FORUM GOING DOWN - Transfer to new server

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

FORUM GOING DOWN - Transfer to new server

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am about to start transferring the site from the current server (the computer is lives on) to the new Cloud Server I have bought for it.

On my very long list of tasks to complete in order to do the transfer includes deactivating the forum so that the database is not changes. I will then take a copy of the database and put on the new server and reactivate the forum.

Whilst the forum is deactivated, you will not be able to post to the forum but I think you can still browse. We will see.

It should take me half a day to transfer the database over and I plan on doing that some time over the weekend.

If you need to talk, you can do so on the NPF Facebook Page whilst the forum is down.

Cloud What?

The site has gained immensely in popularity over the past 12 months to the point where the current server is unable to keep up with the demands on it. It is a physical machine with a fixed amount of CPU and RAM. Hence, when it gets overloaded, it will tend to crash. The new Cloud Server allows me to scale the power of the server up and down during peaks at the click of a button. Hence I can double the RAM to deal with lots of new demand on the site. The result of this will be a much faster website and less downtime due to overloading.

Wish me luck! ;-)
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: FORUM GOING DOWN - Transfer to new server

Post by Stephen »

Not that I'm in the habit of throwing money around but if you wanted donations for this Keith then I'd be only too happy to contribute.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Your offer is very kind and much appreciated but I have some in the kitty courtest of Google Adsense. You have probably seen the ads over the site. They just about cover the costs of the site per month hence I haven't asked for donations for a while now. I think the last time was September 2009 for the year 2010.

The ads may be a little annoying, but they pay the costs of running the site. 8)

Good man for offering. :)
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Good to hear that Keith, wouldn't want you to be out of pocket. :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

No, me neither! :lol: Although if funding dried up from advertising, I probably wouldn't do fundraising these days. I used to do that when I was poor and couldn't afford the costs myself. I provide the site out of goodness, love of music and messing about with technology. GEEK!
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

good to hear Keith - look forward to when everything is back up and running. 8)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Amen to that :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Keith Jordan wrote: Whilst the forum is deactivated, you will not be able to post to the forum but I think you can still browse. We will see.

It should take me half a day to transfer the database over and I plan on doing that some time over the weekend.
Is that the reason why nobody posted anything about my birthday? Or maybe I'm missing something?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

This thread has nothing to do with you or your birthday. ](*,)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

You said nobody could post anything, that is why I asked... And thanks for the wishes.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I didn't say nobody could post anything just to be clear. I said, "Whilst the forum is deactivated, you will not be able to post to the forum but I think you can still browse. We will see."

The forum is not deactivated. I have just finished transferring all the files to the new server. Now I am making a start on the databases.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Well, browsing is not the same as posting, is it? Browsing is browsing, and posting is posting. Besides, with several people liking me, I can't help but wonder why nobody... maybe they didn't notice :? I'm not saying they have to, but... yeah... a bit surprising...

Ugh... please... just don't reply any criticism or explanation right now, Keith... not now... I am a bit sad now :(
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

moom wrote:Well, browsing is not the same as posting, is it? Browsing is browsing, and posting is posting. Besides, with several people liking me, I can't help but wonder why nobody... maybe they didn't notice :? I'm not saying they have to, but... yeah... a bit surprising...

Ugh... please... just don't reply any criticism or explanation right now, Keith... not now... I am a bit sad now :(
I'd ask why but I'm not interested and it would give you an excuse for more of your drivel
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Too late for that now... no more sadness :P
Over to you, johnny.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Everything was going well until I ran out of disc space on the new server. I will have to learn how to mount a new /var/ folder apparently although I dont know how to do that! :D