Syd's next-door neighbour

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: Syd's next-door neighbour

Post by oldperfume »

How do you even begin to trust this guy? This (his) story is 4 years old. Where's his book? Maybe another magazine article? Nothing! Not 1 damn thing; like he disappeared or maybe he was so full of shit, he floated away down the Thames. If he's to be believable & if he is, journalists all over beter get their facts right. I've never heard of Syd having this bad of behavior, but I'm stuck in Chicago, not a beautiful place like Cambridge. If he did i have even more sympathy for Syd. David Sore, the ball's in his court now.......Where are you Dave??
royalterrapin
Embryo
Embryo

Post by royalterrapin »

To quote from David Sore's Mail piece: "If we passed in the street, he would occasionally manage a mumbled 'Hello' but more often than not he would simply hurry past, head down. Sometimes he even crossed the road to avoid me."

A good judge of character was Syd....
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Syd's Neighbour

Post by Wolfpack »

gredask wrote:Thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had in ages. I am new here, and am absolutely stunned by the blinkered view some of you people have of Syd Barrett. Some of the responses to that newspaper article are staggering: it must be lies because No 7 St Margaret's Square couldn't be next door to No 8; it must be lies because it's written in a 'childish manner'; it's a fake newspaper article! All because the guy dared to write some stuff about your 'hero' that wasn't very flattering. How old are you people?!
Agreed.
But isn't the story of this neighbour (David Sore) intentionally overlooked in biography 'A Very Irregular Head'?

In a Q&A, author Rob Chapman says about David Sore:
A – My thoughts, clearly and unambiguously are that I didn’t want to give this individual a scintilla of publicity. Whatever the ‘merits’ or otherwise of his comments (and there were none as far as I can see), I totally objected to the forum in which he presented them. I did check him out, quite extensively as it happens, and my enquiries lead, among other places, to a website where he gives his enlightened views on capital punishment and who should receive it – most of us, by the look of it. I found some of his comments (and the manner and ‘style’ in which he expressed them) genuinely disturbing actually. For some reason I was also reminded of Private Eyes “from The Message Boards” column. Private Eye readers will know exactly what I’m talking about.
source: http://www.sydbarrett.com/news/RobChapman_Q&A.pdf

Chapman avoids giving an indepth answer about Sore's comments. Chapman complains mainly about Sore himself. I think that's lame. We just have to believe Chapman on his words, when he tells Sore's comments are useless. While Chapman is very close to the Barrett family, who mostly avoid talking all too heavy about Barrett's problems.
As Sore wants to be an author of a book himself, maybe there has been a bit of competition between him and Chapman.
In short, Chapman's answer doesn't convince me. I hope his book isn't as lame. (I wanted to buy the book, until I read this answer.)

Barrett's hate towards Roger Waters is mentioned in an interview with Rosemary in 'Fish Out Of Water'. Although this booklet raises some questions for me.
If I recall correctly, the animal-like howling is mentioned in 'Crazy Diamond', as being a story from an anonymous origin.

I found the image of Barrett being relaxed about leaving Pink Floyd, an unbelievable one. A biography (don't recall which one) mentions Barrett visiting Pink Floyd concerts in 1968, staring at Gilmour and once trying to get on-stage and then being pushed away. That occasion got a bit violent.
Mr Tuck wrote:Gredask mate, i can totally accept that maybe he was violent/frightening etc. and thats fair enough. I don't condone violence in any form, no matter who is the culprit.
But what i hate is how all this has come to light. The bloke didn't have to tell the paper his story of living next door to Syd. But he did, and for that i think hes a total wanker. He may of got offered a nice amount of money for his story. Sad little man with nothing fulfilling in this life, so he decides to rant to the papers maybe.
Would Syds family really want to see that scrawled across the paper on a sunday morning? I'm guessing not.
What about all the other people telling about Barrett? Did they need to tell their story? Isn't this a case where the messenger gets killed for his message being bad news?
Chris Moise wrote:The article is a complete fraud. Why? Well, he has vandalized the Syd Barrett Wikipedia page countless times in order to add SPAM links to his Myspace page. He also has a section on his Myspace page where he offers to tell the "truth" about Syd Barrett for a small fee. All you have to do is call him, pay him and he will tell all :roll:
This is no proof of the story being fake. Whether or not this neighbour wants to cash is not much of a point. Pink Floyd can also be accused of telling about Barrett in promotional interviews for Pink Floyd albums. Does it make their information worthless?
Keith Jordan wrote:Here is an excellent article on Barrett's antics as told by his next door neighbour. ;-)

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/index ... th-jordan-
I notice an error. The article mentions: "When Pink Floyd finally got their visas sorted out so that they could work and perform in the USA in November 1967, Syd was not able to perform at all on occasion; particularly the American Bandstand show." And it shows a picture of "Pink Floyd performing on the American Bandstand show in 1967".
I've seen that performance ('Apples and Oranges') on YouTube. Barrett is performing there, lipsynching and all. He looks tired, but so does the rest of the band.

Barrett keeping his mouth closed at the very end of the song (the scatted line), might just be a little joke or protest. John Lennon did the same in a film for 'Ticket to Ride'. He kept his mouth shut during a "Yeah!" and intentionally lipsynched it too late.

"Apparently Roger’s behaviour went like this: [...] Lived on fry-ups often setting pan on fire then abandoning it"
Duggie Fields has told a story about Barrett having abandoned a pan that then got on fire. When confronted with the burning pan, Barrett put the fire out and smiled.
royalterrapin wrote:To quote from David Sore's Mail piece: "If we passed in the street, he would occasionally manage a mumbled 'Hello' but more often than not he would simply hurry past, head down. Sometimes he even crossed the road to avoid me."
Crossing the road to avoid people, can be a symptom of mental problems.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Even walking down the street can be a symptom of mental problems, right?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hudini wrote:Even walking down the street can be a symptom of mental problems, right?
Wrong. That's not what I wrote.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Wolfpack wrote:
royalterrapin wrote:To quote from David Sore's Mail piece: "If we passed in the street, he would occasionally manage a mumbled 'Hello' but more often than not he would simply hurry past, head down. Sometimes he even crossed the road to avoid me."
Crossing the road to avoid people, can be a symptom of mental problems.
Im a fuckin nutjob so cos I do that all the time ....
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

wiped wrote: Im a fuckin nutjob
...we knew that without the street crossing thing.

:lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I think more than one of us is nuts in that case 8-[
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Wolfpack wrote: Crossing the road to avoid people, can be a symptom of mental problems.
Show me a charity collector and I'm across that road to avoid them like a shot.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

What does it matter? The guy is right, the guy is wrong so what? The subject is dead.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Wolfpack wrote:Crossing the road to avoid people, can be a symptom of mental problems.
I strongly doubt it would enter any DSM criterion
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Stephen wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Crossing the road to avoid people, can be a symptom of mental problems.
Show me a charity collector and I'm across that road to avoid them like a shot.
Why would you? Why would someone else make you change your way? Are you afraid that charity collectors will bite you? Why not just walk on and ignore them?
David Smith wrote:
I strongly doubt it would enter any DSM criterion
It can be found in question lists for getting a DSM diagnosis.