Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Doctor Who

Post by olzen »

Surprisingly good episode. I'm with Roger on the historical episodes - most of the new ones have pretty much just served as filler, but I really liked both "Vampires of Venice" and "Vincent and the Doctor". In fact, I'm really liking this series and Matt Smith is by far one of the best Doctors in my opinion.

Yeah, all in all, great episode. It was cool to have Bill Nighy there and Tony Curran, whom I haven't heard of before, really put on a nice performance. I'm still kind of sad about Rory's passing, though. A male companion who stays on for more than just a few episodes would have been refreshing, really. I guess this is how some viewers felt back when Adric died.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

PublicImage wrote: Most of the historical episodes have been a bit iffy (Shakespeare Code), but there are some notable exceptions and this is one of them, along with The Girl in the Fireplace.

When they returned to the gallery after Vincent was taken back to his own time, I honestly expected two terrible and irredeemable scenarios at various points:

1. The entire exhibition of van Gogh to have vanished, after he no longer committed suicide and somehow affected his legacy as a consequence. That would've undermined the entire thread about his depression, so I'm glad they didn't go down that route.
or,
2. When Amy was staring at the painting, I thought it was going to be a portrait of her. That would've been the worst thing EVAR. So, as cheesy as the actual conclusion might have been, I quite liked it because I was genuinely expecting much worse.
I won't pretend that I didn't, for one moment, also expect Vincent to explode from information overload when he was taken into the future. hahaha.
you have a devious mind :) yes i enjoyed girl in the fireplace too. 2. so glad it wasnt a painting of Amy - the other possibility i invisaged was that van gogh was so impressed by the other work he saw in the museum that his own style changed dramatically and he became the father of cubism or something. <.8.>

olzen wrote: 1 . Matt Smith is by far one of the best Doctors in my opinion.
I'm still kind of sad about Rory's passing, though. A male companion who stays on for more than just a few episodes would have been refreshing, really. 2. I guess this is how some viewers felt back when Adric died.
1. yes i think he is too

2. i cheered personally as i found Adric to be an annoying little twerp :lol:
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

So what did you all think of the latest pair of stories? Out of these two, I definitely prefer Vincent and the Doctor, even though the monster was admittedly very weak. However, the chemistry between the three leads really made the episode, I think.

The Lodger was alright, but I'll always end up comparing the low budget-episodes to their predecessors, like Blink which this certainly wasn't a match for. It was a decent story, really, and it was really nice to see the Doctor in a different climate than usual. When is the last time we have seen him shower? Of course, it goes without saying that a filler episode supervised by Moffat is better than most of the good RTD-episodes...

I'm really looking forward to the series finale. Overall, this will probably go down as one of my favourite series of the new Doctor Who and by having the cracks show up throughout and killing off Rory, Moffat has achieved what RTD never really managed: bringing a sense of menace to the series closer.

Silence will fall, and I'm sure it's gonna be awesome :D
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I liked The Lodger. I'm not usually a fan of James Corden, but he proved that he can do a decent job if he has good material to work with (i.e. if he didn't write it himself). The Doctor carried the episode, though, and I like the awkardness of him trying to integrate with contemporary life on Earth. It was nothing revolutionary, but it was a good "calm before the storm" type of episode, leagues ahead of episodes like Fear Her.

Hearing the Doctor singing in the shower immediately made me think of Spearhead from Space.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

well it was okay - the idea was a bit thin - it was building up to be something really earth shattering then it just turned out to be a bit of a let down in the final 10 minutes - well dr who is better at soccer than he ever was at cricket it would seem.

i felt it was a bit of a filler episode - which would be fine if the show was american as they have 22 episodes but 13 episodes doesnt IMO leave much room for filler. i am still enjoying Matt Smith as the Doctor though - i hope he stays for at least a second season. still not so sold on Karen Gillan but she is okay. bring back Rory!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I don't seem to as enamoured as the rest of you are with Matt Smith's Doctor or this season. He's alright as the Doctor, it's not that I dislike him or anything, but he's just kind of that...all right. I certainly wouldn't put him up amongst my favourite doctors. Then again, it may be just this season's episodes. I haven't found any of them to be a standout. Sure, I've enjoyed it, but, nothing has really blown me away. My favourite was probably Vampires of Venice, and I enjoyed The Lodger too, but again, nothing to make me really say "wow, that was awesome!". Still waiting for that. I liked the character dynamic of the Van Gogh episode, and the guy who played Van Gogh was superb. It's a pity it couldn't have had a better story. If it had, it would have made for a classic episode. And Amy, well, I liked her at the start, but somehow she's started to grate on me for some reason. I liked Rory though, he was great, and should have been more of a 'real' companion, rather than a guest star for a few episodes.
MY RRRRS
Knife
Knife

Post by MY RRRRS »

I wouldnt kick her out of bed but i agree that she is starting to grate - from about the second ep onwards.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I think that's the bottom line.
MY RRRRS
Knife
Knife

Post by MY RRRRS »

Has she got a bottom? <.8.>
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I haven't been able to get on this site for a few weeks so I'll recap!

Apart from the last five minutes, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood was the lowest point of Doctor Who this year.
Even though Rory's death and Amy's amnesia was a cracking moment, it didn't make up for having to watch the minutes that led up to it!

Vincent And The Doctor was much better. It's impossible to do a bad historical and was the ultimate sentimental Richard Curtis that luckily didn't have a Hugh Grant cameo I was glad to be proved wrong when I first heard he'd written a script for the show.

The Lodger was also a suprise as it wasn't as cheap and awful as it looked on paper? James Corden used up all his annoyingness on the Doctor Who Confidential than the episode. It reminded me of a story from the Sarah Jane Adventures which no adult on a Pink Floyd forum would admit to watching? (And Jo Grant teams up with Sarah in the next Sarah Jane Adventures series! <ii> )

And finally today's episode. I'll have to see the next one to see if it makes up for episode two and three's rushed endings first, but that was the best of the series! So many red herrings and the slow motion ending could possibly be the greatest scene since the show came back? Everything that was great about the last five years and more in one episode.
And we still have one to go...
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

That was fantastic, and it will easily be the best Doctor Who serial since the show was revived if the second part can maintain the quality throughout. It had one great cliffhanger, and I'm so glad the BBC were not stupid enough to put a "next week..." clip at the end to completely ruin the tension (like they always do!).

Let's hope this finale doesn't suffer from "Utopia syndrome". The Master reveal at the end of Utopia was amazing, and the episodes that followed simply could not live up to it.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

oh no - not another two parter <.8.>
if the first part was good the finale will be naff - i don't think they have successfully managed a decent two parter since the revamp of the series. i don't count the two parter for the Tennant departure as that wasn't part of a a full run season. i hope i am wrong.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I thought Human Nature / Family of Blood, The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit and The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances were all good two-parters. Also, the finale from the first series.

oh yeah, and the Weeping Angels two-parter from this series. I loved that. The form for multi-episode finales is not as good as it ought to be, though.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I have no idea how to post my thoughts on this episode without completely spoiling everything. Suffice to say I have absolutely no idea how the heck they're going to pull out of this one. According to the brief official synopsis for the next one, little Amy has something to do with it. Gah, I can't wait to see "The Big Bang"!

All in all, if Moffat keeps the standard this high, this will be possibly the crowning moment of the new show. Thank God Moffat didn't simply go for RTD's overused "old enemy unexpectedly appears > the whole universe is in danger > the Doctor tricks said enemy in the nick of time > the enemy is killed off way too soon and sentimental crap about the Doctor being 'the last of the Time Lords' ensues"-formula.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Maybe I've missed something along the way but is not the most crucial thing in this whole series that Amy doesn't remember the Earth being moved through space by Davros and the Daleks? She encounters them in the Winston Churchill episode but according to her that's her first knowledge of them, which shouldn't be the case, so this factor must play an important role in the coming story or beyond.