David Gilmour New Material with Dr Alex Patterson of The Orb

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: David Gilmour New Material with Dr Alex Patterson of The

Post by oz1701 »

after listening to it in its entirety and knowing David Gilmour's notoriety i will hereby give my blow by blow review of disc 1.

caution this may contain spoilers so for those of you who don't wish to ruin their listening experience i say do not read on.

its okay.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

oz1701 wrote:after listening to it in its entirety and knowing David Gilmour's notoriety i will hereby give my blow by blow review of disc 1.

caution this may contain spoilers so for those of you who don't wish to ruin their listening experience i say do not read on.

its okay.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

stay tuned for my review of disc 2. :lol:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

oz1701 wrote:stay tuned for my review of disc 2. :lol:
:lol:

I shall set aside an hour in my busy schedule.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

would like to give you my review of disc 2 after listening to it in its entirety however i couldn't stand to listen to more than 10 hours of it.( it might have been ten minutes but it seemed much longer.)

its the same as disc 1 if disc 1 was recorded from the inside of a sewer pipe.

if you want to get a 3d experience listen to side 2 of Aqua by Edgar Froese - NGC 891. on headphones.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Well, in that case, I feel vindicated in my decision to just buy the single disc edition.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Mine has only just arrived. I look forward to my head spinning around 360º just like yer wan in The Exorcist
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

snifferdog wrote:Mine has only just arrived. I look forward to my head spinning around 360º just like yer wan in The Exorcist
I hope you found my gif, I feel it is essential viewing whilst listening to the album.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

snifferdog wrote:Mine has only just arrived. I look forward to my head spinning around 360º just like yer wan in The Exorcist

im interested to see what you think of the 360 version - do post your thoughts Bren.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

My neck is a bit sore from all that 360º turning :lol: I like it though - it's a grower. I don't think it will appeal to people who don't like the sort of ambienty stuff that they do because as has been pointed out, it's an Orb record that happens to have David Gilmour's guitars wafting all over it. It's a soundscape that chugs along nicely for want of a better description.

As for the 3D60 version, I have noticed a bit of a difference. The sound travels around more if that makes any sense. Not all the way through but in certain parts.

It's never going to go down in the annals as a classic album or anything like that but I like that it exists. Perhaps it might spur DG on to make more music and perhaps work with different people. Get out of his comfort zone. I'm not expecting him to become innovative at this stage of his life but I would like him to get away from writing sleepy songs which are nowt more than a vehicle for him to drape The Big Guitar Solo around.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

snifferdog wrote:My neck is a bit sore from all that 360º turning :lol: I like it though - it's a grower. I don't think it will appeal to people who don't like the sort of ambienty stuff that they do because as has been pointed out, it's an Orb record that happens to have David Gilmour's guitars wafting all over it. It's a soundscape that chugs along nicely for want of a better description.

As for the 3D60 version, I have noticed a bit of a difference. The sound travels around more if that makes any sense. Not all the way through but in certain parts.

It's never going to go down in the annals as a classic album or anything like that but I like that it exists. Perhaps it might spur DG on to make more music and perhaps work with different people. Get out of his comfort zone. I'm not expecting him to become innovative at this stage of his life but I would like him to get away from writing sleepy songs which are nowt more than a vehicle for him to drape The Big Guitar Solo around.
Fortunately I agree with pretty much all of that as it saves on the typing.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

And here is the animated gif so that you can nod in time to the music.

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

:lol: Still works great for me, especially from about 3 minutes into track 1 disc 2.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

snifferdog wrote:My neck is a bit sore from all that 360º turning :lol: I like it though - it's a grower. I don't think it will appeal to people who don't like the sort of ambienty stuff that they do because as has been pointed out, it's an Orb record that happens to have David Gilmour's guitars wafting all over it. It's a soundscape that chugs along nicely for want of a better description.

i got no problem with what you say about DG - just didnt feel the 3D60 version did anything exciting for me
dszabi
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dszabi »

Does anyone have the vinyl version of Metallic Spheres?

The cover says that it should include a webpass to download bonus material, but I just cannot find the code anywhere in the package. Where should this code be? I have already returned a copy back to amazon and I received a replacement, but still cannot find this webpass anywhere. Should I return again?

Please, owners of the vinyl, help me!