of Syd (I am only three chapters in).
Mr Kite
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mr Kite »

Regarding the way the bandmates treated him, it's fairly easy to say how others should act. It would have been nice for them to be more gentle with it. Your star is rising and then pretty suddenly it's pulled sideways. What do you do? I doubt they knew what to do - even if they did it would have been hard not to have your aspirations flourish because somebody either can't or won't do the gig. I think at least most of them were not without concern. They did go to pretty good lengths to help with the solo albums.
The truth is probably murky. They could have been nicer - but coddling him and turning your back on stratospheric heights would have been a difficult path. I doubt they saw it as an option.
I don't know really. Just guessing.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I finished the book the other day. Fantastic! I really like how myths are challenged and Syd is placed in some artistic context. I recommend this book.