Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
78%
16%
4%
1%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 159

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Post by moom »

moom wrote:
JackRegan wrote:4/5. Great, but overrated album.
;) Finally someone who openly understands me about Moon :D
What was I thinking!? I mean, I still agree TO SOME EXTENT, and I still think it's a little bit too perfect leaving out any imagination from listeners, but hey it's such a great album anyway. I revoted. 5 stars.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

moom wrote:I still think it's a little bit too perfect leaving out any imagination from listeners

:? eh?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

That is, I can't imagine any melody played any other way, nor I can't add any sounds or extract. The Flaming Lips tried to, but they almost completely wrote some of the tunes.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

moom wrote:That is, I can't imagine any melody played any other way, nor I can't add any sounds or extract...
Check the classy saxophone solo on this, among many other nice variations on the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McxKjRPonmc
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:
moom wrote:That is, I can't imagine any melody played any other way, nor I can't add any sounds or extract...
Check the classy saxophone solo on this, among many other nice variations on the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McxKjRPonmc
Well, it's THEIR work, THEIR variation, not mine. When I said "I can't imagine any melody played any other way, nor I can't add any sounds or extract..." I was applying it to myself, even though I have quite an experience in rearranging stuff.
During the opening, I didn't like the funky treatment. Doesn't fit Us&Them's theme, imho. Then the vocals, sounding like a proud Baltic poet. :lol: Well, not a bad variation, anyway, but of course, not even closely as captivating as the original. Actually, you may forget the first lines I said. It's just unusual for me. I'm trying to forget what the song's about in order to enjoy it more in this form. And nice quack at 3:14 :lol:
Still, the sax, imho, sucks, because they don't let it ring.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I think that's the whole point of this cover, to transform the normallly anthemic and pretty song into something more mundane and ugly.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I don't like ugly... except an ugly horror movie... well, I wouldn't exactly call THIS ugly.

Wanna know REAL UGLY?

Oops... farted on my keyboard...
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Dark Side = the 2nd ever Floyd album to be added to the J Edwardian archives
after I got The Wall and couldnt stop talking about how profound it was to my schoolchums, they let me know that The Wall wasnt really Pink Floyd and I should listen to this other album with a triangle on the cover if I really wanted to listen to Pink Floyd

and soon after I saw their point, both in that this was more of team effort, and also that I ended up listening to it a lot more: its a lot nicer to listen to after a nice doob, and I just think theres more to discover with repeated listenings

in fact its taken me decades to figure out what the "concept" is, or to learn how the music ties together, or some of the technical things theyre doing
a lot of that Ive actually learned from hanging out with you crazy obsessives

first ever live version I heard was a cassette bootleg of their 1975 Boston show that ran out after Money
this revealed the long drawn out Speak to Me teaser they did in concert, and the wierd variations they could do to On the Run
but it was many years later til I found a complete show and finally learned Any Colour... was their big jam number, the "insert-jam-here" part of the album
I'd always wanted that little instrumental break to stretch out longer than it did on vinyl and turns out thats exactly what they did when playing it live
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

J Ed wrote: first ever live version I heard was a cassette bootleg of their 1975 Boston show that ran out after Money
this revealed the long drawn out Speak to Me teaser they did in concert, and the wierd variations they could do to On the Run
but it was many years later til I found a complete show and finally learned Any Colour... was their big jam number, the "insert-jam-here" part of the album
I'd always wanted that little instrumental break to stretch out longer than it did on vinyl and turns out thats exactly what they did when playing it live
That was the first boot I ever bought - Pigs, wishes and moons - cost me £10 which at the time was nearly 1/2 a weeks wages. Played it endlessly and it used to bug me that dark side was cut short
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

yes I bought that and a 1970 show called Sing To Me Cymbaline from a guy selling tapes out of his briefcase in Greenwich Village when I was 21
the 1970 show was even more of a revelation because of the extended live Cymbaline and Fat Old Sun, Atom Heart Mother was actually pretty much the same as the studio version
that one ran out in the middle of a very long Saucerful, they were still making wierd noises during the Syncopated Pandemonium part after about as much time as the Ummagumma version took in total

finding someone selling cassettes in the street was like striking gold ... Id seen the vinyl boots in stores for years but had never been able to justify paying the preposterous pricetages (except Dark Side of the Moo which was a fairly normal price) ... of course those things could be dubbed and sold at a fair price, just Id never seen anybody in Toronto doing that, only in the streets of New York where free enterprise rules

ok this talk of first bootlegs is nothing to do with Dark Side of the Moon, so back ontopic:
first time I ever heard a fragment of the 1972 version: in the mid90s while listening to a commercial rock radio station in Vancouver, the deejay played a Floyd supersession and snuck The Travel Sequence in the middle! I was so freaking pissed I hadnt thought to record the supersession, but why would I have when I already had all the official releases? ah well, a couple more years and HiSpeed internet connections made that regret, and the dude with the briefcase, and all that overpriced bootleg vinyl completely obsolete
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

My best friend came home from a trip to London with a record with little piggies on it - no title - a live performance - and we thought it sounded pretty much like Floyd and was flabbergasted.
A couple of months later Dark side hit the streets and once again our jaws hit the table - this was it!
Still have warm feelings about their back-catalog, but this album (and the next to come) is in my opinion Pink Floyd at their best.
Then the controversy on the reduction of PF as a backin'group for Waters and letting down poor Richard, the bitterness and jurors pros and cons on who was PF and who were not, made me turn my back on PF for several years.

This album is a clear fiver, in my humble opinion...
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

As much as I love this album, I ended up giving it a 4, but it really gets a 4.5 in my book. I'm guessing it's because I practically know the album by heart at this point and know how the album is going to flow. Based on that, it doesn't wow me as much as it did when I first listened to it, but musically, it featured some of the Floyd's best playing ever.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

moom wrote:
Steph22 wrote:
2. They say Nick is not a good drummer, but then, he should get a lot of credit for this drumming alone.
3. Me too :)
I'd have never imagined anyone would say that when I first got into floyd and people say the same thing about Roger's bass playing. I'm a total non musician with absolubtely no sense of rythm whatsoever so for me it's mind-boggling that someone who could play the jam section from Money could have their drumming genius questioned. And as for the kick-in to the main song of Time...
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Jacek wrote:This is an excellent album, no doubt about it, but it is not in my Floyd favorites; there are a few too many things I don't like about it. The main one is what I consider overkill on the female-vocal front...
er...apart from GGITS there only on as b/v's and at that only occaisonly adding a harmonic touch. W/e it is it's not overkill!!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Stephen wrote:
moom wrote:I still think it's a little bit too perfect leaving out any imagination from listeners

:? eh?
:D I haven't laughed so much in ages.