Nick Mason - Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
3%
26%
26%
16%
1 - Worst
29%

Total votes: 31

apple
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Nick Mason - Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports

Post by apple »

Though it is not my favorite album, I do like it. When I got the LP in late eightees, it didnt sound too much like a solo album by a member of Pink Floyd, but it was still an interesting piece of music. Later got it on a CD-R from my friend because EMI didn't bother to release it officially. Sometimes I listen to the album, when I have strange moods :D. Especially I like the last song "I'm A Mineralist", which has a nice sad feeling and I like Wyatts way of singing. And yes, the drums are like Pink Floyd drums, that almost minimalistic approach of Mr. Nick Mason I like too.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I gave it a four. I originally had an official cassette copy of the album, but then about 14 years ago managed to get a CD copy (once again, official).

Obviously "Ficticious Sports" doesn't have a huge connection with Pink Floyd, but I enjoy listening to it nonetheless. The lyrics are so bad that they are actually pretty good, "I'm A Mineralist" being one of the best.

The instrumentation is also very good, with some nice jazz bass playing, and even a Gilmour-ish guitar solo on "Hot River".

If Nick put out another album like this, I would happily buy it, although not at those Amazon prices! Unfortunately, he seems to have lost all interest in music these days, preferring to work on his motor racing carbon footprint instead. Looks like he managed to get his motor to start after all :(
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

I bought the vinyl back in the 80's. Barely ever listened to this album - maybe twice. Sold it within a year. I did not like it at the time. I wonder how I would like it now?
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

I wonder why Nicks album "Profiles" isn't included here in "Pink Floyd and Solo Discography" as well?
Why only "Fictitious Sports"?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Keef might have forgotten about it. This section is relatively new, a couple of months ago there were just about 10 topics opened.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

if Keef were to add Profiles Id request he also add the Tonite Lets All Make Love in London soundtrack and the When the Wind Blows soundtrack as theyre both worthy of discussion
perhaps also Live in Pompeii, even though everthang else is audio releases only Pompeii is an essential official release all selfrespecting Floydians should be familiar with

re the album in question, its misleadingly credited, as its really Carla Bley and friends
Carla Bley is a wellknown figure in avantgarde jazz, I wonder how many Carla Bley fans missed out on this album cuz they had no interest in Pink Floyd solo albums?
that understood, its an interesting listen, different than the usual floydian sounds
and a good dose of Robert Wyatt, who didnt do that many albums between 1975 and the early 90s
Profiles on the other hand is a genuine snoooz, even the song with the Dave vocal
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Nick Mason's Watersports... 2 hours of liberated home VHS of Nick Mason comitting foul acts.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

J Ed wrote:if Keef were to add Profiles Id request he also add the Tonite Lets All Make Love in London soundtrack and the When the Wind Blows soundtrack as theyre both worthy of discussion
perhaps also Live in Pompeii
And maybe Zabriskie Point too.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

J Ed wrote:Profiles on the other hand is a genuine snoooz, even the song with the Dave vocal
I'd say that song with Dave on vocals is among the worst on the album.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

I bought "Fictitious Sports" and "Profiles" together at a Pittsburgh record fair a couple years ago... I played "Fictitious Sports" for maybe 10 minutes tops before I screamed and turned it off. It's just that bad.

"Profiles" is a nice Pink Floyd-y album... "Lie For A Lie" wouldn't sound out of place on AMLOR, really.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I been listening to this one recently
I think its worthy of close listening cuz there seems to be a lot going on with the different instruments, lots of noodly interplay
and I note Nick actually is central to most of the songs, even though we keep saying its "not reallly a Nick solo album", the various instruments are doing lots of little staccato blips, playing off of Nicks rather steady drum parts (which are mixed right in the middle of the stereo spectum)
theres less of the melodramatic drumrolls we're used to from Floyd albums, he seems to be playing in a different style
has anybody heard Carla Bleys other albums? Ive not, but I know something called Escalator Over the Hill is her most famous one, which I gather is a tripleLP concept album
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

I tried to give "Fictitious Sports" another go on the turntable... needless to say, I gave it to the CD/LP trade-in store the next day. Absolute crap.

On the way there, I was reading the lyrics insert in the car... so, "I'm A Mineralist" was about, like, a guy sexually attracted to minerals? What the hell?
Scott M2
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Scott M2 »

TheLazenby wrote:I tried to give "Fictitious Sports" another go on the turntable... needless to say, I gave it to the CD/LP trade-in store the next day. Absolute crap.

On the way there, I was reading the lyrics insert in the car... so, "I'm A Mineralist" was about, like, a guy sexually attracted to minerals? What the hell?
It's a Philip Glass parody.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Scott M2 wrote:
TheLazenby wrote:I tried to give "Fictitious Sports" another go on the turntable... needless to say, I gave it to the CD/LP trade-in store the next day. Absolute crap.

It's a Philip Glass parody.
it's also an awesome song.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Good song. It reminds me of the "Shadow of The Comet" game soundtrack. Great atmospheric game.