Re: Pink Floyd The Wall Live 1980 DVD?

Post by Damn!t »

How this phrase sounds weird translated on english. :lol:
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

Hudini wrote:I'm afraid I haven't asked you anything.
It is public forum.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

snifferdog wrote:Berlin 1990. Yawn.
My sentiments exactly!
:lol:
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

The footage of the original 'The Wall' shows, found on YouTube, looks bad. It mostly is too dark. I doubt that it ever can be upgraded for an official release. I thought Pink Floyd was just making up excuses to keep it in the vault, but after seeing the YouTube material I'm convinced the material is bad.
Amazing that some great, expensive, theatrical shows were never properly filmed. Another example is Genesis's 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway', of which only some excerpts exist.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Wolfpack wrote: The footage of the original 'The Wall' shows, found on YouTube, looks bad.
That is correct.
However, the footage Rog showed when he was announcing this tour looks very promising. Theres alot of digital trickery that can be used to enhance the quality. I think that theres been alot of additional cameras that shot these gigs in New York and London and that we saw 10% of it, transferred from some crappy vhs tape.
Rog is aware of the demand the fans have for this material and it's a great chance that it'll see the light of day sometime soon as a part of this wall mania thats been going on recently.
If that day comes, my loudspeakers will have to retire after that.
I'm getting a boner just thinking of that. :lol:
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Damn!t wrote:However, the footage Rog showed when he was announcing this tour looks very promising.
Some of the YouTube material also looks promising, containing enough light. But most of it is very dark. So, I wonder if Waters just showed those best bits. (I haven't seen what footage he showed.)

Most of the footage on YouTube is so dark, that it irritated me. Were those cameramen sleeping? At one point, just before 'Run Like Hell', Waters talks about the flying pig. Only during a short flash light, as from a photo camera, I could see the pig. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I wish we had footage that dark for the In The Flesh, 74 Winter and DSoTM tours! ;)

Damn!t wrote:Theres alot of digital trickery that can be used to enhance the quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PnWZRWrHI

I think Rog is going to need the help of Pixar if he wants to fix the above clip! Particulary the Empty Spaces reprise! Or perhaps darkness was a crucial element in the original Wall shows? Check out around the 3:00 minute mark, it looks like a total black out, with some UFO hovering up there!
Last edited by danielcaux on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

my recollection is there was two attempts to film The Wall and that the bulk of whats on the commonly circulating bootleg is from the 1st attempt
that the final round of concerts in London in 1981 were to make a concert film that ultimately got replaced by the Parker film as we know it
and theres better footage from these concerts that has only shown up in small fragments in documentaries
and that Harvested edited what footage there is from these documentary sources into the commonly circulating bootleg to produce the Divided We Fall dvd

specifically theres footage showing the musicians behind the wall during Hey You, with the camera then rising up and over the wall to look out towards the audience
this replaced the original Hey You footage that Id previously seen, which was simply a camera pointed at the face of the completed wall for 5 minutes

all this is to suggest that the dark footage that is on YouTube is probably not from the same source Waters is talking about using for his supposed official release ... theres still footage we have not seen
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

danielcaux wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PnWZRWrHI
Lads, dont look at those 2nd/3rd generation vhs transfer tapes.
I think our Rog has some far better material locked away.
If you discard the obvious "artistic" monochrome filter over this whole clip, you could clearly see that the picture quality is sharp and basically amazing.
And that there are more camera angles then in the clips from harvested or any other release...
This is what I whas thinking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYrAqAZfjs
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Greedy old geezer! :evil:

That doesn't mean I'm not going to see him for the third time though... :D
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Are there really plans to release a DVD of the Pink Floyd live performances of The Wall? Or is it just wishful thinking?

Looking at the footage, I think the show looks less impressive than Water's open air show in Berlin. And I guess it will also look less impressive than his current live performances of The Wall.
Looking at the YouTube footage, I think the wall there isn't very neatly built. The bricks are not very neatly placed on each other. I think it looks just like wall of white cardboard boxes (or whatever the material is). In comparison to today's standards, that wall looks a bit simple.

Pink Floyd may sound better than Water's solo efforts, but that can be heard on the Pink Floyd live 2CD 'Is There Anybody Out There'.

And why would there be three different DVD releases of basically the same show?
- Pink Floyd's The Wall
- Roger Water's The Wall in Berlin
- Roger Water's The Wall of today*

* I guess a release of today's The Wall is more likely than polishing old footage of a basic, old-fashioned The Wall. If only because it's cheaper to just tape a new show.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

why would there be three different DVD releases of basically the same show?
because as part of the 1987 settlement Roger owns all rights to The Wall
but you probably dont need to worry, Roger never seems to get around to releasing anything these days
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

J Ed wrote:
why would there be three different DVD releases of basically the same show?
because as part of the 1987 settlement Roger owns all rights to The Wall
Except from ABITW part 2 being the only hit single from the album and the three songs cowritten by Gilmour. But that's disputable since "Hey You" appeared on "P.U.L.S.E"...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:And why would there be three different DVD releases of basically the same show?
- Pink Floyd's The Wall
- Roger Water's The Wall in Berlin
- Roger Water's The Wall of today
Historical significance? I think each of these versions of the show mark a major event in Pink Floyd/Roger Waters' artistic career; and of all the three, the 80/81 shows were the most important in terms of the history of rock concerts. So that's a pretty good reason for releasing them. They may not be as astonishing for our XXI century modern eyes now, but they certainly were the most impressive and mind blowing rock shows that had been done at the time.

Let's imagine than someday someone finds a complete professional film recording of a DSoTM concert in 1973. Should Pink Floyd abstain from release it commercially because they already cover all those songs live on PULSE?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Using the strength of the Harvested clips to critique the possibility of a new 1980 Wall DVD is a bit weak. Even though Harvested have the best gear at their modest disposal to clean up tapes they were still working off some nth generation VHS tape culled from what was probably only a few camera angles. Whoever secreted that VHS off into the night did not make off with all the available stuff. I've never had the stomach to watch all the Harvested stuff, but it lacks a lot of the camera angles seen in that Waters interview (and other things I've seen which dredge up the old Wall footage).