Pink Floyd's Second Single: See Emily Play

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Looking at this video, it's hard to believe that one of them would turn into grouchy old Roger Waters :P
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd's Second Single: See Emily Play

Post by danielcaux »

Ok, this may be old news to some of you, I dunno, but I was going through the lyrics of See-Saw and See Emily Play to point out some of the similarities that I find in both songs, when something kinda clicked in my mind while I was reading the Emily lyrics, just the verses without the chorus:

Emily tries but misunderstands, ah ooh
She often inclined to borrow somebody's dreams till tomorrow
Soon after dark Emily cries, ah ooh
Gazing through trees in sorrow hardly a sound till tomorrow
Put on a gown that touches the ground, ah ooh
Float on a river forever and ever, Emily

So, without the choruses, about the games for may thing, it paints a pretty depressing image, right? A girl that misundertands, who borrows somebody's dreams, cries, gazes through the trees in sorrow and finally puts on a gown that touches the ground and floats on a river FOR EVER AND EVER! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So a familiar image came to my mind:

My god this song is about a girl suicide! And you know there's a famous girl who match the whole description, Ophelia from Hamlet.

So, could it be possible?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I remember having an old Guinness Book Of Hit Singles and seeing Pink Floyd's biggest 60's hit was See Emily Play.
I fantasised about what it sounded like. When I got Relics, I had to hear it a few times to get into it as it just seemed to fly by. Like it was too fast to listen to. Soon got to love it. And it's great watching Vintage TV channel (Sky 369) to occasionally see this pop up. Although not the video though. They just link Summer Of Love footage and speed it up to match the song.

And I'll look into the Ophelia reference soon daniel!
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I remember loving this song from the moment I first heard it. It was one of the only Pink Floyd songs I had in my library before I became a full-fledged fan. The vocal harmonies and Rick Wright's keyboard work make the song for me.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Re:

Post by Enish »

snifferdog wrote:Looking at this video, it's hard to believe that one of them would turn into grouchy old Roger Waters :P
Yeah, but he mellows out later. :D