Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Release

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: ENTIRE CATALOG AND DELUXE EDITIONS COMING OUT! Unrelease

Post by jambo »

Of course there's overlapping, that's how box sets work.

The higher up you go, the more extras you get.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

how does this compare to other recent expanded reissue programs?
theres the ongoing King Crimson reissues which are about $30- or so and include, like this, various mixes and a handful of bonus tracks each
I havent bought any of these because the bonus tracks are kind of skimpy, but in KC's case theyve already put out a dozen archival live albums at reasonable prices

then theres the Stones Exile and Yayas boxsets, which are more comparable in price ... at least in the case of Exile, the Stones did shoerly after release independently all the boxset extras (bonus tracks, vinyl, and the documentary dvd)

or Bowies Station to Station box set, which I characterised as the most overelaborate reissue of a single album I ever saw, but in that case he did put out a 2nd reasonable priced version including just the original album and the new live album (3cds for ~$30-)

I dont buy the rationalization that itll cost us over $100- to get a couple of bonus tracks because "thats the way box sets work" ... it seems theyll be limiting potential sales if they make the Immersion Dark Side the only release of the 1972 material because I am just plain never paying that kind of money for a few new bonus tracks

the closest comparison to this type of rerelease program is Live In Dansk where Gilmour put out at least 4 versions of the same album, with not a single one of them, not even the most expensive, containing all of the various bonus tracks that had been spread across the various formats - a comletist would be forced to get at least two of the formats to get everything
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Have to say I find none of this news exciting ....
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

I wonder if the Wish You Were Here Blu-ray Audio disc (SACD?), and the other discs in the Experience and Immersion sets will ever get released individually in stores...that would make things a little better.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

WYWH on SACD is on its way in November 2011.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/blog/ ... on-the-way
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Interview with Nick Mason in Rolling Stone magazine....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20110511

"I really think that this could be the last chance for really nice packaging – boxes, books, the whole thing," Mason said. "We've tried to give everyone all the various alternatives. There is Dark Side as it was recorded on vinyl, but there is also the ultimate, high-end stereo version. And there's also live performances. So now, even if we all just download from here on out, they will at least be there as a document of how it used to work. And I do think there will be people who will still be interested and who will want that."
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Ha ha, cynical people! I have sort of been through this as a Jimi Hendrix fan and King Crimson fan...I WILL BUY ALL THESE ALBUMS!!! <ii> <ii> <ii> THEY WILL SIT ON MY SHELF AS THE LAST TESTAMENT OF PHYSICALLY PACKAGED MUSIC FROM PINK FLOYD...Who wants to buy my Oh By The Way box?
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

It's this quote from Nick in Rolling Stone that gets my juices flowing =P~ :

"Some of the very early demo stuff from '66 is extraordinary – things we recorded in Broadhurst Gardens mainly so we could enter the Melody Maker beat competition," Floyd drummer Nick Mason told Rolling Stone. "It's extraordinary primarily because of Syd [Barrett], hearing him so crystal clear, the way he was playing, and bringing back memories of that first year, when I first met him."

So Nick, when are we gonna hear some of those super early goodies?????
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

So...now that they're going to remaster the entire main catalog, and make a "best of" cd to accommodate it, you think they will update the other compilation albums (Collection of Great Dance Songs, Relics, Works) with the new remastered songs? Hmm..it only makes sense, at least to me.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

How come the UK price for these is £93.00 and the US price is $116 which converts to £70!! Although thats not as bad as in Germany where it is 141 Euro which converts to £122 or $200
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

While everyone is complaining, at least i did enjoy the news. There's few items i'm gonna get. Especially Immersion Boxsets of Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here. And might buy also "standard" releases of few other albums too. Cost too much? Nothing in this life ain't free. Go and yell to Roger, Nick and Dave. They all are money making machines. (well maybe not Nick) ;)
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Steph22 wrote that Nick Mason wrote:"Some of the very early demo stuff from '66 is extraordinary – things we recorded in Broadhurst Gardens mainly so we could enter the Melody Maker beat competition," Floyd drummer Nick Mason told Rolling Stone. "It's extraordinary primarily because of Syd [Barrett], hearing him so crystal clear, the way he was playing, and bringing back memories of that first year, when I first met him."
yes that certainly does indicate theres some Syd-era goodness to come

I think the 2cd Wish You Were Here contains all the audio extras the box set will, so I'll indubitably be picking the more economical version up
yall can let me know after it comes out if the screen films are any different from the bonuses on the PULSE dvd

nobodys mentiones whats in The Wall box
cd's 3 & 4 are to be demos, and 5 & 6 is the live album we already have
the more affordable version will include one bonus disc: "Selected demos"
making that even a bigger dilemna than the Dark Side choice
how many more demos am I getting if I fork out the extra $100-?
and
any guesses how these demos will differ from the Under Construction boot thats been circulating for years? obviously theres enough to spread across more than one disc...
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:any guesses how these demos will differ from the Under Construction boot thats been circulating for years? obviously theres enough to spread across more than one disc...
My guess is that it will differ in quality of the sound - I expect (right or wrong) any songs we have heard before will sound better, being an official release. We could be surprised by an early demo or two that Roger made alone and presented to the band...
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

J Ed wrote:nobodys mentiones whats in The Wall box
cd's 3 & 4 are to be demos, and 5 & 6 is the live album we already have
the more affordable version will include one bonus disc: "Selected demos"....
how many more demos am I getting if I fork out the extra $100-?
Selected demos from The Wall would be unsatisfying, don't you think? If I'm gonna get The Wall demos in better quality I'm gonna want the whole thing. I actually still listen to the demos but I don't play the official release anymore because I've heard it too much. Of course, I'll never throw down for the super expensive version so I'll probably have to stick with "Under Construction" boot. I suspect the officially released demo's wont differ too much from the boot other than being compressed and mastered much louder. That wont make it sound any better to my ears. The Show Must Go On is my favorite part of the demos and that will probably be left off the "selected demos" anyway.

The holy grail for me is still a full length concert video from the '77 tour.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Well, it sure is sad we're only getting extras for 3 albums, but you know what? With PF making us wait for so goddamn long for rare material, it's very good news, all the thing! Yeah, the prices are gonna be right where the stars are, but hell, is there an obstacle for a fan?

I'm drooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Wembley gig, is it the well-bootlegged No Room Upon The Hill?