Roger Waters Guardian Article - Tear Down this Israeli Wall

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roger Waters Guardian Article - Tear Down this Israeli Wall

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -bank-wall

Roger Waters has written article for British newspaper the Guardian in which he calls for Israel to tear down their wall that blocks the Palastinian people in to a "virtual prison".

Roger wants other artists to involve themselves in a "cultural boycott" to help highlight what Irsael is doing to the palastinians. Roger wrote, "My conviction is born in the idea that all people deserve basic human rights. This is not an attack on the people of Israel. This is, however, a plea to my colleagues in the music industry, and also to artists in other disciplines, to join this cultural boycott."

"Artists were right to refuse to play in South Africa's Sun City resort until apartheid fell and white people and black people enjoyed equal rights. And we are right to refuse to play in Israel until the day comes – and it surely will come – when the wall of occupation falls and Palestinians live alongside Israelis in the peace, freedom, justice and dignity that they all deserve."

Your thoughts?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Roger Waters Guardian Article - Tear Down this Israeli W

Post by my breakfast. »

I think the wall is quite cute actually.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The walls in Israel are unfortunate. As long as there are walls there, then one can only assume things are not well and there is no real peace.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Yes, but I don't think that the cultural block will change anything. It's good to see celebrities care for the less fortunate, but there are different ways to help them.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I really like Roger, both as a songwriter and human being, but sometimes I think he wouldn't be making much noise about this issue if instead of a wall in Israel there were just a gigantic electric fence. So much speaking about "walls" sometimes feels as an excuse for self promotion. I mean, there are hundreads of wrong things happening all over the world, but he just centers his energy and only speaks loudly and shares his opinions with he media when those things involve the use of walls ](*,)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Roger is also an activist of an organization called "Millennium Promise", which struggles to end extreme poverty and provides help for children in Africa, but this side of his doesn't get as much media coverage because it's not as interesting as the wall issues, since he's the author of probably the most popular work of art concerning walls ever.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

He can easely tear down his own cardboard wall every night, cashing millions and commenting this issue from his comfy chair.
The israeli wall is a result of thousands of years of human stupidity and anger and one Roger Waters cant do shit about it.
Even if this wall gets torn down, the main problem that build it in the first place - religion, will build another one there, or some where else.

Oh, he should start wearing Bono like shades and hanging out with Nelson Mandela or Obama.

I actually like Rogers angry political rants. But only in his songs. This is a bit over the top for my taste.