Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Release

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: ENTIRE CATALOG AND DELUXE EDITIONS COMING OUT! Unrelease

Post by Stephen »

Depending on sales of the ones already announced I'd say it's almost certain that we'll get something from that period. even if they lump it all together in a post Syd/ pre DSOTM release which would be a must have as far as I'm concerned.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Well, I'm excited about this all, yes we have some of the material already, but then we are all Pink Floyd fans here, but I am really looking forward to Household Objects stuff, because Gilmour has said in the past there really isn't that much usable music from the project, so that will be interesting. And Its just great that Pink Floyd is in peoples heads again, people always go on about the likes of Led Zepplin, but for me Pink Floyd are and always will be the greatest group ever, and we should all be celebrating that point :D The only downside for me is this would have been the perfect chance to release something like The Beatles Anthology.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

While we do have a lot of the material in the box sets, most of it is second or third generation and not mixed well.

The high quality quad mixes on the Blu-rays will blow the old rips we have out of the water. And even though we already have the Wembley 74 concert, a properly mixed from the master tapes version will destroy the second gen FM rips that have been floating around. The level of polish is going to be awesome!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Stephen wrote: I'd love to think they would do one from the Meddle period but what would they put on it other than One Of These Days and Echoes as alternate/live options that were specifically from Meddle?
There have been rumours about a version of "Brain Damage" (then titled "The Dark Side of The Moon") being recorded at the Meddle sessions. But I guess they would prefer to include that in the DSoTM boxset instead. I would be nice to hear though.

I guess they could also include a DVD with their Saint Tropez concert and other clips from the era. As for live shows, well not many of the album tracks were played live, only three actually, but their best shows were from this period.

God, I just realized that IF a Meddle Inmersion Boxset ever happens, they will most definitely include the Pompeii DVD as part of it, just like they are going to do with the Wall boxset and ITAOT :(
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:
God, I just realized that IF a Meddle Inmersion Boxset ever happens, they will most definitely include the Pompeii DVD as part of it, just like they are going to do with the Wall boxset and ITAOT :(
Why the long face?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Why? Because including Pompeii in such a boxset would mean that:

a) instead of having other unreleased video footage from that era, they would give us something we already have.

and

b) we would have to pay for that DVD yet again, if we wanted the other unreleased stuff they would include in the boxset.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

danielcaux wrote:
Looking on the bright side, it could be filled with extras and outtakes of course. If it were to be a Blu-Ray version of Pompeii I wouldn't mind either as I'd buy that anyway if it were ever released individually.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Or hopefully they will include the original 1974 cut, the one with the live songs and original interviews, and not the awful, awful, awful, awful more recent director's cut with the CGI and the black and white footage.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

They don't have a lot of rights to the Pompeii film though, do they?
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

snifferdog wrote:They don't have a lot of rights to the Pompeii film though, do they?
Floyd or EMI? I'm sure that money would talk if they really wanted it.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:Why? Because including Pompeii in such a boxset would mean that:

a) instead of having other unreleased video footage from that era, they would give us something we already have.

and

b) we would have to pay for that DVD yet again, if we wanted the other unreleased stuff they would include in the boxset.
You're lucky to have that DVD at all. I do not :(
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Don't know if this has been asked before: Does anyone knows if disc 2 of dark side of the moon experience set (live) is also the bootleg known as "brain damage", from 1974?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

the Amazon listing just says Wembley 1974
we all seem to be assuming its the same BBC broadcast that was, I think, the source for the boot you're talking about
I have that broadcast as Time In London, with the Echoes encore
it is the logical assumption but who knows? they might have multitrack tapes for the whole tour to choose from hidden in their vaults

what would be really hep is if they gave the opening set thats going in the Wish You Were Here set the British Winter Tour 74 artwork
though I think that notorious boot was recorded at a completely different stop on the tour

and speaking of bits they may or may not include: think theyll give us the Jimmy Young tapecollage that opened those 1974 shows? with all the bonus tracks on disc2 of the WYWH box, I doubt theres room for it, but I want it included even more than the Echoes encore
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Charade I am wrote:Don't know if this has been asked before: Does anyone knows if disc 2 of dark side of the moon experience set (live) is also the bootleg known as "brain damage", from 1974?
Same concert, but it's from the BBC master reels and remixed so you can actually hear the guitar :lol:
swanning_it
Axe
Axe

Post by swanning_it »

I haven't yet had time to study the releases like you guys, but I'm wondering if early Pink Floyd is off the table because of copyright issues with Syds estate?

Also, my SACD player packed it in and my one and only SACD is DSOTM, so do I look at replacing a now (it seems) obsolete player for one or two albums or will Blu Ray 5.1 be better still? Any advice on that one most welcome. Personally, I'm horrified at the abortive mess made of Hi-Fi by digital compression. Surely Pink Floyd, who've always been audiophile pioneers, won't let their remasters defile their old works at all. If I want to comrpess to fit on my iPone, that's fine......but I definitely want the highest possible fidelity on the remasters. Do you think that's expecting too much these days?