Roger Waters - Ca Ira

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
10%
8%
30%
23%
1 - Worst
30%

Total votes: 40

ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Roger Waters - Ca Ira

Post by ddebil »

That's a reasonable point.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Is it any more of an Opera than The Wall is?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

A lot more. Unlike "The Wall" it is an opera.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

For someone who said this...
"Andrew Lloyd Webber sickens me. He's in your face all the time and what he does is nonsense. It has no value. It is shallow, derivative rubbish, all of it, and it makes me very gloomy. Actually, I've never been to one of his shows but having put that slightly savage joke on the record, I thought I'd better listen to some Andrew Lloyd Webber and I was staying in a rented house in America this summer and the people who owned the house had a whole bunch of his rubbish so I thought I'd listen to Phantom Of The Opera and I put the record on and I was slightly apprehensive. I thought, Christ, I hope this isn't good - or even mediocre. I was not disappointed. Phantom Of The Opera is absolutely fucking horrible from start to finish."

...it's unfortunate that Ca Ira sounds like a poor imitation of a ALW musical. Sorry Rog.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

EDITED BY ADMIN - Troll. Second warning.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

JackRegan wrote:EDITED BY ADMIN - Troll. Second warning.
i see....well, let's put is this way then. The Best Roger Waters album out there.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

JackRegan wrote:
JackRegan wrote:EDITED BY ADMIN - Troll. Second warning.
i see....well, let's put is this way then. The Best Roger Waters album out there.
I personally think Amused to Death is 100 times better than Ca Ira but that is not the issue here. People are very welcome to state their opinion, even if they do not like something. But when the intentions of the poster are to be a troll like yourself, then you will receive a warning. This is to uphold standards on the forum so it is a fun place for the majority to come and enjoy. If you cannot adhere to the forum rules, then you will be removed.

Anyway.... one of the singers on Ca Ira is Pixie Lott! Some of you may have heard her on the radio here in the UK and perhaps abroad too. I couldn't tell you which bits she was singing on though. She was only a teen at the time I think.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

its not the best album Roger Waters has put out. To be nice.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Gosh, I haven't listened to this album all the way through in one sitting yet. Looks like it really won't be played by me much in the remaining days of my life.
sonylr
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sonylr »

I didn't hear all the song of best album of Roger Waters. But as much as i hear all are nice

Thanks
Liton <ii>
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Unlistenable, but a try at different kind of epic.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I wonder what Roger Waters thinks of the fact Pixie Lott was one of the singers on this album? :lol:

Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

I do enjoy opera, but this is just not very interesting. It just does not do anything for me. Given it one spin, and that was a struggle. I rated this 2.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

This is a really odd piece for so many reasons. Mainly, after taking as much credit as possible for Pink Floyd songs where the music was written by other members of the band, he was handed the full lyrics of Ça Ira, written by a die-hard Pink Floyd fan (as well as an accomplished songwriter and screenwriter) and his wife, and asked to set it to music in 1987. I don't think this is what they had in mind - I guess we'll never know, because Roger waited until the guy died 16 years later to finish it, but I suspect he was hoping for the sound of The Wall. Also, the original French version was completed and recorded in 1988, and was even endorsed by the President of France, but never released or performed...how Rog managed to get that much done in between touring Radio KAOS, working on Amused to Death, and fighting legal battles, I do not know. The footage from 1995 of him working on the second version is interesting, showing the Atari MIDI system he started with (also used by Rick Wright, we now know), the early version of Logic he switched to, trying all sorts of rhythms and percussion - and seeing a VCS3 perched atop his E-Mu shakuhachi sampler is a real treat. He then explains why he decided to scrap all of that and stick within the traditional orchestral instrumentation, and the result is very dull.

It's hard to compare other rock bands to Pink Floyd, considering how many ideas went into their best albums and how well it all worked, but to compare Ça Ira to um, better operas? Puccini's Tosca, which Roger references just about every time he talks about it, is an hour longer. Mozart's Marriage of Figaro over 3 hours long. Wagner's Ring cycle is 17 hours long. All three are exponentially more complex musically, lyrically, and theatrically. And currently, rock albums are getting shorter and shorter, with some recent ones being 25 and 30 minutes long. This would have worked better as a rock opera, whatever that is.
rockfenris2005
Axe
Axe

Post by rockfenris2005 »

I've still never heard this, but always been curious about it. Still would love to see what a Roger "The Wall" musical would be like. I remember first hearing about that in 2004. Will it ever happen?