LSD Overdose

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: LSD Overdose

Post by oldperfume »

Rob Chapman's new book, "A very Irregular Hrad" might answer some of our questions. In my opinion, like some others, I think what happened to Syd would have happened anyways. I DO NOT think he was schizo!! I DO NOT think he O.D'd on LSD. I think that basically he had a nervous breakdown exasperated by massive drug use. I also think that Syd was a "Little off " from the get-go. Again, MY opinion, ok?! One thing I've learned about LSD is that if you have a fertive imagination, LSD can sometimes take you so far out there, that you may never come back. Supposedly LSD is for people who NEED an imagination & it helps with that. I read this somewhere. Syd was...well, Syd. Add in the pressures of what was happening around him, his so called friends, the banal interviews,an artist now having to conform to a certain structure when he never had to before, TOTP's, endless touring where the crowds usually didn't get what he was into...it's a recipe for disaster. It's a shame. The fact that he just hid away & never could/would explain what happened leaves it all up in the air. His sister Rose thinks it was the drugs but says he was "Odd". Something else was going on inside him & in the aforementioned book Syd was reading Psychology books & trying to find out what happened to himself. One line was underlined about "coming about full circle". I wish we had some closure on this but we won't. What a genius though, huh!? For 18 months he was a god & then
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I'm starting to think that Irregular Head is going to do some major factionising. I read it having not spent the last 30 years mired in half-researched NME reports and bar banter, so I cannot question it as fully as anybody who properly followed the timeline.

When I first got into Syd Barrett (a book namechecked him against other guitarists as being a pioneer of the instrument) I first read he was insane. Then I read he was blinded by diabetes.... where does it stop?
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

We may never know truly what made Syd have a mental break down but LSD is a powerful drug that brings up a lot of problems in the end. It teaches some things should not be messed with like acid drugs such as LSD. Nothing good comes out of using most acidy type drugs. Rest In Peace Syd.
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sanpaku »

I never took LSD but I'd like to. Why? Well, for many reasons, but basically because I feel I don't fit in this world. I was raised without being warned of the miseries of this world: make money,follow the rules, make tons of "friends" (you'll need some help eventually because the rules don't work for everyone), face aging, diseases and death. I thought "God" (everyone said that word invariably at least once a day) would provide and humans were good animals... I don't blame my folks... they were sort of misfit too.
Anyway, now that I've grown old I've become a reclusive: have no job, no friends, no social life, I only care for my dogs.
I wasn't always like that. I once was a biologist, professor at 3 universities and had some good friends. But I always felt something was wrong, with the others. Now I know something was wrong, with the others. Although many will say I'm the wrong one. I don't believe in anything (gods, fairies, angels, devils, etc), never wanted children, never wanted to marry (although I live with someone, who insisted in the relationship, and I was too tired to argue), don't have particular interest or hope in humankind, but feel very comfortable and relaxed among other animals and plants ("confortably numb" ??). In other words, I'm a loser by current standards.
I wonder if LSD could lead me to different levels of conscience and creativity and make me feel in tune with something else (don't know exactly what, nature, energy, bliss), so life could be some pleasant experience for me.
Syd? Well, I guess he had a Cantabrigian education, with a renowned yet absent pathologist as father and extreme caring mother and sister figures, an idyllic landscape as background and a free-thinking and creative mind. He was fit for this whimsical world. Then he left to London and all that freak out seemed like a dream. But to dream is also to be deceived. Maybe LSD just accelerated something he would face sooner or later: life out there was not as free and creative as back home. Maybe he felt deceived when things didn't work out the way he has dreamed of, he felt alone when nobody else seemed to think like him, he felt terribly helpless after that gig at Corn Exchange when he tried to get back to music and everything went wrong.
Maybe... nobody will ever know. And that's part of the myth surrounding this bloke.
I guess if we were living in ancient Greece, Syd would be considered a demigod, or that kind of human that the Olympian gods would be envy of.
misujry
Embryo
Embryo

Post by misujry »

sanpaku wrote:I never took LSD but I'd like to. Why?
That is a sort of reasonable question. My guess is you are busy believing the lies you tell yourself. You have a self-fulfilling prophecy going on and you will experience whatever you have already decided it shall be. If you decide to have no friends, then you will have no friends. I would suggest that you find evidence of happiness is what you do. Your animals are a great place to start. They love you. <ii>

LSD is for stable people. You will freak out and that is no fun. LSD is also not necessary. It was not necessary in the late 60's and early 70 when I took tons of it and took chances with my mental stability every time. I was not stable! :shock: I freaked out many times. Don't try it. It is just not that important. None one cares if you take acid, but everyone cares that you don't flip out.
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sanpaku »

This does not look like a place for discussion...
Last edited by sanpaku on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misujry
Embryo
Embryo

Post by misujry »

sanpaku wrote: 3. I said friends, not having friends is your choice
4. "Happiness": there is no such thing. you don't know that
5. "Stable people": what is this? OMG, semantics. How about "stabler than"
6. I don't. another choice
7. 80's, 90's, or the new millenium? Boring? who cares?
8. my radical views you don't have any radical views. you merely pretend you do
9. An open mind is all I want. if you wanted that then you would have that. Therefore you are very comfortable telling yourself doom and gloom
10. LET'S TALK ABOUT SYD! Why? It would all be imaginary conjecture
Some people are just too intelligent to "get it". You refuse to grasp that regardless of the circumstances you are one of the hoi polloi, just like everyone. I would suggest you learn how your animals love you regardless of the lies you tell to yourself so you don't have to change. You love wallowing in your own mess while your animals love you unconditionally. There is a very big lesson to be learned from that. Only good will come to you from that lesson.

There is no real point in continuing this conversation as you are way too embroiled in the practice of "yea but". Good luck, I hope you get better.
sanpaku
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sanpaku »

And it's getting worse...
Last edited by sanpaku on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misujry
Embryo
Embryo

Post by misujry »

sanpaku wrote:What can I say?
Nothing. You said the most important thing. You said "Bye! :-;"

I already said this is a pointless conversation, but I just knew you would be compelled to answer in great detail. :-({|= Just let it go.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Done lots of acid lots of times.

Whether or not it affected my mental stability is anyone's guess, really...but I don't think it has.

*shrug*

I still wanna try peyote and DMT, though. :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

The real thing these days is "Salvia Divinorum". It's been described as not a party drug and best taken in a darkened room.
Just saying is all... carry on!
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

I'll have to return to this thread, it looks like fascinating reading.

On a personal note, I think of my own brain in terms of BeforeLSD and AfterLSD. But I was fortunate enough to have encountered it when pure doses of Purple Owsley, LSD-25 in a sugar-cube; barrels of Orange Sunshine; and excellent pure Windowpane were still available. Prior to that, the psychiatric community (most especially in L.A.) was treating many notable people in clinical settings, which is something that is being considered again. Some of the pharmacuetical grade LSD that was used in that way was also released to the public, and frozen, and was around for many years. I think the purity of the LSD is very essential to what the person experiences. And I would never recommend it to anyone with obvious psychiatric issues, though I think all people have subtle psychiatric problems. lol.

As far as being poisoned by an over-dose, be it ergot or strychnine, the history of that is long and an entire different discussion, and so I may be back, if you haven't covered it.
Last edited by justabagofatoms on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

This is in response to Sanpaku:
I hope you come out of your malaise soon. I can see why Syd Barrett would be an obsession with you. He is for me too. I think he's God's gift; at least from 66-68!! You read like a very intelligent yet very bitter person. I hope I'm wrong. I hope things get better for you but I will say one thing: You make your own breaks in this world. To not have friends or to view the world with a cynical eye... I don't know,man. You need to find some of the good that's still left in this world. It's just that sometimes you have to dig a little bit harder & deeper. I wish you well!
misujry
Embryo
Embryo

Post by misujry »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:The real thing these days is "Salvia Divinorum". It's been described as not a party drug and best taken in a darkened room.
Just saying is all... carry on!
I remember when we all tired smoking banana peels. <ii> It think it was about the same time as "Paul is Dead" and the radio station said that if you sent a letter to some address hidden in the Beatles album "they" would send you LSD, but some chick flipped out and jumped out of a window. <.8.> Now this "Salvia Divinorum" nonsense is in the news as all the idiots are trying it. Apparently the little Disney twat tried in on Youtube. That alone certainly must make it "the real thing these days". Ya think?? :lol: "Just saying" you might want to read up a bit on this crap before you get all stupid and try it, but of course you will probably get all stupid and try it--- so for Gawd's Sake don't tell anyone, [-X especially here!!

PS, I sure hope this Sanpaku thinks long and hard about oldperfume's post. Seriously, I hope he does.
LSD
Blade
Blade

Post by LSD »

mosespa wrote:Done lots of acid lots of times.

Whether or not it affected my mental stability is anyone's guess, really...but I don't think it has.

REALLY??!!? :smt084