Rachel Fury

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Re: Rachel Fury

Post by Zarquon »

No one knows!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

She's in one of my drawers.

(Or was it the other way around?)
mags
Blade
Blade

Post by mags »

I've hired a bevy of investigators to solve this mystery. This is all they've turned up so far:
http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr ... rful_4.htm

I think I'm paying for a lot of free lunches at the present moment.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... eID=894715

There's Rachel Fury on tour in America with former Buzzcocks singer Howard Devoto in 1983. I wasnt sure it was her at first, but the gap in the teeth gave it away!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Zarquon wrote: I wasnt sure it was her at first, but the gap in the teeth gave it away!
Quite a useful facial characteristic, if you get my drift. :wink:
Banisters_Mind
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Banisters_Mind »

At the risk of resurrecting a really old thread I will apologize in advance. But go easy on my b/c this is my first time here and I'm kinda new at all this 'admitting that I have had a crush on Rachel Fury for the past 20 odd years'.

The photo you refer to above is this one (below)

I first sat up and took notice of Rachel Fury as a 14/15 year old back in 1989 when my father came home from the video store armed with a VHS version of the 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder' concert, complete with the girls wearing those totally HOT figure hugging dresses and the long gloves that were seriously sexy. From the moment I saw her, I was completely besotted and I have watched that concert over and over again in the proceeding years - countless times - just to indulge in the vision of Rachel and her performance. I thought her contribution to "Great Gig In The Sky" and her duet with David Gilmour on "Comfortably Numb" were hypnotic somehow and there was some footage of her during their performance of "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" that hooked me every time. I have to profess a screwy kind of love for this woman.

Why it was that I sort of forgot about her for 18 odd years after-wards is something only the universe can explain. I grew up, stepped out of my adolescent brain and became a cynical prick I guess. But my love for PF has never really waned over the years even though it had perhaps become somewhat dormant.

A few short weeks ago, I fished out David Gilmour's superb solo album "On An Island". I was in the mood for the atmospherics of that album and I was - of course - not at all disappointed. Listening to the sounds of Gilmour and Wright, Carin and Pratt - and Crosby and Nash's contributions - something was touched off in me, an almost long forgotten memory of that beautiful woman from so long ago.

For years I had (erroneously) deduced that her name was in fact Margaret Taylor. It seemed to fit with her - she looked like a Margaret to me. But once I jumped on the interweb a few days ago and began searching I around, I quickly realized what we all know here. The information on her is sparse as to be almost non existent. But after a few hours of dicking around on Google and others this is what I have come up with...

Rachel Fury is (or was) a session singer who first appeared on the radar in the very early 1980's. The only evidence of this comes by way of this myspace image for the profile of British guitarist Alan St.Clair who was a noted musician in the punk and new wave movements at that time. One might surmise that Rachel Fury toured regularly with St.Clair and his colleague Howard Devoto (of Buzzcocks and Magazine fame) but this would need to be confirmed.

The next significant snippet of information comes from some information on the noted music producer, James Guthrie, who it appears, introduced Rachel Fury to Pink Floyd in or around the mid 1980's. She and Guthrie were in a relationship at the time. Fury's talent as a session singer must have impressed the band members significantly because she is credited as a singer on the reimagined Pink Floyd's 1987 album "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" and was contracted to tour with the band for the world beating "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" tour between 1987 and 1989.

From what I have read on various message boards, there is some suggestion that there may have been some sort of romantic interlude between David Gilmour and Rachel Fury during the 87-89 tour. Various posters refer to concert footage suggesting an "innate" chemistry between the two on stage. Again, however, I read this as perhaps drawing a very long bow though I stand to be corrected here - quite happily (???).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfc92xm7RE

It is after the successful DSOT tour that Rachel Fury all but drops of the precipice into a swirling black hole of ... well ... nothing. The only singer from that trio from the DSOT tour to continue with PF is Durga McBroom (who is credited on "The Division Bell" album and appears in the "P*U*L*S*E" line-up.

The last snippet of any significance that I can find is a mention that by 1995, Rachel Fury had given up singing altogether and had become involved in the animal rights movement.

But this is not the last thing.

Drilling a little deeper, I have unearthed an additional snippet that confirms something I wondered about for a long time - that Rachel Fury was not actually her real name. Over this past weekend, I have some evidence that confirms this. Again, from some other message board sources I have found that her name is (or was) actually Rachel Brannock. There is a Facebook page titled "All Things Brannock" - evidently a page dedicated to the Brannock family. Clearly visible on the Left hand sidebar of the page under pictures, a picture of the very Rachel (Fury) Brannock that has haunted my thoughts these past fews days.

Who knows if this is all true or not. But I would like to think that there is still some hope that Rachel might surface one day. Perhaps she is living on ... I dunno ... Guernsey perhaps? Happily married with a couple of kids, still looking pretty damned hot and running a successful vet practice ... perhaps. One morning she opens her laptop while sipping her coffee and indulges in that little thing that I'm sure we've all done in the recent past and Googled herself. She might see this and decide to respond....?

Either that or she's dead, a hippie who renounces all forms of modern technology or she's just not that into all this worship...

*sigh*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OyPr6ulcw
Last edited by Banisters_Mind on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banisters_Mind
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Banisters_Mind »

My search for anything related to Rachel Fury (Brannock) has become a little screwy now. Below is a screen cap of Durga McBroom and Rachel Fury during their performance of "Learning To Fly" during Pink Floyd's 1989 Venice, Italy concert. Note that Rachel has grown out her lovely raven hair and the girls are wearing pink in contrast to the black we have all come to know and love

And just because I can't resist, here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVZl8iIZEKw

Meanwhile...the search goes on...

:cry:
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Banisters_Mind wrote: Meanwhile...the search goes on...
:cry:
Let me know if you have any luck. :wink:
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

Banisters_Mind wrote:At the risk of resurrecting a really old thread I will apologize in advance. But go easy on my b/c this is my first time here and I'm kinda new at all this 'admitting that I have had a crush on Rachel Fury for the past 20 odd years'.

I first sat up and took notice of Rachel Fury as a 14/15 year old back in 1989 when my father came home from the video store armed with a VHS version of the 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder' concert, complete with the girls wearing those totally HOT figure hugging dresses and the long gloves that were seriously sexy. From the moment I saw her, I was completely besotted and...
First off guys, let me clarify that this is actually another user here, not my other user account like oz1701 does with 'kellyclarks9n'. :lol: The reason why I had to put this disclaimer here is that: I also have/had a huge thing for Rachel Fury! I actually thought I was the only one here who likes her. :) You were 14/15 at the time. Well during the actual tour, I was at the young age of 7-9! I didn't however become a fan until late 1990 (hence my username), at the age of 10. I had the cassette version of "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" halfway through 1991 and the VHS later on, both at the age of 11. The cassette version had just one photo of the three singers, I do believe; but I also liked Rachel Fury the first I saw her on the VHS! She was hot with the body-hugging outfit and that gorgeous long black hair! She looked great in the outfit especially the purple one that is strapless and skirt being so darn short shown last in my post here!!! <ii> \:D/ I was only 11 at the time so it was probably a 'puppy love crush'.
Banisters_Mind wrote:For years I had (erroneously) deduced that her name was in fact Margaret Taylor. It seemed to fit with her - she looked like a Margaret to me. The information on her is sparse as to be almost non existent. But after a few hours of dicking around on Google and others this is what I have come up with...
Me too!! I had thought for a long time that she was Margret and the other one was Rachel! After a while of Google searching and finding out her true name (including it being last-named Brannock) and checking out only a few photos, I re-developed my crush on her. This time the crush is proper as I was then an adult (mid-20s and I'm now nearing 31) then and still like her. :)
Banisters_Mind wrote:From what I have read on various message boards, there is some suggestion that there may have been some sort of romantic interlude between David Gilmour and Rachel Fury during the 87-89 tour. Various posters refer to concert footage suggesting an "innate" chemistry between the two on stage. Again, however, I read this as perhaps drawing a very long bow though I stand to be corrected here - quite happily (???).

It is after the successful DSOT tour that Rachel Fury all but drops of the precipice into a swirling black hole of ... well ... nothing. The only singer from that trio from the DSOT tour to continue with PF is Durga McBroom (who is credited on "The Division Bell" album and appears in the "P*U*L*S*E" line-up.

But I would like to think that there is still some hope that Rachel might surface one day. Perhaps she is living on ... I dunno ... Guernsey perhaps? Happily married with a couple of kids, still looking pretty damned hot and running a successful vet practice ... perhaps. One morning she opens her laptop while sipping her coffee and indulges in that little thing that I'm sure we've all done in the recent past and Googled herself. She might see this and decide to respond....?

Either that or she's dead, a hippie who renounces all forms of modern technology or she's just not that into all this worship...

*sigh*
I've also heard the rumors of the Gilmour and Fury connection. It might just be like you said: a good professional working chemistry or perhaps an actual affair as Gilmour had an interview some years back revealing his cocaine habit at the same tour and admitted to having affairs with many women.
Banisters_Mind wrote:Image
This was a photo you posted to answer someone else's question. The chick in the photo looks like her as she looks cute. I only wish she had been wearing a nice skirt in the photo. :)
Banisters_Mind wrote:Image
This is the photo I mentioned above of Rachel's hotness in the strapless/short skirt outfit. :)

I like the part at 1:20-1:38 during "The Great Gig In The Sky" clip you posted where it shows Rachel singing in the tight tank top. :)

Check out Rachel's sexy dancing at 1:49-1:53 and singing at 4:28-4:30 on "One Slip" shown here. For some reason, YouTube isn't allowing me to embed the link or it's that I can't figure it out, so you'll just have to click on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdZJzPM_ ... r_embedded
lilygirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lilygirl »

I would also like to know where my old friend Margret Taylor is. Name is now Machun. The last I saw her was when she was with Hiroshima in 1989. We were friends in the 1970's when her band Grover, Margret and ZaZuZazz played scat music at our club in North New Jersey. And you knew she was headed for good things. Last heard she is married and lives in LA.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

in the official concert video, the camera definitely favours her over the other two ladies, even over some of the musicians, gratuitously focussing on her moving in slomo again and again when she isnt even singing
the other two ladies are lucky to even get a few frames during their Great Gig solos
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

I remember back then 80's when i was teenager, i did adore her. Live In Venice and Delicate sound of Thunder VHS...and now Atlanta DVD makes me love her even more! Miss her :smt057
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

lilygirl wrote:I would also like to know where my old friend Margret Taylor is. Name is now Machun. The last I saw her was when she was with Hiroshima in 1989. We were friends in the 1970's when her band Grover, Margret and ZaZuZazz played scat music at our club in North New Jersey. And you knew she was headed for good things. Last heard she is married and lives in LA.
Here is the link to Machan's website.

http://www.geishagirlmusic.com/geisha_girl_tshirt.html
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

Going on the Howard DeVoto link, is it safe to say that the female singer in this clip is Fury?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEpsnRTPwk
lapseofreason
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lapseofreason »

I'm going to have to second Rachel being in that video. What an awesome find. Oh, and the picture, too. :drools:
I would also like to add myself to the list of still being completely obsessed with Rachel. :) It's weird that absolutely no-one knows where she is, not even the band members.