An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by Keith Jordan »

A new compilation album called “An Introduction to Syd Barrett” will be released by EMI on 4th October 2010 in the UK and Europe.

The album features 18 songs by Syd Barrett from his solo albums as well as Pink Floyd. 5 of the songs have been re-mixed and added to by the album’s producer Pink Floyd’s guitarist David Gilmour as well as Damon Iddins and Andy Jackson at Astoria Studios.

The album features brand new artwork by long term album artwork provider Storm Thorgerson.

Feel free to post this news on your Facebook Page, or discuss it on our NPF Forum.

Order Your CD

To ensure that you get your copy of the CD, feel free to pre-order from the excellent Play.com today.

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by Damn!t »

[-D-]
Sceiron
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sceiron »

A Syd-Compilation without "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" is a half thing...
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I won't be buying it but at least they're doing something for the fans.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

lol at something for the fans. a compilation made up from 2 studio albums and few tracks with some added Gilmour licks on them? just when you think there can't be any more useless releases. i hope i'm wrong and Gilmour's makes some tracks a little more listenable.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Since when is an "introduction" to an artist from over 40 years ago for the fans? New fans maybe. Re-hashed versions ie. 2010 remixes of material all of which is already extant is not much better than a boxset unless those mixes shine some new light on the recordings which will be a huge stretch.

The poster mentioning Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream is actually not far off the mark. No doubt the producers of this compilation will say (debatably or not) that those tracks were not his creative best or are less important but I would say for a true insight into the artist's career one should be aware of these tracks.

What we have with this compilation is 'Nothing Special 2010'. 3 CDs worth of solo material and one CD with a band is not much for a new fan to explore is it, so why the need?

I've not looked where the money is going but I would say that is the only thing that could be good about this other than to promote Syd the artist to a new generation but is a tiresome 2010 re-hash the way to go about it?

There is however one positive from this and that is Storm's cover, because frankly I've felt for years now that he had been losing his touch and his stuff had become like a poor attempt at copying the old creative style. Unlike MLoR, DB and the Echoes compilation at least this cover - for me anyway - is up there with some of his classic work.
mandraxhair
Blade
Blade

Post by mandraxhair »

Hahaha something for the fans? He didn't exactly record much of quality, what do you expect? Maybe they could find a way to make bodies "Recompose" and they could convince him to write again.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Due to this album, could Syd's music be used for an advert?
23 tracks out of 4 albums, Jugband Blues and the early singles?
But still contains the unreleased "We knew of Syd Barrett before this CD introduced him to you!"
Lol kidding, moment blown to include VM and STLS.
I'm interested in seeing a tracklisting. I'll take it from there but my birthday is two days from it's release so it might come in use after all?...

EDIT: Am waiting for the tracklisting before commenting on Gilmour overdubs. Have put the album on my Facebook, thanks!

EDIT: Checked the tracklisting. No OPEL? Ok, no deal.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

We fans are a very ungrateful breed, arent we?
It's not good if they're not issuing material, it's not good if they're doing it, becouse they are milking us.... etc.

This is GOOD news. Ok? Why shouldt Gilmour do something like that?
I bet some of the earnings from that album will be used for that Syd's charity thing... escape artists or something.
That's also good... right?
If it's not good news for any of you, dont buy it. Simple as that.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

I agree with most of the comments. I have all three Barrett albums and I listen to 'The Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett' quite often and I'm dissapointed in the choice of tracks which have made it onto the 'Intro to Syd Barrett' album. I'm also dissapointed on the small amount of songs that have been remixed and how little work seems to have been put into it other than just a bunch of stuff re-released.

There are a lot of raw songs on all three albums for the reason I believe that they couldn't really get much out of Syd other than numerous attempts to record his guitar and vocal tracks and had to make do with what they had at the end of the day. Why songs like 'Effervescing Elephant' and 'Baby Lemonade' have made it in ahead of 'Rats' and 'Waving my hands in the air' is a bit of a puzzle to me. We have 'Chapter 24' and 'bike' from the Floyd albums which are still decent songs, but not half as good as the more professional sounding 'Jugband Blues' and the magical lyrics and ethereal 'See-Saw'.

I've always wondered how well Syd Barretts music would fare these days if someone took all of his material and done something special with it. I suppose David Gilmour is as good a guy as any and maybe I'm being a little too hasty before I've heard the album, but if it is indeed an introduction to Syd Barrett then I'm not too sure that there are enough people in the market that would be that interested in the nursery ryhmes of 'Eff Eleph' and such.

Perhaps a little more work on some of his greater songs?? Maybe the studio could have kept all Syds vocal tracks and re-recorded all of the instruments using Gilmour on the guitar and other Floyd musicians, in turn adding some great Gilmour solos and some Mason magic on the drums?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It would be nice if the rare songs mentioned in this thread were included on the album as they are, in my opinion, two of his best songs! Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream are excellent songs!!

It does seem like a re-hashing of two old albums and one wonders why this album is a good thing. But there could be a couple of good things that come about from this. Firstly, if the royalties are going to Rosemary's charity the Syd Barrett fund, then it would be nice if that were to help people out who are in need of help. Secondly, if this shiny new album gets more people into Syd Barrett's music, then that is a good thing also.

I think Syd's music from his solo days is quite "difficult" to get into. I think most of his songs are an "acquired taste" given some of the production and arrangements on the songs. I hope Mr Gilmour has added some of his modern pop-esque flavours to the 5 songs he has been tinkering with. I hope the other songs sound great now that they have been re-mixed on more modern equipment and with better mastering equipment.

I look forward to listening to it.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Didn't think or read of the charity side. That changes a lot!
Perhaps I can make the donation for the album seperate to the cause as oppose to buy stuff I've already got again, instead?
Sorry for offending.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'll probably get one.
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

Remasters and remixes are nice and all, but i feel like this is a missed opportunity. Would've been a perfect time to trot out Scream (nick mason vocals notwithstanding) and VM, or whatever else gilmour might be holding. But the track selection bothers me a bit---"she took a long etc" and "if it's in you" could be replaced by golden hair or long gone, which i think are far superior tracks.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Could be good. It looks a like it could be Opel.2.

I think Opel is a product of the time it was released. Syd's acoustic guitar has had chorus added and his vocals were processed.

I think a new album with more honest mixes, not "whoopee its psychedelia!!!111" mixes could be the way forwards here.

I might even buy that.