Pink Floyd - Zabriskie Point soundtrack

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
3%
38%
25%
25%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 32

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd - Zabriskie Point soundtrack

Post by drafsack »

This thread is to discuss Pink Floyds part of the Zabriskie Point soundtrack.

Feel free to discuss the album!

1 CD version
Heart Beat, Pig Meat
Crumbling Land
Come in Number 51, Your Time Is Up

2 CD version
Heart Beat, Pig Meat
Crumbling Land
Come in Number 51, Your Time Is Up
Country Song
Unknown Song
Love Scene
Love Scene
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Pink Floyd - Zabriskie Point soundtrack

Post by J Ed »

one of the few Floydrelated albums Ive never owned on vinyl
the old vinyl boot Dark Side of the Moo compiles the three songs from this album with various other rarities, so thats always sufficed for me

the cd I did purchase as soons I could find a used copy (I think as a specialty product it was very expensive when first released)
not only do we get four previously unreleased Floyd toons, we get 20 minutes of Jerry Garcia noodling
strange they didnt include the Violent Sequence, which surely was the most interesting outtake, with the Floyd themselves referring to it in the Making of Dark Side documentary
also not included were famous bootleg tracks Fingals Cave or Oneoen (although one of the bonus tracks is so random/aimless sounding it could be Oneoen and I just didnt recognise it)
theres long been bootlegs that do a better job of compiling all the Floyd outtakes from this movie soundtrack

note: this is one of the very few cases of Floydian archival material being released, and I suspect thats because the Floyd themselves dont own the rights to the material
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

Nope, none of the bonus tracks are "Oenone." We got Love Scene No. 4, which is a Richard piano improv; and Love Scene No. 6, which is simply the blues jam they did live.

Three takes of what became known as "Oenone" seem to be Love Scenes No. 1, 2, and 3. Love Scene No. 5 is a pathetically boring series of echoed vibraphone notes.
crowman
Blade
Blade

Post by crowman »

2 for the album as released as it only has three Floyd tracks, but Heart Beat and Crumbling Land are fantastic. The bonus tracks on the 97 release are great too - how did Country Song ("The Red Queen") stay unreleased for so long? And why weren't Oenone and The Violent Sequence included on this version?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:1. theres long been bootlegs that do a better job of compiling all the Floyd outtakes from this movie soundtrack

2. note: this is one of the very few cases of Floydian archival material being released, and I suspect thats because the Floyd themselves dont own the rights to the material
1. Yeah, one must find at least these on a boot somewhere:

1. Rain In The Country (Take One) 6:44
2. The Violent Sequence (Take One) 6:06
3. The Red Queen Theme (Take One) 2:05
4. Fingal`s Cave (Take One) 6:43
5. Theme (Take Two) 1:19
6. Rain In The Country (Take Two) 1:45
7. Love Scene (Take One) 6:44
8. Love Scene (Take Two) 6:37
9. Blues Scene (Take One) 7:11
10. Fingal`s Cave (Take Two) 6:21
11. Love Scene (Take Three) 1:02
12. Love Scene (Take Four) 7:36
13. The Red Queen Theme (Take Two) 5:45
14. Crumbling Land (Take One) 5:01
15. Unknown Song (Take One) 5:54

2. I believe you are correct that they do not own the material, however, I suspect Dave actually did approve the ones that are on the expaned cd base on his musical tastes...just a guess.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

nosaj wrote:one must find at least these on a boot somewhere:

1. Rain In The Country (Take One) 6:44
2. The Violent Sequence (Take One) 6:06
3. The Red Queen Theme (Take One) 2:05
4. Fingal`s Cave (Take One) 6:43
5. Theme (Take Two) 1:19
6. Rain In The Country (Take Two) 1:45
7. Love Scene (Take One) 6:44
8. Love Scene (Take Two) 6:37
9. Blues Scene (Take One) 7:11
10. Fingal`s Cave (Take Two) 6:21
11. Love Scene (Take Three) 1:02
12. Love Scene (Take Four) 7:36
13. The Red Queen Theme (Take Two) 5:45
14. Crumbling Land (Take One) 5:01
15. Unknown Song (Take One) 5:54
I've got a copy of this one. It's nothing special, except for the really wonderful full version of "The Violent Sequence".
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I havent seen this discussed yet
but the complete reissue with bonus tracks (I think Rhino Records put this out on ceedee in the mid90s) is now available on vinyl as a triple album
the Jerry Garcia tracks make up the 2nd record, and the prev unreleased Floyd tracks are record 3
which makes for a very short record, personally Id rather they repeated the three songs from the original soundtrack and put all the Floyd on one record
anyways its been $60- in both stores Ive seen it in so far, which is beyond my budget for a few songs
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I'm tempted, just because it's out there.
prosopon73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by prosopon73 »

i have never hear it.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

I didn't even know the Floyd songs on this had been released on a soundtrack never mind re-issued with bonus tracks. I thought they were just on bootlegs!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

I don't think I've got the patience to sort out what's what with PF work on this film. I've downloadeed a few boots from this era Oenone, Cournty song, Rain in the country, Fingals cave and one of the Love theme's. I'm not even sure they're not the same music with different titles. The vocals on Country song are hard to pin down. Is it David And Rick or just David or just Rick or even Roger. I quite like it on first hearing.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

I do like Jerry Garcias little jam on this.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

Flying pig437 wrote:I didn't even know the Floyd songs on this had been released on a soundtrack never mind re-issued with bonus tracks. I thought they were just on bootlegs!
I have had this record on vinyl for 33 years, I found it in a thrift store for 25 cents in 1978. And I'd pull it out when anyone said they were "a Pink Floyd Fan." 19 out of 20 times, people had never heard of it back then. It still it always amazes me when I hear someone say this-- have you never *looked* at a discography of the band? ](*,) Back in the 80's, before the double CD came out, I could understand, we didn't have the Internet, Wikipedia, or Neptune Pink Floyd, but having been on-line for 20 years now, and having been in trading circles for 25 years, (back when it was still cassette tapes), I don't understand. How can you be a fan, and *not* know about this release? I mean, the 1968 film "The Commission" I can understand, they only did sound effects, not real songs, but this is real songs by the real band; not merely Rick singing "The Merry Christmas Song".
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

The Zabriskie Point soundtrack is a matter of quality over quantity. Their contribution to the soundtrack was minimal, but what remained were some good pieces from this era. "Heart Beat, Pig Meat" is the track that accompanies the opening credits of the movie. It's standard Pink Floyd ambience; it's neither good nor bad. "Crumbling Land" was a nice experiment with folk/Americana music, but unfortunately, it was only featured in the movie for 5 seconds. "Come in No. 51, Your Time is Up" is a great take on "Eugene", especially when seen in context with the film.

I watched Zabriskie Point the other day and I found it a little underwhelming. You'd be wasting your time if you watched it for Pink Floyd's music. You're better off getting your hands on the Zabriskie Point Sessions bootleg.

4/5
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Am I the only one here who has tried to "distill" a decent Pink Floyd album out of all the tracks and outtakes from the Zabriskie Sessions available via bootlegs? It's really hard to come with something even barely as good as More or OBC. Apart from Heart Beat-Pig Meat and #51 the best tracks for me are the different Love Scenes, problem is most of them are more or less the same song. I really can't understand all the love for Country Song and Fingal's Cave in some fan circles either, the latter being basically just another weak attempt at writing a hard rock song like Ibiza Bar and The Nile Song, but not even having a good song structure, just the same riff played over and over. In that regard it reminds me a little of When You Are In too, from OBC, but even that track is more interesting. I guess it's just a case of a name having sort of a misterious aura around it.

But for any lover of Great Gig in The Sky and oveall Rick Wright piano work I would definitely recomend Love Scene #4 . Lovely indeed. And those weird souls who like the ambient side of More shouldn't miss Love Scene #1 and # 3 which remind me a lot of Quicksilver from that other soundtrack. Oenone is kinda in the same vain, but the soundquality is really bad.

I do like Crumbling Land and Rain In The Country too, but it's nothing to call home about really. So, so far the only thing I know for sure is that my ideal version would begin with Pig Meat and end with Eugene#51 with Love Scene #4 somewhere in the middle :lol:

Does any of you have alternate/personal running orders for an hypothetical Zabriskie Point Floyd only album?