Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Not sure if there is any significance to this but, in an interview today in the Illinois Times, the band Venice (who are going to be singing backing vocals on Roger Waters upcoming tour of The Wall in 2010 and 2011) said that Roger Waters was in their front room watching a DVD of the original Wall tour!

Talking about the excitement of getting a break touring with Roger Waters Kipp Lennon said, “It’s like someone looked down and said, ‘You’ve put in your 30 years of playing so here’s a little break.’ It’s just amazing,” said Lennon. “Roger Waters was in my living room drinking Coronas while we watched a DVD of the first Wall tour.”

Now I may be stretching my imagination a little bit too far but could there possibly be a DVD in the works? Or at least making video available on Roger’s website at some point?

The original Wall tour of 1980 and 1981 was filmed but Roger and the band decided that the quality of the filming was not of a high enough quality to ever release. So it has sat in Roger Waters’ vault ever since. Now wouldn’t it be a treat if that video was made available in some form, be it a DVD or just in HD on his website? I think so!

There have been various documentaries made over the years which feature video footage from the original Wall tour. Most notably the rendition of Comfortably Numb with David Gilmour standing on top of the wall playing out his solo. The quality of the recording looked rather good so this raises hope that there could, one day, be a release of it on DVD.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any thoughts on this that you would like to share.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Damn!t »

Thats probably some "work in progress" version of the wall show that's been dusted off so they could see how things should be done for the upcoming tour.
We all know that theres a great material from that tour in Rogers pocket, but I dont think that this is some final product that will be released.
Would be good if he would issue a dvd from the upcoming tour with the nice bonus that will consist of original material from '80, '81.

Damn venetians, I fookin hate them cuz they saw this and not me!!! ONEONEONE!!!! :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, I don't have any sources to offer right now, but Roger has mentioned several times in the past few years that he would like to release a dvd, because he did find the film of a full concert (not the video many of us have seen) AND the technology now exists to make it good.

EDIT: The Wall in Berlin 1990 is set for a new DVD release (look on Amazon - no pre-sale yet).
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

It would be so nice if we could grab a hold of the original tour DVD, but I sincerely doubt that it would be released soon. It has to be something as a showcase of how things should be done for the new tour, otherwise I don't see any real reason Roger Waters would watch it someone else's living room. It's not really the most normal thing to do, unless you want to show it someone.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Hudini wrote:It's not really the most normal thing to do..
You mean Crossing the road to avoid people Hudini, right? :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I expect to be attacked by a pack of wolves now. :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

nosaj wrote:EDIT: The Wall in Berlin 1990 is set for a new DVD release (look on Amazon - no pre-sale yet).
Has that not already been released on DVD? Are they just bringing it back into print of adding something to it do you think?

Roger has been working on this Wall 1980s DVD for some time and found some new footage a couple of years ago. There is some talk on t'interweb that there could be an autumn 2010 release to coincide with the tour that Roger is doing. That could be a nice Christmas present!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It's hard to know what to make of it but it's one of the holy grails, isn't it? Perhaps it is possible to do something with the original footage :?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

snifferdog wrote:It's hard to know what to make of it but it's one of the holy grails, isn't it? Perhaps it is possible to do something with the original footage :?
They did a decent job on the PULSE DVD and that was recorded onto video tape! I believe The Wall was recorded on film, if that is the correct term.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Or he might just be watching the "Harvested" bootleg...hahahaha....
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Could it be that Roger was in SoCal, working with Venice on their parts for the show and was "multi-tasking" by taking the opportunity of being near a DVD player and television to maybe check on the progress of a DVD release of the original shows?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Let's not get too optimistic.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Someone got hold of the original footage of the 1980/1981 tours and mixed it up with the "Is There Anybody Out There?" live album. It's on You Tube somewhere. Unless it's been taken off You Tube... remember a few years ago when You Tube was actually a fun and exciting place to visit? As long as you didn't look at the comments...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

It's the Earl's Court 1980 gig you're talking about. It's still on the YouTube somewhere, but it's also widely available for download. Lousy as it is, it's still the only complete pro-shot of the tour released in any way, officially or not.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Or he might just be watching the "Harvested" bootleg...hahahaha....
My thoughts exactly.

It would be nice to get a Wall show on DVD someday, flickery projections and all.