Rhamadam - How good is it ?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Rhamadam - How good is it ?

Post by pinksmile »

I was wondering how good Rhamadam is, as i have not been able to purchase the album yet to download it ?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Rhamadam - How good is it ?

Post by my breakfast. »

IMHO if it was not linked to Syd most people would say it was a shitty unfocused jam of half-assed musicians.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Has anyone been able to listen to it yet?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I would have had the albums on Friday had I been in when the postman was delivering them!!! Now I will have to wait until tomorrow for the enjoyment to commence. 8)

Bob Dylan Blues. A fine song!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Lanky Pt 2, aka Rhamadan off the Malcolm Jones tape just appeared on a torrent on You know where.
larstangmark
Embryo
Embryo

Post by larstangmark »

I't's much better than I thought it would be.
Whoever they players were they were really good improvisers. I imagined it to be unlistenable! Now it feels really weird that they released Lanky instead of this.
The first half is the best and toward the end it gets kind of uninspired.
The motorbike noises work a treat and sorts of wakes you up in the middle of the song.
I have to mention the bass-player. It has to be a "name" bass player from back then. Either someone like Jack Bruce or some jazz player.
Lars T
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

larstangmark wrote:The motorbike noises work a treat and sorts of wakes you up in the middle of the song.
Motorbike noises? They were not overdubbed in 1969, were they? Could this 'Rhamadan' be a recent mix, in which they threw in the noises half-way just to wake up the audience? Is there any indication that Barrett wanted the mix to be that way?
larstangmark wrote:I have to mention the bass-player. It has to be a "name" bass player from back then. Either someone like Jack Bruce or some jazz player.
Could it be the same bass player as the one in Swan Lee?
larstangmark
Embryo
Embryo

Post by larstangmark »

If the motorbike noises were added or applied especially for this project then that would be scandalous and most depressing! Now that I get to think of it the description in that book (Parker?) from the guy who had heard was that it didn't include any motorbike noises. I sure hope some details surface about who did the Rhamadan mix and exactly how it was done.

It is indeed the same bass player that you heard on Swan Lee. But Rhamadan is much more "steady" rhythmically than Swan Lee, so it sounds much better.

Lars T
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

larstangmark wrote:The motorbike noises work a treat and sorts of wakes you up in the middle of the song.
larstangmark wrote:If the motorbike noises were added or applied especially for this project then that would be scandalous and most depressing!
You liked what you heard, didn't you? Wouldn't the mix be boring if they were excluded? All I remember reading is that Barrett wanted motorbike noises in the mix, but that it's not known where and how he wanted them. However, a release of 'Rhamadan' without any motorbike noises would be against his intentions and be "scandalous and most depressing" in its own way. ;)
larstangmark
Embryo
Embryo

Post by larstangmark »

Hehe...depends on your point of view. I like the track, but I can't help but viewing this as archeology. I want to know exactly what was on that tape (and what wasn't). I'm sure Syd would have added more instruments to a track like "Opel" too had he decided to go further with it.
Lars T
Wolfpack wrote:
larstangmark wrote: You liked what you heard, didn't you? Wouldn't the mix be boring if they were excluded? All I remember reading is that Barrett wanted motorbike noises in the mix, but that it's not known where and how he wanted them. However, a release of 'Rhamadan' without any motorbike noises would be against his intentions and be "scandalous and most depressing" in its own way. ;)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

larstangmark wrote:I have to mention the bass-player. It has to be a "name" bass player from back then. Either someone like Jack Bruce or some jazz player.
Dangerous assumption. The bassist on Swan Lee could be anybody with guitar skills. I'm hearing heavy pick technique on flatwound strings (maybe a Fender Mustang would be my guess for instrument) into the amp then hitting the studio compressors. Really common approach to bass, but Bruce had a fuzzed out tone back then and rarely used a plectrum.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

my breakfast. wrote:Lanky Pt 2, aka Rhamadan off the Malcolm Jones tape just appeared on a torrent.
But is that the same 20 minute track they are going to release via itunes? Or it's the 7 minutes long Lanky Part 2?

Edit: Just listened to it. It's not Rhamadam, just the same "Lanky 2" 1:30 clip we were discussing in the other thread a couple weeks ago.
Last edited by danielcaux on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Lanky Pt 2, and its just 7 (shitty) minutes. I wonder what the download is, and how processed or otherwise it is. People are pissed its in a horribly low mp3 bitrate though. I tried to download it earlier but the site was rubbish.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Personally I do not see any appeal in Rhamadan. It is just noise to me. However, the rest of the album is excellent. 8)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

my breakfast. wrote:Lanky Pt 2, and its just 7 (shitty) minutes.
Guess I downloaded the wrong torrent then. Is not "I Want To Tell You a Story"? Because that one has a Malcom Jones tape reel with "Lanky Pt. 2" on it, but it only last 1:30 minutes. :-k

And Keith were did you hear "Rhamadan"? Did you bought the album on itunes?