Pink Floyd- Soundtrack from the Film More

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
15%
37%
29%
14%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 86

Jacek
Axe
Axe

Re: Pink Floyd- Soundtrack from the Film More

Post by Jacek »

First off, I'd like to thank Massed Gadgets for his excellent post. Interesting stuff indeed, especially the bit about Seabirds!

This was my least favorite album when I was a kid, but I love it now. It's uneven sometimes, true, but it is self-consciously a soundtrack (way moreso than OBC), and it has a number of spectacular tracks. Of the song-songs, I love Cirrus Minor, Green is the Colour, Cymbaline, and Ibiza Bar, but I don't care as much for The Nile Song and Crying Song. All the short tracks are fun, and the longer instrumentals are thoroughly enjoyable, too. I love how prominent everyone, but especially Rick, is throughout this album.

My favorite track at the moment is Quicksilver; last I listened to it, it was twilight, and I was climbing a gorgeous hill headed for the walnut tree on the hilltop, the cloud formations were stunning, the views down into the farm on which I'm working just plain marvelous... all around me were flowers, but everything was deathly still, and the eeriness of the track really made itself felt. I used to pass over the song, not thinking it anything special, but since that walk/climb a few days ago, it's shot up to my very favorite Floyd instrumentals!

So yeah, not perfect, and not as much of a tour-de-force of creativity as most of the other albums surrounding it, but still by all means an excellent record.

4/5
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jacek wrote:I don't care as much for The Nile Song and Crying Song.
My favorite track at the moment is Quicksilver
I don't want to question your choice, but as far as I'm concerned you don't care about two songs that are among the best on the album and your favourite track is one of the dullest from the Pink Floyd catalog. Just my two cents...
maxwas
Embryo
Embryo

Post by maxwas »

I used to really enjoy getting stoned and listening to More when I was a kid, I still have a really soft spot for it now, I love it. There are some terrific versions of Cymbaline and Green is the Colour on early roio's from around 70/71, back then they were concert staples.

@Steph22's post he mentions Cymbaline:
I have a live version of this song and about half way through the band just stop playing and a sound effect of people walking and opening and shutting doors is heard along with a girl giggling coquettishly.
That is from Embryo San Diego 71, one of the best PF roio's going :D
Last edited by maxwas on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

maxwas wrote:I used to really enjoy getting stoned and listening to More when I was a kid...
Oh yes, those were the times! When a 7 year old could have some good fun with no need of any kind of electronic videogame device!
maxwas
Embryo
Embryo

Post by maxwas »

when I was a kid
Sorry, teenager :)
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Just got a c.d copy I won on ebay. The vocals on Cymabline seem to be too low in the mix. I've only ever had a tape fo the album before and can't remeber the vocals being that low in the mix. Also never really noticed or I've forgot how that song on now in the midddle of the album is just Nile song with differnt lyrics. I actually think the first side is briliant. Love it. The 2nd side is obviously not so good being little more than inst. ditties of varying lenghts. Not bad though. I prefer this album to OBC.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

danielcaux wrote:
-

Atmospheric Mood Pieces
"Main Theme" (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) – 5:28
"Quicksilver" (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) – 7:13
"Dramatic Theme" (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) – 2:15

Musical Snippets
"Up the Khyber" (Nick Mason, Richard Wright) – 2:12
"Party Sequence" (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) – 1:07
"More Blues" (Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason) – 2:12
"A Spanish Piece" (Gilmour) – 1:05

NOTE: I assume the survivor threads are going to be deleated, so I'm re-posting this one here for posterity.
Looks like the cut off point between Atmospheric mood pieces and Musical snippets is 2.13 or 2.14 :lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:Each song on these categories should be evaluated in their own teleological merits
I read this as "theological". Could make sense though...
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

Soundtrack From The Film More

1. Cirrus Minor: A very soothing and melodious introducton to the soundtrack. - 7.5

2. The Nile Song: A very noisy hard rock song with too much screaming. Not for me. - 5.0

3. Crying Song: This is another soothing song, very smooth. I like when the electric guitar kicks in at the end. - 7.0

4. Up The Khyber: It sounds nice when the drums kick in but then it degenerates into a mess. Unimpressive. - 5.0

5. Green Is The Colour: One of the best songs on the album. The softly sung high-pitch vocals were excellent. - 8.5

6. Cymbaline: The best song on the soundtrack. Loved the vocals and instruments. The melodies were pleasing to the ears. - 9.0

7. Party Sequence: Some drumming and a flute-like instrument? Sounds alright but was too short to be of any real value. - 6.0

8. Main Theme: A thoroughly satisfying instrumental track, just great as it is. - 7.5

9. Ibiza Bar: The second hard rock song on this soundtrack. Fortunately this one sounds much better than "The Nile Song". - 7.0

10. More Blues: This track was a bit bare, definitely lacking something. - 5.5

11. Quicksilver: A decent instrumental track that became stagnant. Not enough musical diversity, but still alright. - 6.0

12. A Spanish Piece: A good laugh, not something I was expecting. Still probably should have left this off the soundtrack! - 4.0

13. Dramatic Theme: I like this one a lot, should have been longer. - 7.0

14. Album Artwork: An ok psychedlic album cover that fits well with the late 60's. - 6.0

Final Score: 6.5 (out of 10)

Final words: Not as bad as some might say it is. Considering this was the soundtrack for a B-rate movie, I'd say we were quite lucky to end up with such greats as "Cymbaline" and "Green Is The Colour". Definitely not Pink Floyd's worst.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Jack Wolf wrote:
2. The Nile Song: A very noisy hard rock song with too much screaming. Not for me. - 5.0
I agree, although 5.00 is way too generous. For me The Nile Song is about as welcome on this album as 21st Century Schizoid Man is on the first King Crimson one.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

has anyone else got a c.d with a version of Cymbaline that seems to be wrong? On mine the vocals in the chorus seem mixed far too low. I was thinking of downloading it from itunes to see if it's supposed to be like that.
dreamsalone
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dreamsalone »

Though certainly not my favourite album by PF, I like the variety, too. I am a sucker for soundtracks and they always attract me with their different styles and tunes and all that. And when it's one by PF, it's a winner. :)
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

I've just made a playlist version for my itunes. It's called Less :D
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Anybody notice the recording of 'The Nile Song' is sort of...one sided, audio-wise? Everything is pushed into my right ear. Everything else on the album is fine, but this song. Maybe it's just me? 0.o
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I never tried listening to "More" with headphones on, but I assume there's nothing wrong with a 1969 mix being panned hard to one side. I know for sure that basically everything in the stereo mixes of the first two Floyd albums is panned hard to one side or another. Some of those songs have all the instrumental tracks panned to one side and all the vocals on other, which may sound a bit awkward when listening to with headphones.