Roger Waters supports fox hunting?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Should fox hunting be allowed?

Yes!
39%
No!
46%
Only for pest control.
11%
Other answer!
4%

Total votes: 28

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roger Waters supports fox hunting?

Post by Keith Jordan »

It seems that Roger Waters is going to be performing at a gig on 16th October 2002 at the Royal Albert Hall in support of The Countryside Alliance. They happen to support fox hunting! What are your views?
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger the killer

Post by Guest »

Well if roger supports the countryside alliance then he can go f**k himself, I live in the Countryside, have done all my life, Hunting has no benifit what so ever, there is no problems with pest control, theres bugger all wildlife left compared to 50 years ago since the greedy farmers decided to over saturate there fields with livestock and eat up any vegetation that the odd fox or rabbit might eat.

Hunting is just as bad as dog fighting or badger bateing and if he supports this barbaric act then looses lots of fans then its his tough shit.

Matthew North
Devon UK
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Hunting is natural and humans have done it since the beginning of our time. Why stop now because we are apes in suits or jeans?? Is it not a natural part of the human male as is sexual reproduction? Should we have our right to be a natural human being taken away by... a government? :D

Surly it is a matter of personal choice? If your morals say hunting is not to be done, what gives people the right to stop others whose morals say it is okay? :D

Rabbits and foxes are pests. They can cause issues for farmers. :D
MuabDib

Roger Waters Foxhunting

Post by MuabDib »

I have never gone foxhunting

I have never wanted to go foxhunting

I will probably never ever will go foxhunting

But I believe it is up to the individual to choose whether they hunt foxes or not.

The government should not impose their beliefs [or prejudices] on the population.
There are a lot more important problems for this government to focus on that affect a lot of people directly; both socially and finanacially.

Opinion polls vary widely on whether hunting should be banned. Both sides choose the poll they like best. Perhaps this issue should be left for a referendum. I think the anti-hunting lobby would be disappointed by the result, providing inherrent apathy by voters on such a narrow issue directly afffecting a small %age of the population can be overcome

Rog can support whatever he likes - that is his right
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

Other answer: Whatever makes him (or anyone else for that matter) happy :D
Kev382869

foxes

Post by Kev382869 »

It had better only be a rumour that Waters will support fox killers. These people only care about their own twisted views about rich people's 'freedom' to do whatever they want, whatever the consequences to the environment that they trample over. Waters songs like 'Breathe' will sound very hollow if he plays. But I'm sure that Waters is not stupid enough to play at this right-wing rally ????
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Conservatism is the natural order of the British people! We support individual rights and the state should have no right to spy on people, control their behaviour or otherwise take a man's freedom away. If an animal is on your land and you want to kill it, that should be your right as a human being. :D Other humans, especially through the state system, should not have the right to take that right away!! :lol:
steeleye

Sad and surprised

Post by steeleye »

If you are going to discuss foxhunting be honest. It's not about hunting. It's about deliberate and excessive cruelty inflicted on animals. We have already passed judgement on cock/dog fighting and foxhunting is no different. As far as arguments about freedoms are concerned this is just laughable. None of us are free to act in ways we as a society have deemed unacceptable and if the majority decides that about foxhunting then that is that. I feel it is my duty to respect the laws my society lays down if I want to be a part of it. I also feel it is everyones right to discuss and campaign for different viewpoints if that is the way they feel. However as I find deliberate cruelty for it's own sake utterly sickening I will lose any respect for Waters views should he support this. There are plenty of causes that need fighting for this ain't one of them.
Rasher

Ranting Roger

Post by Rasher »

:cry: I've never understood anti hunting campaigners. Cute little foxy woxies aren't so cute when you see one with its jaws around the neck of a fluffy wabbit. They also have a cute foxy nosed tendency to leave said wabbits unkilled to die slowly. These rabbits emit a high pitched scream for the many hours it can take to die. Why doesn't the fox kill em and eat em straight away? I believe its this human like cruelty that endears the fox to the anti-hunt campaigner.

:wink: Imho there are a lot of issues in this twisted world which are far more deserving of attention than foxy woxies, and those are the ones involving injustice and suffering to humans - thats right, our kind, the ones anti hunt campaigners seem to hate so much. OK, so the odd fox dies a scary and bloody death. There's still plenty about, I see them nearly every day, they are in no danger of extinction.

:evil: We ignore the plight of the black driver hunted mercilessly by the policeman and many rejoice in the stalking of the pot smoker by the politician. We accept the annihilition of our cultures by the American dream. Jews kill Palestinians, Palestinains kill Jews. Irish Irish people kill British Irish people, British Irish people kill Irish Irish people. The media gift wraps the whole thing into an entertainment package and somewhere a single fox being shredded by a few hungry hounds causes a stir - the human condition is the real issue here.

:roll: Roger Waters has always had the ability to smell the real blood in the world and the courage to put it into words and music, I would like anti hunt campaigners to get some aroma therapy treatment fast and stop wasting everyones time and money.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Roger Waters press release issued earlier today:

ROGER WATERS AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL IN AID OF THE COUNTRYSIDE ALLIANCE

On October 16, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will give the premier performance of the Overture from Roger Waters' opera, Ca Ira. In addition, Roger will play 2 songs with his band and the RPO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger Waters describes his support for the Countryside Alliance:

"I was recently contacted by someone who runs one of the many Pink Floyd/Roger Waters websites. He wanted me to be aware that something of a debate was in progress relating to my forthcoming concert performance at the Royal Albert Hall in support of The Countryside Alliance.

For anyone who doesn’t know, the Countryside Alliance is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the British Countryside in all its diversity with a special brief to encourage conservation of wildlife and wildlife habitats and to defend the traditions of country life and the livelihoods of those connected with those traditions. One of those traditions is hunting with dogs.

One of my most treasured possessions is a diary which my father kept, in his 16th year, from Christmas 1930 until the autumn of 1931. This is the entry for 1st Jan 1931:

"The New Years Eve Dance finished at 3am and Ken and I went into their house for some coffee. Verna and I went to the hunt at Romaldkirk. Lovely day. Hounds put on railway line, set up a hare and ran it west"

My father's subsequent story is well documented. He was a man of high principal, who gave his life fighting the tyranny of Nazi Germany. Ironically, Hitler banned foxhunting in 1939.

As a child, I was forever rescuing sick or wounded animals and nursing them back to health and freedom. I was determined that when I grew up I was going to become a vet. I mention this ambition only because my position illustrates the general point that the pro-hunting fraternity is informed by a love of animals not the reverse.

The anti-hunting lobby claims its desire to criminalize is motivated by a belief that hunting with dogs is cruel. If cruelty to animals was the real motivation why not first address the transport of live animals to slaughter, the tethering of sows, experiments in the cosmetics industry, the factory farming of poultry and the caging of veal calves? I believe the real motivation is based on old grudges conceived in the alienation of our class-ridden society carried via the anthropomorphism of "The Bambi Syndrome", and given birth to in an ill-educated urban society disaffected from the traditional British values of personal liberty on moral issues. What we see is a "Lets get the bloody toffs" attitude. My view is that hunting with dogs is not only morally correct but also a natural expression of mans' nature as an omnivore. I understand that others hold an opposing view and I respect their right to do so. It may be that I am part of a minority. If that is the case I would expect my government to protect my rights, as it should any minority. It would be a grave mistake for the government to impose legislation on the rural community, which would create a bitter divide between town and country in a society already battling with a sense of loss. Loss of empire, loss of self respect, loss of purpose, loss of national identity, loss of the traditional British virtues of fair play and fair-mindedness.

I see the current attack on hunting as part of a general move towards an Orwellian future where our children and grandchildren could inherit a life of dull grey uniformity in a land dumbed down and neutered by the twin blades of a crass tabloid press and government motivated by the political expediency of clinging to power at all costs.

There is some deep part of the Englishness in me that compels me to stand and be counted.

PS: There is a very good book "The Hunting Gene", which I would recommend to anyone, on either side of the argument, who is interested in the hunting issue in England. It is written by Robin Page and distributed by Merlin Unwin Books, 7 Corve St, Ludlow, Shropshire."

Press release issued 30th September 2002.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

Imho there are a lot of issues in this twisted world which are far more deserving of attention than foxy woxies, and those are the ones involving injustice and suffering to humans
Roger Waters has always had the ability to smell the real blood in the world and the courage to put it into words and music

Very good point -
Why isn't he supporting something like the stop the war coillition -
is the Countryside Aliance is more important than the (other) recent march against a war on Iraq - for example?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Has he been invited to anything else? I don't know.

But I do know he was invited to support the Countryside Alliance at the Royal Albert Hall later this month, and he accepted the invitation.
Mr Fox

Post by Mr Fox »

quote]If an animal is on your land and you want to kill it, that should be your right as a human being.[[/quote]

So if you cross my back yard I can set me dogs on you and have a laugh over a drink in the local later then!

Anyway's, all us animals love to kill its that just we are soooooooo inventive and good at it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If somebody broke into my house and was threatening my family, I think I should have the legal right to shoot them dead.

If somebody climbs over the back fence of your home, they should be at your mercy. That would soon stamp out burglary and probably have a knock on effect on stopping drug abuse and general violence in society.

Liberalism works only to an extent. It is an ideal. Good for creating the right environment for people to grow up in and develop into a decent human. When things go bad, they need sorting out. The whole Fox Hunting issue is just one issue but a political one about individual rights and freedoms.

If somebody disrespects my right to property, trespasses and enters my property without my permission, I should be able to kill him stone dead. If a fox is something I do not want on my land destroying my animals and crops (or I don't like it's nasty little face), I should be able to set dogs on it and blast it away with no. 8 shot right out of my musket. :lol: Hahahahahaha!!
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bob daFox

Post by Mr Bob daFox »

The one big problem I have is that in basic principle I agree with your answer in the broadest sense as the issues of personal freedom/rights is at stake. Trouble is there is no balance. I don't want a Victorian era revival but this (our) generation ain't got it right either.

As for the fox, I have it on good authority that usually only the weak and old get caught. The sly lil buggers get away more often than not.

The real topic here she be Bob Slaying. That really is cruel :wink: