Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by azza200 »

i still think the renditions of the AMLOR songs and other floyd classics still sound and were played better on the tour then during 1994. Yet Another Movie i think is a very underrated floyd song which gets over looked their is some really good versions of it out on bootlegs.

DSOT the live album i listen too it more then Pulse Comfortably Numb on the AMLOR sure beats some 1994 versions i have on roios,On The Turning Away is a classic floyd song i love it.
DSOT the video should get rereleased i know it wont happen but if they were too release it they should re-edit it as well as make it a full setlist and include bonus songs like Echoes the original LTF video chuck or release a live 3 dvd boxset

Disc 1 - Atlanta 1987 - bonus song Echoes and behind the scenes documentry
Disc 2 - DSOT full setlist re-edited uncut songs multi cam angle option - rehearsal footage
Disc 3 - Venice 1989 and Knebworth 1990 extras interviews tour stuff rare pics
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

This is a nice album. Only 1 reallybad song (DoW). The album that got me into Floyd. Sometimes a bit boring, but there are some really great tunes on it, even Roger thinks so :D
sonylr
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sonylr »

Its a nice album and all songs are fine. :-;

Thanks
Sonylr
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

Funny thing, Roger Waters and David Gilmour has ended the war. Only the fans are still full of it. Well, for me AMLOR is one of their greatest albums, especially live Soundboard versions of those songs. But guess only the "true" fans are right.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

Sorry to tell you this, but I do like "Dogs of war". The only problem with that track is the need of playing it loud. Very loud. It is that kind of a song. I also prefer the studio version much more, because this song is not a party-hit. And a Pink Floyd show is - unfortunately - a kind of a party. To me, the song "Dogs of war" could had fit in "The Final Cut"-album with less "machine"-feel of the drum parts.

Best regards,
Peter
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I think "Dogs of War" was a kind of failed attempt from Gilmour's part to recreate a "modern" and more poppy version of "Welcome To The Machine".

Well, like these internet youngsters say: FAIL!

Right from the intro of the album you can see/hear how badly Gilmour wanted WYWH to be the blueprint for the new 80s Floyd project.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

With the exception of a couple of tracks, I can't see WYWH as a blueprint for AMLOR :?

While DOW may really recall WTTM, it's a fine song on its own.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I just can't think of any redeeming quality to this album. Not a single song on it does absolutely anything for me. Bland and boring music.
I'm going to slightly revise my opinion on this. I've played this at work a few times recently (because, bizarrely, it's the only PF we have there), and it's not as bad as I remembered it. It's not a great album, by any stretch, and I'm still leaving my rating as 'worst', because I do think it's one of PF's worst efforts, but it's an okay listen, if that's all you've got.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

This is my least favorite album by "Pink Floyd". Yes, they titled this shitty music as Pink Floyd, when in fact it´s a solo album by David.
I only like One Slip. The rest of it, absolutely rubbish. :evil:
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

you dont like On The Turning Away?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I have always had pretty ambivalent feelings about "On The Turning Away". I think it has absolutely nothing in common with what Pink Floyd have done before it (except maybe for the fretless bass solo, which reminds a bit of "Hey You") and that it is one of the songs in which Gilmour tried to plagiarize the "Pink Floyd sound" (and failed badly), but I also think that it's one of the best stand-alone songs Floyd have recorded... If it had been published under the name of David Gilmour, it would have easily been remembered as one of his "greatest hits", but then again it's a question if a wider audience would have heard it at all. There's no question, however, that conceptually and structurally it would have fit perfectly on "About Face" (in fact, it might even be a leftover), with lyrics that reflect the peace-concerned globalism firmly dated in the mid-1980s, stripped of any hidden meaning or afterthought. Nevertheless, I do like them...

All in all, "On The Turning Away" is a kind of a guilty pleasure for me, I guess.
mosespa wrote:*shrug*
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

azza200 wrote:you dont like On The Turning Away?
No.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

I think the album is OK overall. Not as inspired as some of the others, I'm sure we can all agree, but a pleasant experience nonetheless.

Except for Dogs of War. There has just always been something about that song that has really annoyed me. I can't listen to it. I get all agitated. It was cool they way they presented it live on tour though, so a few points for that anyway.

I heard Learning to Fly on the local classic rock station just the other day and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Of course, it's always thoroughly enjoyable to hear a Floyd tune on the radio. Sadly it's a rare experience.
prosopon73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by prosopon73 »

its not a bad album but i think its their weakest. Dont like the drums.

I like on the turning away the best
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am about to subject myself to this album from beginning to end. Wish me luck! :lol: