David Gilmour - Self Titled Album David Gilmour

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album!

5 - Best
20%
37%
34%
4%
1- Worst
6%

Total votes: 71

Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Re: David Gilmour - Self Titled Album David Gilmour

Post by Steph22 »

Dosen't do much for me except for Short and Sweet.
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Post by dearboy »

"Cry From The Street" is my fave. I love that scorching guitar tone. I've always wondered why, to my knowledge, he never played it live. (Maybe because it's not in one of his usual keys...)
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Steph22 wrote:Dosen't do much for me except for Short and Sweet.

Ok I take it back, this is a pretty good album. I was looking for something different to listen to the other night so I put this on. Now I have listened to it three times in two days. :)

Cry from the Street and the rockin' instrumental Deafinitley are my favorites. Mihalis is good chill background music. I still like Short and Sweet too.

Not a classic album, but one I will be definitley listening to more from now on.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was just listening to the band Rise and was thinking that David Gilmour's self-titled album is very shoe-gazer!
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Damn good album.Holds up well after all these years. Short & Sweet is a personal fave, great guitar work on this album.
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

it kicks the crap out of anything waters did solo!
Bumr50
Axe
Axe

Post by Bumr50 »

30yrsydfan wrote:it kicks the crap out of anything waters did solo!
While David at least seems to be exploring music, Roger's material tends to be stuck in adolescent angst, as though he's not matured.
And as I'm generally at odds with Rogers over-the-top and sweepingly generalized anti-any-government themes, I find this Gilmour album to be the most listenable.
I should note that 'Smile" was used briliantly in my wedding DVD (produced by Palace Resorts Aventura Spa Palace), and so I now have a soft spot in my heart for OAI. While the song wasn't used during the ceremony, on the DVD they used it as background for a slide show of pictures of us while dating and travelling before we were married.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I really like this one. It's much more subdued than About Face, but not in a lounging sort of way like On an Island. It features some nice instrumentals and "There's No Way Out of Here" always manages to worm its way into my brain and never leave. Rated it a 3, but really gets a 3.5/5 from me.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

following AHM my next Floydian purchase:
I had a cassette dub of Gilmours 1st solo album for ages, then purchased my own copy on vinyl sometime after completing their core catalog as I'd longsince decided this album was essential
more essential in my opinion than the 2 1/2 soundtracks, which it took me decades to add to the Archives

Daves 1st solo makes for a nice soundtrack to a doobowski
even if the songs are a bit halfformed they are all sweeping and eerie and completely relaxed
almost the opposite to his next solo album, where he was blatantly trying way too hard to be relevent, he doesnt even seem to care here and is saying exactly what he wants to say

stoopidly I missed his 84 tour that featured a lot of this material
I was dissapointed he didnt play any of this on the 87 Floyd tour, as I would have thought showcasing his own songs would have added credibility to his claim to be the legitimate leader of the band ... plus I just wanted to hear them more than Dogs of War or even some of the more predictable vintageFloyd stuff
and he never played it on his 2006 tour either, I dont think he's played any of it since

there was a live-in-studio film of him and his band performing maybe 5 of these songs in 78, done as a promotional thang but I have no idea where it was ever seen prior to circulating as a bootleg ... there was no mtv back then, Don Kirschners Rock Concert maybe?
if I can find YouTube footage from that I'll link to it here, as its pretty cool
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

This album has to be the best solo work DG did. My stand out track is Raise my Rent and as J Ed says it's not forced and there are no disco mixes either.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

This is okay. Some good songs, but all in all a little flat. You can listen to it, but it does not stick out. So I rate this a strong 3.
TioBuzzy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TioBuzzy »

Some great guitar work. It really brings back some memories of the time between Animals and The Wall.

This and "I Robot" by Alan Parson was there to tide us Floyd fans over during the period of no new Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

This record has some excellently crafted songs, and the usual virtuoso guitar work from David. Very good, but not much like a Pink Floyd album really. But that was probably David's goal, to sound different from the band. Worth checking out if you love interesting guitar rock.

DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Hudini wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:34 pm Well, I will give this album a 5 if no one will. It's a great album that holds up well from beginning to end with no really weak points, unlike Gilmour's other solo work. Possibly the only thing that annoys me on the album is that "I Can't Breathe No More" is too short.
I've done it too!
Yucateco wrote: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pm in my opinion his best solo album. Not boring like OaI and no terrible 80s production like About Face. i actually like this album quite a lot, it sounds like the "old" Floyd just before Dark Side to me.
Agree! It's a bit of a shame that this direction more or less died here... it's obvious that the band's sound could've continued in a much different direction after Animals, if David and Rick hadn't used up most of their ideas on solo albums while Roger was writing 4 LPs worth of material :shock:
30yrsydfan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm it kicks the crap out of anything waters did solo!
Agree too! (Well, at least the Waters solo albums I've heard.)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Yucateco wrote: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pmin my opinion his best solo album. Not boring like OaI and no terrible 80s production like About Face. i actually like this album quite a lot, it sounds like the "old" Floyd just before Dark Side to me.
DarkSideFreak wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:29 pmAgree! It's a bit of a shame that this direction more or less died here... it's obvious that the band's sound could've continued in a much different direction after Animals, if David and Rick hadn't used up most of their ideas on solo albums while Roger was writing 4 LPs worth of material :shock:
David Gilmour and Wet Dream combined make for an excellent supplemental album, very much along the same lines as Obscured by Clouds.

I've theorized elsewhere on here that had they actually just collaborated on an album in '78, rather than recording solo projects back to back in the same studio, they would have been more confident as a creative team, and vetoed The Wall as well as Pros and Cons, and maybe we would have "Pink Floyd (1978) Ltd."

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FUL2DVjv91