David Gilmour - On An Island

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
18%
21%
27%
18%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 85

SolidFloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Re: David Gilmour - On An Island

Post by SolidFloyd »

I gave it a 4. I was so excited to buy it when it first came out... listened to it once... and put it away couldnt deal with the mellowness. But gave it a chance again when Remember That Night came out, then I realized that...... this is Gilmour. His guitar is good, and his voice is great for his age ( unlike Rogers old retired voice). On an Island is a very calm album set up like the Division Bell... it is very good.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

Didn't like it first, but now it's gets better and better every day. I did buy Vinyl version of it few days ago :)
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Anyone else noticed how much Then I closed my eyes is similar to Us & them.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Perhaps...if I hadn't dropped off by then :twisted:
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

snifferdog wrote:Perhaps...if I hadn't dropped off by then :twisted:
It's not that bad! Great background, casual listening music.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Yes, it's good for background music. I play it from time to time while I work because it doesn't distract my attention. Hell, it seems it can't attract any attention at all.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Awwww have a heart you guys! It was a great album to bring The G into his golden years. I mean, I don't know about y'all but when I hear "Smile" I totally turn into a giggling schoolgirl. Quite a refreshing contrast from, say, Young Lust. I love The Gs romantic side. Mrs G would be a fool not to throw it on him for that lovely song as well as "Remember that night, wide stares in the moonlight".
**sigh** Where's MY man to write a song like that for me?? :( No fair.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

It's good that this brings so much joy to you ^^ I was actually quite raving when first listened to it. DG is a quality artist in himself.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Wow anything The Gilmour does brings joy to me. But nice of him to give us gals a peek into his romantic side. Good album overall. A personal success for him also I'm sure. Reminds me of Frusciante's "Empyrean". A personal triumph and a masterpiece.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

GilmourGirl wrote:Awwww have a heart you guys! It was a great album to bring The G into his golden years. I mean, I don't know about y'all but when I hear "Smile" I totally turn into a giggling schoolgirl. .
I don't know why, but everytime I hear the studio-version of "Smile", I start to think about the elderly Paul Mc Cartney. Something wrong with my brain/ears, or does is have any spirital touch from the ex-Beatle?

Shine on,
Peter
sonylr
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sonylr »

i need video of this song. can anyone provide the HD link?

Thanks
Sonylr
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I noticed that this album is getting a mixed bag from a lot of people. Personally, I loved it. I love the lulling, ethereal sound that seems to hover over most of the album. It's especially prevalent in songs like the title track and "A Pocketful of Stones". The instrumental tracks are o.k., but I mainly focus on the vocal tracks when I listen to it anyway. I've even made it my official summer album, and it hasn't failed me yet.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

GilmourGirl wrote:Awwww have a heart you guys! It was a great album to bring The G into his golden years. I mean, I don't know about y'all but when I hear "Smile" I totally turn into a giggling schoolgirl. Quite a refreshing contrast from, say, Young Lust. I love The Gs romantic side. Mrs G would be a fool not to throw it on him for that lovely song as well as "Remember that night, wide stares in the moonlight".
**sigh** Where's MY man to write a song like that for me?? :( No fair.
erm didn't Polly write the lyrics? :D
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

Interesting. Based on most others' reviews here, it seems the common complaint is that the album is too mellow. I have a different complaint: it's not mellow enough. That is to say, the 2 "rockers" on the album kinda don't belong.

I *absolutely love* the 1-2 punch of "On an Island" and "The Blue." For me, the rest don't quite measure up, although "Smile" certainly belongs here, and I love the last song too. The two instrumentals (excluding the opening song, which I always program out - why not just start with "On an Island"?) are nice and moody too.

You know what would have been nice? A 15 or 20 minute track. Something like "Echoes" or Marillion's "Ocean Cloud." Oh well. I'll stop complaining and just enjoy it for what it is. And I *do* enjoy it, I think it's Gilmour's best solo album.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

2/5

I really liked Smile when it came out on the Meltdown DVD. And there are a few (!) other nice tracks on it, but most of it sounds too boring in my ears.