The British Pink Floyd Show

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Re: The British Pink Floyd Show

Post by NickC4555 »

Keith Jordan wrote:Which one left to form the BPFS? The smaller of the two singers/guitarists? One is a larger chap that does most of the singing I think. Has he stayed with the Aussies?
10 of the musicians left, but the one that was a director and shareholder of TAPFS is Damian Darlington, the guitar player that also does a lot of the vocals and all of the stunt solos.
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

The British Pink Floyd Show website went live today. Tour dates, band lineup, blog, forum, photos, videos.

The British Pink Floyd Show
kenpink
Axe
Axe

Post by kenpink »

first of all, to all the moaners on here who begrudge paying the price to see a tribute band, these guys dont just play on a stage they put on an experience as close to floyd you will probably ever get,having seen the real floyd on numerous occasions, my thirst for the show and music that the real floyd put on never dies and i love what these guys do
my only moan on here now is cant seem to get an answer about whats happening

being a regular 10 years at liverpool and couple of times manchster whats gonna happen now to the ausie floyd playing liverpool,as british floyd are allready booked for the prime dates that the ausies always did

and with the promise of a 3 d show being put on by the ausies .will they ever play liverpool again?

strange really came back from seeing avatar in 3 d and my thought was on the idea of seeing a floyd concert in 3d and before i knew it the ausies had come up with it
so any ideas on this
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

kenpink wrote: so any ideas on this
There are quite a few ideas about it here in a topic started by Bryan Kolupski, Aussie Floyd's animator and graphic designer for the last few years, now with BritFloyd: Stereographic 3D - Personal Observations
DrFloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrFloyd »

NickC4555 wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:I believe venues have been duped into booking The British Pink Floyd show thinking they were getting the Australian Pink Floyd. I think one of their guitarists left the Aussie Floyd with the old promoter and started booking gigs!

Saying that, I imagine it will be a good show though. I think they should play the Echo Arena in Liverpool.
Not exactly. The three Aussies dumped their management company/promoter, CMP. All but one of the remaining musicans (10 of them), the sound and lighting engineers, the graphics and animation team and the entire road crew jumped ship and formed The British Pink Floyd Show with CMP continuing in their management role. CMP was very clear with the venues about what they were getting, but did trade heavily on their Aussie Floyd background to establish their credentials.

TBPFS already has 2 shows booked at the Echo in Liverpool, along with a spring tour of other UK venues, The Isle of Wight Festival, finishing up at the London O2 Arena in August.

CMP's statement: 'The British Pink Floyd Show' - CMP Statement
This is not true, its just spin from CMP.
How can they say that the entire road crew jumped ship? Crew are crew and do every bit of work going. Its not important!
The lights and sound (including the people that take them on the road) are rented!
How can they say the sound and lighting engineers jumped ship when the one and only Colin Norfield (from Pink Floyd) continues to work with the Aussies as their sound engineer?
It seams to me that all the people that are good are again working with the Aussies now! Even the old Sax player is back after a 2 year break and also are the Backing Singers.

Its pretty obvious what happened here don't you think? CMP lost their main act and has put together some session musicians (yes the backing singers are session musicians) with an British guy (Damian) and claimed it is the same band. It's that simply!
NickC4555
Axe
Axe

Post by NickC4555 »

DrFloyd wrote:This is not true, its just spin from CMP.
How can they say that the entire road crew jumped ship? Crew are crew and do every bit of work going. Its not important!
The lights and sound (including the people that take them on the road) are rented!
How can they say the sound and lighting engineers jumped ship when the one and only Colin Norfield (from Pink Floyd) continues to work with the Aussies as their sound engineer?
It seams to me that all the people that are good are again working with the Aussies now! Even the old Sax player is back after a 2 year break and also are the Backing Singers.

Its pretty obvious what happened here don't you think? CMP lost their main act and has put together some session musicians (yes the backing singers are session musicians) with an British guy (Damian) and claimed it is the same band. It's that simply!
The lighting and sound equipment are rented, but the Aussies had their own sound and lighting crew, who have now joined BritFloyd. Colin Norfield has rejoined the Aussies but he hasn't worked with them for a number of years. Gareth Darlington has been responsible for their stunning live sound since 2005. He has also mastered all of their live CDs and DVDs.

Mike Kidson has rejoined the Aussies to replace their current sax player, Carl Brunsdon, who has joined BritFloyd along with all of the backing singers. Bianca Glynn has rejoined as a BV, but again, she hasn't been with them for years.

In summary, the only people left in the Aussies from the lineup and crew that have been with them in their recent history are the three remaining partners in the band (Steve Mac, Jason Sawford, Colin Wilson) and Paul Bonney, the drummer, who is hired as a session musician on a tour by tour basis. BritFloyd is the exact same lineup that has toured North America as The Australian Pink Floyd Show for the last 2 years, so they are hardly "some session musicians", even if they are, as they were in TAPFS, hired on that basis.
filthyfish
Blade
Blade

Post by filthyfish »

So the Aussie rejects then? For me the music is everything, I dont care much for graphics and lights. No matter how good the musicians, you cannot recreate the vibe between session players that you can with a band that has played together for years.
ashbin
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ashbin »

Just got back from seeing Brit Floyd in Bristol and they were great,but once they loosen up they were absolutely brilliant, a must to go and see.