The British Pink Floyd Show

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

The British Pink Floyd Show

Post by drafsack »

Anyone going to see this??

At between £31 and £42 a ticket I think I'll give this a miss - for £30 more you could see Rog and HE wrote the stuff.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The British Pink Floyd Show

Post by Keith Jordan »

Not heard anything about it. A tribute band? Charging that much? Hahahahahahahaha!!
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

I'm not into cabaret acts. They must be taking the piss at that price
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I thought Australian Pink Floyd charged a tonne for their wares?
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Yeah they do ... last time they played here tickets were €45 - €49 !!! ... for €69 Im getting to see Rogers Wall show .. tribute bands really are taking the piss
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Australian Pink Floyd are taking the piss. They sound good and polished, but they don't sound like Pink Floyd. They sing completely differently, use different gear and generally fuck about. Its like they re a band too lazy to make their own music so they doctor Pink Floyd's and cash in on it. Gah.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

my breakfast. wrote:Australian Pink Floyd are taking the piss. They sound good and polished, but they don't sound like Pink Floyd. They sing completely differently, use different gear and generally fuck about. Its like they re a band too lazy to make their own music so they doctor Pink Floyd's and cash in on it. Gah.
Yeah, but wasn't that "Think Floyd"'s act?
Sorry if there are any members of Think Floyd in this forum btw... *stops digging hole*
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I must admit that I have never really been interested in seeing a PF cover band, let alone actually paying money for it...
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The only cover band I would see is Interstellar Factory. They are Italian, and they completely recreate the circa 1970/1971 Pink Floyd sound. Their version of Careful With That Axe Eugene borrows a lot from the 1972 Boeblingen version, complete with Pict rant and seagull guitar and stuff.... its astonishing what they do. I speak to their bassist sometimes and apparently they even have Farfisa gear now, which must be a first for tribute bands.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

my breakfast. wrote:The only cover band I would see is Interstellar Factory. They are Italian, and they completely recreate the circa 1970/1971 Pink Floyd sound.
Okay, that is interesting. Seems most of the cover bands I hear about do Material Largely from DSotM and beyond. Earlier stuff would be waaay more interesting, especially if the band does some unique improvising.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

nosaj wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:The only cover band I would see is Interstellar Factory. They are Italian, and they completely recreate the circa 1970/1971 Pink Floyd sound.
Okay, that is interesting. Seems most of the cover bands I hear about do Material Largely from DSotM and beyond. Earlier stuff would be waaay more interesting, especially if the band does some unique improvising.

They do seem to do their own thing. I saw a clip of them doing One Of These Days whereby the bassist broke out the violin bow!

Their bassist self-promoted the band on Yeeshkul by uploading their note-perfect cover of The Amazing Pudding and saying "what show is this from???". He had us... ahem... them all scratching their heads over the version. It was a really good version close to the KQED gig.
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

drafsack wrote:Anyone going to see this??
At between £31 and £42 a ticket I think I'll give this a miss - for £30 more you could see Rog and HE wrote the stuff.
Musically there is no difference between a great tribute band and Rog with his session players hired for a tour. Brit Floyd have access to exactly the same pool of talent that Rog does when he puts his band together. Floyd fans expect a huge show with graphics, animations, Mr Screen, lasers and a big light show. That costs a load of money and that's why the tickets are the price they are. Nobody is getting rich out of this.

I was going to see the Berlin Philharmonic later, but having read this thread I don't think I'll bother because Beethoven isn't in the band anymore. :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I believe venues have been duped into booking The British Pink Floyd show thinking they were getting the Australian Pink Floyd. I think one of their guitarists left the Aussie Floyd with the old promoter and started booking gigs!

Saying that, I imagine it will be a good show though. I think they should play the Echo Arena in Liverpool.
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

Keith Jordan wrote:I believe venues have been duped into booking The British Pink Floyd show thinking they were getting the Australian Pink Floyd. I think one of their guitarists left the Aussie Floyd with the old promoter and started booking gigs!

Saying that, I imagine it will be a good show though. I think they should play the Echo Arena in Liverpool.
Not exactly. The three Aussies dumped their management company/promoter, CMP. All but one of the remaining musicans (10 of them), the sound and lighting engineers, the graphics and animation team and the entire road crew jumped ship and formed The British Pink Floyd Show with CMP continuing in their management role. CMP was very clear with the venues about what they were getting, but did trade heavily on their Aussie Floyd background to establish their credentials.

TBPFS already has 2 shows booked at the Echo in Liverpool, along with a spring tour of other UK venues, The Isle of Wight Festival, finishing up at the London O2 Arena in August.

CMP's statement: 'The British Pink Floyd Show' - CMP Statement
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Which one left to form the BPFS? The smaller of the two singers/guitarists? One is a larger chap that does most of the singing I think. Has he stayed with the Aussies?