Syd at Isle of Wight Festival '69

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Syd at Isle of Wight Festival '69

Post by sanpaku »

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is old news, I'm not a frequent poster...

When I first saw this article I thought this was surreal because neither the photographer nor the publisher seemed to know that the man in front of that "invalid's car" was Syd Barrett, the co-founder and recently dismissed member of Pink Floyd, actually recently replaced by the guy depicted just below at the "modest VIP area" of the festival...

This is from Word Magazine, June 2004 issue and the photos were shot by David Hurn, the famous British photographer from Magnum Photos:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MA ... N32016.jpg

http://www.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MA ... N33582.jpg

He happens to be exposing his photos at Third Floor Gallery at 102 Bute St. Cardiff CF10 5AD, Wales.

The Upcoming Exhibition
Passing Time by David Hurn
19 November 2010 - 9 January 2011
The Opening night preview: Thursday, 18 November 2010, 7pm.

David Hurn will attend to autograph books and photos. If someone lives nearby, it would be interesting to ask him if he has any other photographs from that day that he thought it was not worth publishing...

I would love to go, his photographs are amazing, if only I didn't live in Brazil...
brokentiny
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Syd at Isle of Wight Festival '69

Post by brokentiny »

Eerie image...sure looks like him, though for 1969 he looks pretty slick compared to some of the other images I've seen from that time, where he seemed to be pretty dishevelled, but I I guess we all have good and bad hair/clothes days.

It's kind of like that mysterious bit of footage of the gangly figure walking through the crowd at a festival walking away from the camera that's allegedly Nick Drake...though this Barrett image is a lot more convincing.
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sanpaku »

It is Syd. The girl next to him, Margaretta Barclay (Gretta) has confirmed that. http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/cat_gretta.html
brokentiny
Embryo
Embryo

Post by brokentiny »

sanpaku wrote:It is Syd. The girl next to him, Margaretta Barclay (Gretta) has confirmed that. http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/cat_gretta.html
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was doubting. It's so odd to see him there like that, well dressed and groomed and kinda going unrecognised.
Eerie somehow.
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sanpaku »

brokentiny wrote:
sanpaku wrote:It is Syd. The girl next to him, Margaretta Barclay (Gretta) has confirmed that. http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/cat_gretta.html
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was doubting. It's so odd to see him there like that, well dressed and groomed and kinda going unrecognised.
Eerie somehow.
I know that, no need for sorry! :) I just wanted to add more info, because, as you said, it's so odd that nobody recognized him at the time and even now, you know, neither the Word Magazine guys who published this in 2004, nor the photographer David Hurn knew this was Syd (and I bet he still doesn't know now).
You can imagine how Syd was feeling... :cry:
tebrookes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tebrookes »

Nice find.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Nice find.
Nice find on the Syd pic or the nipple shot?
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

I am not sure, but do we assume that Barrett and Gilmour attended the 1969 Isle Of Wight Festival together ? or was it just pure coincidence that they both just happened to be there ?
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sanpaku »

pinksmile wrote:I am not sure, but do we assume that Barrett and Gilmour attended the 1969 Isle Of Wight Festival together ? or was it just pure coincidence that they both just happened to be there ?
According to Gretta (the girl sitting beside Syd) she and her boyfriend Rusty were trying to get Syd back to music and they went to the festival together: "In 1969 we went to Isle of Wight Festival together and at one point, in an effort to encourage Syd to play his guitar, we took him to stay with a musician friend of ours in Wales. Gala may remember the journey." (http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2010/02/entry_445.html)

So, Syd didn't go there with David Gilmour, and those two shots put together on the magazine were "pure coincidence" (that's why the article is "surreal" in my opinion) but many artists and famous people were there as well (John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, Keith Richard, Bill Wyman, Jane Fonda, Francoise Hardy, Peter Wyngarde, cricketer Bob Willis, Elton John, Cilla Black. And David Gilmour!), so it's not so weird that both happened to be there. The weird thing is that Syd was not among the "famous" in the VIP area of the festival, he was among the anonimous crowd... and has remained anonimous until someone (wish I knew who) has spotted him on that magazine photo.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Fuck the fact Barrett and Gilmour were both there ... somebody brought their CAR !!! :-;
MCPink
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MCPink »

THAT car is da shit!