"Irregular Head" book

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
burp
Embryo
Embryo

Re: "Irregular Head" book

Post by burp »

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_hinton and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge syd didnt live in this village called cherry hinton i bet you £500 ! your wrong he lived in cambridge.
radha is a fictional person who never lived in syds old road...so mr chapman is lying to everyone..i challenge him to explain himself or im returning my book as its fiction...how do i know..i used to live in syds old road and ive noticed a lot of other lies in the book already and ive only spent an hour reading it so far.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Hmm, I see how there could be a bit of confusion about what constitutes 'Cherry Hinton'... as the wikipedia page (which asks for additional citations for verification) says 'Cherry Hinton is a suburban area of the city of Cambridge' ie it is part of the city, and then later refers to Cherry Hinton as a 'village'.

100 years ago Cherry Hinton was a village, but since much of Cambridge's suburbs were built in the 1930s to 1960s it is now all joined up. My experience is people will refer to a vague area as Cherry Hinton - stretching anywhere off Cherry Hinton Road (where you will find St Margarets Square) up to the old Cherry Hinton village.

Same applies for other Cambridge suburbs such as Chesterton (you can talk about old Chesterton village, but most people will refer to Chesterton as anything between the original village and Midsummer Common etc).

I'd also add that while Roger Barrett was still alive, most people who knew his address were deliberately vague about where he lived.

Anyway, Cherry Hinton suburb or Cherry Hinton village, they both now lie within the boundaries of the city of Cambridge. Funny that Cambridge even has city status - feels much more like a town. Burp, I take your point, but I think its a bit of a technicality.

I agree with questioning the authenticity of Radha's comments - as others have pointed out Chapman digs his own hole in attacking Barrett myths, yet is vague on various occasions about his own sources. Maybe Radha's story is true - did you know every single family on your street through the whole 1980s? On the other hand, there will always be these oddballs who attach themselves to celebrities through inventing stories like this. Who knows?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

I´m shamefully borrowing Radha´s note (from LM group)

"I know the bloke you're on about, David something, I believe
his surname was Soare or something...his article about living next to
Roger(Syd) was a total fabrication, as far as I could tell. None of
the rest of us from St. Margaret's Square remember hearing
Roger "screaming 'I'll kill Waters'" or anything at all like that.
Roger was a very unassuming, quiet, quirky, loveable fellow.

I've spoken with Ian (Roger's nephew) and neither one of us even
remembers him from the neighbourhood.

Another leech trying to make money off of Syd's ghost. Ugh."
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

Yeah, but as I recall there was sufficient interest in David Sore's ghostwritten Daily Mail article that some people did check him out, and I don't think there's really any debate that he did live in the street and next door to Syd.

Cmon we're not talking about Coronation St here - why would Radha and David neccesarily know each other, or Ian Barrett know all the inhabitants of St Margarets Square?

There's a simple explanation, that the David Sore article relates mostly to a turbulent period in Barrett's life (the early '80s) - Radha could be ten or fifteen years younger, recollecting a different period.
burp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by burp »

please give a link to thr radha lm info saying shes not aware of syd behaving badly..like i say im openly challenging rob chapman to prove hes not making this up
i suspect radha is rob chapman ! i lived in syds old street all the time he was there i know the names of all the people who lived in the street in the 1980's so radha is fiction..rob chapman youve been caught out.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

burp wrote:i used to live in syds old road and ive noticed a lot of other lies in the book already and ive only spent an hour reading it so far.
What lies do you see?
zag wrote:I´m shamefully borrowing Radha´s note (from LM group)
What is "LM group"?
Radha wrote:"I know the bloke you're on about, David something, I believe
his surname was Soare or something...his article about living next to
Roger(Syd) was a total fabrication, as far as I could tell. None of
the rest of us from St. Margaret's Square remember hearing
Roger "screaming 'I'll kill Waters'" or anything at all like that.
Roger was a very unassuming, quiet, quirky, loveable fellow.

I've spoken with Ian (Roger's nephew) and neither one of us even
remembers him from the neighbourhood.

Another leech trying to make money off of Syd's ghost. Ugh."
What is the surname of "Radha"? Having only her first name, or even only a nickname, gives me the impression she is a make-believe horse herself. :lol:

I see some contradiction. "Radha" says she doesn't remember "David Soares" from Barrett's neighbourhood, but surprisingly (in the same message) she says: "I know the bloke you're on about".

Interesting that "Radha" doesn't only know an old star in her neighbourhoud, but even his nephew. Note that "Radha" even uses the word "us", as if she's part of the family.
And, again, Barrett's family alone doesn't really count for getting a full picture. It's clear that the family wants to put Barrett in a positive light. Like lots of families do. Would nephew Ian risk an internal family conflict with aunt Rosemary, just to please some curious Barrett fans?

As for "Radha" not hearing what neighbour "David Soare" heard, there 's a simple explanation: it seems that Soare lived closer to Barrett than Radha.
An example. In my neighbourhood, in my flat, there's a man who reportedly behaves like a midnight carpenter. He uses a hammer to bang on the floor at night. My neighbours, who were his direct neighbours (and have since moved), complained about being kept awake at night. This surprised me, because my experience is that he's an odd but silent, friendly guy.

Rob Chapman and "Radha" seem to be friends with the Barrett family. I guess they'd rather not spread stories that might upset the family and end the friendship.
Furthermore, Chapman is trying to make money off of Syd's ghost. Why wouldn't he be a leech? Does Chapman have more right to write a biography than Barrett's neighbour?

And a lot of leeches are not just interested in money, but in bragging that they know one or more family members of a star.
And be aware of leeches who warn for leeches, making themselves look reliable.

If I recall correctly, biography 'Crazy Diamond' by Pete Anderson and Mike Watkinson (1993) already mentions negative stories coming from Barrett's neighbourhood. Barrett howling like a wolf, or something like that. Those stories were put aside because of coming from anonymous sources. Even though it's quite normal that people rather not give their full name when criticizing neighbours. Still, the existance of the stories is at least mentioned.
When I read the information by "Soares", it was a confirmation of stories I've read before. It wasn't really new.
scarecrow wrote:Cmon we're not talking about Coronation St here - why would Radha and David neccesarily know each other, or Ian Barrett know all the inhabitants of St Margarets Square?

There's a simple explanation, that the David Sore article relates mostly to a turbulent period in Barrett's life (the early '80s) - Radha could be ten or fifteen years younger, recollecting a different period.
Interesting explanation.

Questions, questions, questions. Will Rob Chapman ever answer these? And will he do it for free? Or will people in the future have to buy a revised edition of his biography?
burp wrote:i suspect radha is rob chapman ! i lived in syds old street all the time he was there i know the names of all the people who lived in the street in the 1980's so radha is fiction..rob chapman youve been caught out.
And how do we know you're not "David Soares"? ;) Do you know this neighbour? Can you confirm his existance?

I don't expect Rob Chapman to respond. And certainly not for free. Having good relations with Barrett's family and some of Barrett's friends, makes him a star himself.
burp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by burp »

blimey that was a fast reply ! yes we need a surname for radha but seeing as shes made up she wont have a real surname either ! lets see of mr chapman gets wind of this discussion id love an explination..and yes what is LM group im sure we would like to compare what radha said on there also..keep digging people.
ok as for other lies...syd playing with kids in the street..FICTION and ian barrett was only ever in syds cambridge house on 1 or 2 summers for a few days between 1981 and 1983 at the very latest id say, ian wouldnt have a clue about what syd got up to day to day let alone knowing the names of everyone who lived in syds street..rob chapman you got some explaining to do !
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

](*,)
no wonder Roger kept his door locked.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I guess by releasing a couple of albums you give up your right to privacy for the rest of your life and beyond.

By the mid 70's Barrett did not want to be a public figure anymore. But some people just can't respect that. They don't respect his wishes, they don't respect him. How can they call themselves fans?

What a bunch of nosy, voyeuristic, gossip mongers some Barrett "fans" are. The music just isn't enough for them. They want blood.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Blade wrote: What is LM group...

I guess it is laughing madcaps and there the text from Radha (Radharani Krishna Harte) can be found...
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ma ... sage/26252

> I'm Syd's Little Girl...but he's not my father. I wouldn't want
> anyone to get the wrong idea and think I'm one of those mad people
> like Syd's Cosmic Bride! :o)
>
> I knew Roger Barrett when I was a little girl, and he was a
> tremendous influence on the way I think and look at the world.
>
> He was always himself and always someone who made himself available
> to the children of the neighbourhood (he always seemed to have time
> for us, to chat or play or draw chalk pictures on the tarmac
> together). He really was loved.
>
> And though I never thought of him as a father figure at the time
(he
> was more like one of us kids), I suppose that's as good a way as
any
> to describe the fondness I still feel whenever I see his picture.
>
> Avril, you've got it there...we really *are* all Syd's children.

I found over 40 posts from her on that yahoo group so we can be pretty sure she exists (unless Rob Chapman is a Arnold-Layneian cross-dresser and has invented a female alter ego). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

burp wrote:yes we need a surname for radha but seeing as shes made up she wont have a real surname either !
Radha could be a nickname, to keep anonymous. Just like there's no one in your neighbourhood who is named "Burp". ;)
If there's no proof available that "Radha" existed, that would be a big mistake in Chapman's book.
burp wrote:ok as for other lies...syd playing with kids in the street..FICTION
If I recall correctly, the mysterious and dubious English-translated-to-Italian-and-back-to-English interview with Rosemary in booklet 'Fish out of Water' (1996) tells about Barrett having fun with kids in the street. (I wonder how the parents would look at a middle-aged man playing with someone else's kids.)
zag wrote:](*,)
no wonder Roger kept his door locked.
I see a lot of understanding for a human isolating himself from the world. When some people on internet or in his street are just discussing, that's enough reason to keep the door locked. Isn't it weird? It seems that anyone, everyone gets the blame when justifying Barrett's behaviour.
Idisaffect wrote:I guess by releasing a couple of albums you give up your right to privacy for the rest of your life and beyond.

By the mid 70's Barrett did not want to be a public figure anymore. But some people just can't respect that. They don't respect his wishes, they don't respect him. How can they call themselves fans?

What a bunch of nosy, voyeuristic, gossip mongers some Barrett "fans" are. The music just isn't enough for them. They want blood.
:lol: Somehow I never see such heavy complaints when Barrett fans are telling stories about their hero playing with kids in the street and giving advice on a make-believe horse. If Barrett's privacy really is respected, there's no room for such stories and for Chapman's biography.
Radharani Krishna Harte wrote:I'm Syd's Little Girl...but he's not my father. [...] Avril, you've got it there...we really *are* all Syd's children.
:shock:
Can she prove she is "Syd's Little Girl" and not some Cosmic Little Girl?
Felix Atagong wrote:I found over 40 posts from her on that yahoo group so we can be pretty sure she exists (unless Rob Chapman is a Arnold-Layneian cross-dresser and has invented a female alter ego). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saying that Chapman is Radha goes very far. The point is that even if there's someone on internet claiming to be "Syd's Little Girl", there needs to be proof. It's even uncertain, at least for me, if she's the same Radha as in the book.

Even if a girl named Radha exists, that doesn't mean she really lived in Barrett's neighbourhood and that her stories are true. As she's telling to be one of more kids, it should be rather easy to find more than one kid. Where are the others?
my ancient skin
Embryo
Embryo

Post by my ancient skin »

Having read both these books,what i take from each is, in Dark Globe ,being promoted as an"unvarnished look" at Syd Barrett,there is still much "varnish" in the idolizing department,
very juicey rock star promo yet still.
In Rob's book, much more of a human feeling,so i would say Rob's book is less varnish.
I tend to believe that Syd Barrett would converse more freely with children,
children have questions but much less analyzing,which perhaps is the insanity that is
brought about to a sensitive artist when there is an over abundance of analyzing at any rate.
burp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by burp »

thanks felix for the link re what is LM group...well based on what she says as calling herself radharani krishna harte aged 25 my first guess would be the poor woman may well have some emotional issues, she also lists her name as ms ana wrecks ya so if shes 25 she was born roughly 1985 and if as rob chapman says she was about 7 when she met syd thats around 1992, if rob chapman has simply searched pink floyd/syd barrett forums and then included comments from people hes not fact checked thats very poor journalism..but lets wait and see ive challenged him openly here to explain this radha person.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Burp, it seems you are very... Sore... about this book but, unfortunately, your comments are drifting too far into the realm of libel to be allowed to continue on this forum. As such you are account is banned.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote:Burp, it seems you are very... Sore... about this book but, unfortunately, your comments are drifting too far into the realm of libel to be allowed to continue on this forum. As such you are account is banned.
:shock: Banned without any warning?
What exactly is the libel? The hypothesis that Radha is an invention by an author? This hypothesis already has been discussed. Where's the room for discussion?
If you're against libel, why don't you ban people who accuse Pink Floyd of being evil to Barrett?

You strongly suggest that Burp is neighbour "Sore". Isn't that libel? If people claiming to be from Barrett's neighbourhood are banned this way, without being able to defend themselves to your suggestion, then what can I say?

Burp did some interesting research on the "Radha" girl, estimating her age and the year when she met Barrett. He challenges Chapman to give an explanation. I think his presence was an interesting addition to this discussion. To ban such a person without warning is reason enough for me to worry about my own presence here. :?