Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Doctor Who

Post by ddebil »

That's a relevant deduction indeed, Stephen.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Thanks, Amy really disagrees it seems.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Maybe it'll prove to be a little early, but I'm already starting to think of Matt Smith as my favourite Doctor and hopefully he'll be given the material to endorse that. Also I noticed in Doctor Who Confidential that Karen Gillan looks much more attractive with minimal make-up as Amy than she did when she was interviewed off set and 'glammed up'. I think she is by far the most naturally beautiful of his companions.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

considering the popularity of Tennant he had big boots to fill but i think he is doing a great job so far - he could be the best of the contemporary series if he keeps it up. Amy is very easy on the eye and reminiscent of Wendy Padbury in her heyday.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I've never been more excited about the new series! It took long enough, but it is well in it's stride and I look forward to seeing this episode in a new light once the final episodes have been shown!
It seems insulting to the episode to go on about how mental next week's episode looks, so I'll just say it was balanced and the dialogue at times seemed to be mocking general attitudes by non-Doctor Who fans?
If this is just a taster of how amazing the rest of the series is, then it completely makes up for "Victory of the Daleks" and... the second episode.

I saw the David Tennant episode "The Shakespeare Code" on Watch afterwards, and although both set in European past, the style of "Vampires In Venice" was more engrossing. The show has finally stepped out of the shadow of Russell T Davies and Davd Tennant. I'm glad if it stepped out of their shadows earlier in the run for you?
It's funny, I really thought I wasn't going to be excited by this weeks episode?...
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I agree about this doing a much better job of what The Shakespeare Code seemed to be trying to achieve. It reminded me of Tooth & Claw, which is one of my favourite Tenth Doctor stories. That is probably because both episodes are period pieces dealing with traditional horror villains (i.e. werewolfs and 'vampires'), which can either go terriby wrong or very well in this show. They got it right for me this time, and it completely exceeded what I was hoping from it. The presence of Rory added something to the dynamic, and I'm glad he seems to be staying on for a while.

The next episode looks promising. I was a little skeptical about it after reading the synopsis but I have high hopes now.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

My expectations were pretty low for this episode, but I think it was pretty good. I loved the reference to Horror of Dracula (Rory using two candlesticks to form a cross) and Matt Smith is definitely becoming one of my favourite Doctors.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well that didn't take look to dash my joys for the series!...
I like what they did with the design, but not the "subtle, it was really subtle, you might not hav noticed it?" Funadmentalist Martyrdom angle. Other sci-fi shows have made attempts at doing stuff like this. A pity Doctor Who couldn't carry it off?
That "Nickelback album" thinking about weak episodes has come back with a passion!
I know, wait until the second episode... but that has got it's work cut out for it to be better!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I liked it, even if the new Silurian design is a bit pappy and the plot is very derivative of the first Silurian serial (with a few crucial differences). It's easily the best thing Chris Chibnall has written for this show or Torchwood, and I'm hoping the second episode will separate it further from the old Pertwee serial. I wish Rory would become a permanent member of the TARDIS crew.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i haven't seen the Silurian episode yet but i do think Rory needs to stay - triangles make for good drama. i am looking forward to the silurian episode as i recently watched the Silurians and the Seadevils Jon Pertwee episodes.

i have currently just finished watching The Chase and will likely watch The Space Museum next. (first doctor if you didn't know)
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Brilliant episode, except that the ending was bloody depressing. I hope the Doctor can fix this. When you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean :(
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I liked that two-parter much more than I was expecting, having been a bit underwhelmed by Chris Chibnall's scripts in the past. I really did not expect that to happen at the end, but I think it would be a cop out to reverse it at this point.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i saw the 2nd part of the two parter and thought it was dreadful - it started going down hill when we saw the first silurian with boobs. i just know they are going to do something with the engagement ring as it was placed inside some special protected part of the tardis. "i dont negotiate with humans" should have been "i dont negotiate with apes".

is it me or are Karen Gillan's legs getting thinner by each episode - dressing for rio was a bit lame as if she had she would have had bare legs. bring out the Andy Pandy outfit thats what i say.

why do they have to change the character design all the time - i liked the original silurians. oh wait - it was a different offshoot of the species. and the cybermen were from a different universe.

i thought this was the weakest effort so far.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

well i suppose this is going to be a double post in order to bump the topic'n'all but the "Vincent and the Doctor" episode was really enjoyable after the pap of last weeks two parter finale. it was good to see Bill Nighy in exactly the sort of role he can pull off in his sleep and there was great chemistry in the relationships of all the characters - even Karen Gillan managed to pull it off just right for once. i felt a genuine sadness for Vincent at the end. the only un-neccessary note for me was adding Amy's name to "sunflowers" - for me it was just a little too obvious. i thought the premise of the story was a little lame and i was not looking forward to it but the charisma of the actor who played Vincent (despite the accents) really made up for what could have been one of the worst episodes ever.

i hope i managed to avoid spoiling it for anyone who has yet to see it.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I agree with most of that. I had low expectations but it turned out to be much better than I was hoping for. Most of the historical episodes have been a bit iffy (Shakespeare Code), but there are some notable exceptions and this is one of them, along with The Girl in the Fireplace.

When they returned to the gallery after Vincent was taken back to his own time, I honestly expected two terrible and irredeemable scenarios at various points:

1. The entire exhibition of van Gogh to have vanished, after he no longer committed suicide and somehow affected his legacy as a consequence. That would've undermined the entire thread about his depression, so I'm glad they didn't go down that route.

or,

2. When Amy was staring at the painting, I thought it was going to be a portrait of her. That would've been the worst thing EVAR. So, as cheesy as the actual conclusion might have been, I quite liked it because I was genuinely expecting much worse.

I won't pretend that I didn't, for one moment, also expect Vincent to explode from information overload when he was taken into the future. hahaha.