David Gilmour Joined by Roger Waters to play Hoping event...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: David Gilmour Joined by Roger Waters to play Hoping even

Post by nosaj »

snifferdog wrote:Nah, I don't think he'll play at any of Roger's shows because that's getting back into the 'which one is Pink' stuff. Last weekend's performance was just two musicians who happen to have been in Pink Floyd at some stage and who who were professional enough to play a few songs together and pose for photos.
Well Sniffa, you never know. Here is a little something from Roger's Facebook page posted today...look at the last line. <.8.>

"The gig with David.
Today at 1:57pm

So here's what happened. Last year, 'The Hoping Foundation' a charity that supports Palestinian refugee kids, (www.hopingfoundation.org) put on a fund raiser at Ronnie Scott's Club in London, the idea of which was to raise money by auctioning karaoke performances by various celebrities. David was there as a supporter and was moved to perform an impromptu rendition of George Gershwin's 'Summertime?' which he performed aided and abetted by supermodel Kate Moss.

In the wake of that evening, someone, I think it was David himself, came up with this 'Wouldn't it be funny', idea. What if he (David that is) were to sing the old Teddy Bears song 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' with me (Roger that is), what with us having been so famously at each other's throats for years and years. Get it!!!! Anyway he E-mailed me with this suggestion and I loved it, so then it was just a question of juggling dates and deciding to do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb' to round out our little set. Or so I thought, until he sent me a number of very musical and eloquent demos of how we could do the song in two-part harmony. I listened with a sinking heart, knowing that David, with his superior vocal skills, could sing either part standing on his head, whilst I would have to search for a different key and then struggle through hours and hours of routining a performance that lay way outside my vocal comfort zone. To my eternal shame I bottled out and told Dave I would happily do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'C. Numb', but that 'To Know him is to Love him' was beyond me.

Some weeks passed with David cajoling me from time to time, telling me how easy it would be, but I clung resolutely to my fear of failure until one day he made one final entreaty. I quote "If you do 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' for The Hoping Foundation Gig, I'll come and do 'C. Numb' on one of your Wall shows". Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How fucking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be shite, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was fucking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning.

Roger

PS. Just heard from David, he will decide in due course which gig he wants to do, it will be a surprise!"

Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/notes/roger-wat ... 7855556673
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Great! <ii> <ii> <ii>

Now, I wonder what are the odds he picks Budapest? :lol:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

???!!!!
the really amazing thing is Dave repeatedly begging Roger to sing a vocal part Roger claims he cannot do
hope all the partisans take note, Dave of all people is not putting Roger down for his naturally aging vocal range
remember all the bodylanguage experts who swore Dave was laughing at Rogers Wish You Were Here vocal during the Live 8 performance? maybe after all he was just smiling because he enjoyed it
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

Or even Kentucky even though no official show for there has been announced, yet. :)
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

zag wrote:British financier Arpad Busson, was so taken with the performance,
he donated £50,000 to get them to play "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2."
When I first read Keith's post at the top I thought, "why the hell would they play abitw2"? Now I understand. Thanks, Zag.

Of all the lame requests......
Oh well, it's the donation that matters.
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

good news <ii>
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Idisaffect wrote:
zag wrote:British financier Arpad Busson, was so taken with the performance,
he donated £50,000 to get them to play "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2."
Of all the lame requests......
Oh well, it's the donation that matters.
Which got me thinking what song would you have requested if you'd happen to have that amount spare?

I'm torn between the Waters/Gilmour classics "Point Me At The Sky" and "Fearless"? Fearless probably would have been easiest to play but carrying off PMATS would have been special.
I imagine the financer is probably one of those people who say that Pink Floyd are their favourite band, but have only heard a couple of albums? I'm not knocking the financier? I was just saying!

What song or even four song set would work even more for you?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Which got me thinking what song would you have requested if you'd happen to have that amount spare?

I'm torn between the Waters/Gilmour classics "Point Me At The Sky" and "Fearless"?
Why not "Crumbling Land", or perhaps "On the Run"?
mv45
Axe
Axe

Post by mv45 »

Hudini wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Which got me thinking what song would you have requested if you'd happen to have that amount spare?

I'm torn between the Waters/Gilmour classics "Point Me At The Sky" and "Fearless"?
Why not "Crumbling Land", or perhaps "On the Run"?

Listening to 'Valley of the Kings' I would die to hear a proper live version of Childhoods End!
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

haha....How about the entire Atom Heart Mother Suite? With full orchestra and choir?

The whole encore thing was probably staged, right?
In reality, there are probably very few songs Gilmour and Waters can sing/play together on acoustic guitars right off the top of their heads. How about Brain Damage? Seems easy enough. I wonder when was the last time Gilmour played Mother? Or Hey You. Waters has maybe not played Hey You on guitar since he wrote it. I don't know. Money would be weird without a rhythm section. Waters would probably need to practice to play Breathe. Animals is out. Roy Harper wasn't there..... ABITW2 makes sense now that I think about it.
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

My picks for 50,000 pounds:

1. The Embryo
2. Green is the Colour
3. Fearless
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Dream four song set for Dave & Rog:

01) Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
02) Shine On You Crazy Diamond
03) Echoes
04) Pigs (Three Different Ones)

Not only excellent tracks, but also likely to keep them onstage for a couple of hours!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

For 50 000 quid I'd made them play money for me. Just for pun and fun. Fuck it.
ScottF
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ScottF »

Idisaffect wrote:Money would be weird without a rhythm section.
They had a rhythm section for that performance.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

"Money" isn't actually the easiest song to play, I reckon there's not many drummers who can just come out and play it live without rehearsing.