Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Release

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: ENTIRE CATALOG AND DELUXE EDITIONS COMING OUT! Unrelease

Post by danielcaux »

Well, I don't know how to feel about this really. It's at the same time both great and very frustrating news to me. Great 'cause we are going to get, FINALLY, new unreleased Floyd material. But also frustrating since it seems that they don't have any real plans of releasing in the future "new" material as great standalone products, like a new series of live albums or some good rarities compilations, instead they seem to prefer to force us to buy YET AGAIN the same old albums that we have bought multiple times in order to get the few unreleased goodies they are throwing at us. Damn those greedy business men.

They could have easily give us a quite great Pink Floyd Live at Wembley 74 double album, a complete and inmersive live experience of a live Floyd show, like ITAOT, but instead they decided to cut and spread the unreleased material in two "Experience" boxsets forcing us to buy four discs of music instead of just the two with the new stuff, if we want the complete show. Man I really miss the 90s now, when these label men were brave and respectful enough to realease all those Hendrix and Zeppelin BBC sessions as standalone albums and not just extra tracks on "sure hits from the past" albums.

Edit: Oh boy! And the big fat Inmersive boxsets, although with some great stuff too, are even more insulting! If we want the new stuff not only they are forcing us to buy the old album, remastered, yet again, but they are also forcing us to buy some of the other previous re-release versions of that album! Like the 2003 DSoTM 5.1 mix and in the Wall case Is There Anybody Out There! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have a bad feeling that the film of the 81 Wall Show that Roger has been working on in recent years is going to be released via this new Wall boxset!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I briefly got excited and thought there might finally be expanded editions of some of their earlier albums like Ummagumma and More, but it would appear they are just remasters of the albums as they were, no extras. It seems it's just DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall that will have extras. Is this the case, or am I missing something?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Discovery edition is the remaster. For DSotM, WYWH and The Wall, Experience includes a second disc of further material and Immersion is a big fat boxset for each album full of all sorts of goodies. 8)

September 26:
All 14 remastered studio albums ‘Discovery’ editions
Box-set of all 14 albums with photo book
Audio downloads of ‘Discovery’ albums and box-set
The Dark Side of The Moon – ‘Immersion’ and ‘Experience’ editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

November 7:
A Foot In The Door -The Best of Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here – ‘Immersion’ and ‘Experience’ editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions

February 27 2012:
The Wall – ‘Immersion’ and ‘Experience’ editions, Vinyl LP and digital editions
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'd love to hear things like Seabirds properly but doesn't look like that's going to happen.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

A Foot In The Door -The Best of Pink Floyd. What a great idea.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

zag wrote:A Foot In The Door -The Best of Pink Floyd. What a great idea.
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm...or should I say sakaricasm ? :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Finally a best of Pink Floyd album :? . What we needed all along folks. Also good to see it focusses on the DSOTM - PULSE era as well, really tasty stuff :roll: .

Pink Floyd treat everything before 1973 like a diseased limb. :mad:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I cant tell if the Experience editions contain the previously unreleased bonus materials or not
Im sure I cant afford well over $100- per album to get those Immersion editions, and I dont need disc after disc of 5.1 remixes or BlueRay, just the previously unreleased tracks

it looks as if the Dark Side Immersion version has at least a third disc of new audio: 1972 Brighton Dome extracts and demos, as well as that disc with the 1974 concert, so what if any of that is on the 2disc version?

I'd seriously like to buy the previously unreleased material but theres no way Im spending all that money on the Immersion editions just to get a few tracks
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

And suddenly my raging semi goes on flop... http://www.whypinkfloyd.com/best-of.php
I'll look into other albums, but I'm not as excited as I was this morning. Couldn't they have given me at least one sleepless night of excitement?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

J Ed wrote:it looks as if the Dark Side Immersion version has at least a third disc of new audio: 1972 Brighton Dome extracts and demos, as well as that disc with the 1974 concert, so what if any of that is on the 2disc version?
That would be nice but sadly it seems that none of that will be in the 2 disc "Experience" version, just on Disc 6 from the boxset:

-The Dark Side Of The Moon 1972 Early Album Mix engineered by Alan Parsons (previously unreleased)
-The Hard Way (from ‘Household Objects’ project)

-Us And Them, Richard Wright Demo (previously unreleased)
-The Travel Sequence, live from Brighton June 1972 (previously unreleased)
-The Mortality Sequence, live from Brighton June 1972 (previously unreleased)
-Any Colour You Like, live from Brighton June 1972 (previously unreleased)
-The Travel Sequence, studio recording 1972 (previously unreleased)
-Money, Roger Waters’ demo (previously unreleased)

I highlighted what IMO are the most interesting tracks in the whole boxset, most of the other stuff we have already heard, although in inferior quality. It would have been GREAT to have just Disc 2 (Live DSoTM 74) and Disc 6 as the "Experience" release, or even just Disc 6 (DSoTM early mix + bonus tracks) as a standalone release, but it you want the demos you must shell out the 100 bucks for the boxset!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I hope they announce more Immersion box sets for Meddle and Animals.

There's so much live material from 70/71 and 77 they could use for extras.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

So...yeah, as mentioned in one of the last posts on here somewhere, I am indeed one of the people that feel like "I just got the 90s RE-masters, NOW this? WTF?!!). I have a question. Are all of the original studio albums really "newly" remastered? I know sometimes articles can be misleading. Are they better than the 90s remasters? How can this be? How much better can they sound than what they already sound like?

Also, I believe that it's kind of stupid that if I were to, for example, go out and by the Discovery box set, and then, for example, buy the Dark Side Experience or Immersion sets, I would end up with, in this case, 3 copies of the "newly" remastered Dark Side, because apparently, they shove the Discovery remaster cds in with the Experience and Immersion sets--which is pointless to me. Does that make any sense? Why can't they just release all of this in one damn box? I'm not saying that I don't like the idea of these new remasters, but damn. >.>
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

oh, fuck me! ](*,)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

TheFloydian1 wrote:Are all of the original studio albums really "newly" remastered?
That's what they are saying.
TheFloydian1 wrote:Are they better than the 90s remasters?
Most probably not.

New remasters in the era of the loudness war tend to be more compressed and with loss of fidelity. They may sound loud and clear at first glance but actually have less dynamic range and more distortion (clipping) in the audio file. So feel glad you were able to got your 90s remasters before this Discovery versions replace them in the stores.

A good example is the PATGoD recent re-issue. The 90s remaster is actually of higher quality than the 40th anniversary remaster. Same goes with the DSoTM 30th and the 90s remaster. Sometimes new doesn't necesarily means better.

Although, if they remaster the whole catalog they way The Beatles did, it may end sounding better indeed. Although the difference it's not going to blow your brains off for sure.

Agreed with you on all the rest of your post. There's a lot of overlapping in this new boxsets.
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

sad about the saucerful reissue, was hoping to finally get a proper release of "vegetable man" et al.